to import or not to import?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windeguy,

It all comes down to DR1 wisdom point #1: You don't know here until you've lived here. What you think will work from NA usually doesn't work out the way one envisions.

If the electricity setup doesn't give you a shock, your first bill will. As pointed out, there is a reason why most stove/ovens here are propane powered. One doesn't appreciate this fact until you live through a month, of frozen dinners, lasagnas, chickens roasted in an electric oven.

Electric water heaters another big problem here. Most are repaired with 110V heating elements because they are cheaper. By installing a 220V element, the amount of time needed to heat a given volume of water is reduced by 75% resulting in faster recovery and less actual operating time. But that's logical so there is a rule against any repair person suggesting it.

well, that makes my day..... LOL

I'm off to a party and giggling

knowing your shocking events after your arrival gives more humor to the statement

May I suggest solar to anybody??

Congratulate Bailey on his sense of humour. hahahaha

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windeguy,

It all comes down to DR1 wisdom point #1: You don't know here until you've lived here. What you think will work from NA usually doesn't work out the way one envisions.

If the electricity setup doesn't give you a shock, your first bill will. As pointed out, there is a reason why most stove/ovens here are propane powered. One doesn't appreciate this fact until you live through a month, of frozen dinners, lasagnas, chickens roasted in an electric oven.

Electric water heaters another big problem here. Most are repaired with 110V heating elements because they are cheaper. By installing a 220V element, the amount of time needed to heat a given volume of water is reduced by 75% resulting in faster recovery and less actual operating time. But that's logical so there is a rule against any repair person suggesting it.

Which is why we always recommend that people who think they want to move here rent first. For at least 6 months. See what works and what does not. Then you can come up with a plan that reduces risk if you really want to live here.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I'm curious what are you guys stuffing in a 40 footer...

A fridge, stove/oven, bed, TVs, a couple sofas, and plenty of other stuff can easily fit in a 20 footer. Are you guys not filling the containers to the top, and just putting everything on the bottom?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on one hand i understand bringing items here, we shipped many appliances. but not everything you know from home will work well in this heat and humidity, especially if combined with cleaning service provided by a dominican maid.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm curious what are you guys stuffing in a 40 footer...

A fridge, stove/oven, bed, TVs, a couple sofas, and plenty of other stuff can easily fit in a 20 footer. Are you guys not filling the containers to the top, and just putting everything on the bottom?

without a car, most would use the 20 ft... but no, not top to bottom in my case

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I had a good experience shipping my stuff from toronto

Hi all! Can anyone tell me about their experiences importing their personal belongings from another country? I know many officials are on the take and have heard horror stories of people waiting for their shipping containers for years! I really want to bring mammy of our creature comforts and kids toys. .TVs etc.... would it be better/ cheaper to try to bring in some creates? Can I trust Amy customs brokers? We Are planning to come and never look back! Really need info! Thanks! !

I used per alto brothers. Door to door all arrived no surprises

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are buying them from the wrong place then. Also, it is more than a 2 watt difference when it comes to lumens and I am buying chinese LED bulbs for two bucks. I have had one fail out of 60 so far, in the last 2 years.

Are you using the LED bulbs in the DR? If so, you are lucky no surges have burned them out.

I never purchased an LED bulb, so I am not buying them from the wrong place.

What are the wattage, price, and vendor of the LED bulbs you are speaking about that have the same 825 Lumen output with a soft white light as the 13 watt General Electric model 31064 CFL bulbs that cost $2 each imported?

GE 13-Watt Energy SmartTM - 8 Pack - 60 watt replacement - Spiral Shaped Compact Fluorescent Bulbs - Amazon.com

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While waiting for the great price and performance answer for LED bulbs, I did some research on them. Seems they are no where near as reliable and long lived as their manufacturers state. They are pushing too much power into them to try and achieve light levels and they are failing far early than claimed.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
ANYONE, who moves to the DR and says they will,..."Never Look Back", has absolutely no idea what they are getting into!!!!!!!!
They better buy an unrestricted round trip ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Buy anything you can that is marginally feasible in a first world country. There are no government consumer protections, inferior Chinese knockoffs and food shipments rejected by other countries are likely in the DR.

Assume nothing it what it appears.

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
here's what i did..

My price included the container coming to me for 2 hrs to pack

i called the local mover -
the day before they came and boxed , like any other move
moving day, they came and packed the container, like any other move

the car drives straight in... You chock the wheels and strap it down

they seal the container and drive away, next to meet at caucedo

hear that? Caucedo..... No other port... Wait for a sailing date to there
not haina, not pto plata.... Two notoriously corrupt places...... And that criticism came from the aduana !!!

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
Yes you can send a container of things down and they will arrive ok but without residency you will probably pay taxes on it. If I were you I would try to rent a condo that is furnish with most of what you will need. I would not bring furniture from North America. It probably will not fit the "island" life style. You will find people on this website to be straight forward and very direct in their feelings. It is nothing personal but we have heard your story or a similar version many times and many of the people have lived in the DR for years. Personally I don't find Sosua to be a family oriented place. It is a "party" place and if it was my choice I would not move there with a 7 year old. Also you need to realize that if you rent a free standing house outside of a gated community there are many security issues to consider. You may think you have done a lot of homework by vacationing here but I came to the DR for 20-25 years before I bought anything and there were no children involved. Can you do it yes but be sure you have a large budget to make the change. I am a little bit scared that you have said nothing about residency in your posts. That is the first thing you need to start. Do you have a reliable real estate agent, in the DR, who can answer a lot of your questions. If not I would try to find one. This is a very difficult thing to move and leave what is familiar behind. Good luck

I am VERY concerned about Sosua not being family oriented, however the best international school is in the area. I know my daughter will be missing alot not growing up in NA, but I believe she will gain alot of other cultural experience and have differnt kinds of fun then materialsim and malls..albeit, missing summer camps, dance recitals, gymnastics..etc... I want to rent in Sosua for 3 mos to get to know the island better and decide where exactly is the best place settle.We are going with a budget for rent of $800-$1000 and I'm hoping this will find me a nice penthouse with a terrace (perhaps a safer environment??) or a nice villa with a pool. I like the thought of a condo to be around people and learn as much as I can.

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
Welcome Tiff..
And so begins your journey!! Ours began just over 2 years ago..on a part time trial but within a month we knew we were coming back!! Went back to Canada and sold most of our belongings..We arrived with "8" assorted bags..including suitcases,
duffle bags (awesome for soft goods,stuff them!!! they weigh nothing!!!) Rubbermaid style totes..those with locking flip over handles work the best..again lightweight and great for household stuff..odd shapes.we brought coffeemaker/toaster/kitchen stuff etc!! All in exactly 400 lbs!!! WestJet is the best..will allow up to 3 extra p.p on top of your 1 free!! Bought a great used 37" TV here..brought a 22" with us. You can find most(but not all) things here. What area are you moving to?? POP airport gave us a once-over..went through 7 of 8..guess they got tired of looking at used tools/household stuff/personal crap!
Unless you are shipping a car/household major appliances/furniture ..easier to not pay the $$$$ thousands to ship in a bunch of things you can buy here..save yourself the headaches..brokers fees/shipping fees / customs taxes / tips!!
Whenever we make a trip back I stock up on those things not found on North Coast..Like Kraft PB Light!! addicted..Amazon is also great for shopping..friends visiting the area usually check in to see how my supply of P.B. is doing LOL..
Cost was less than $300 then..fees have increased a bit but still worth it.If you can : fly WestJet!!! Many airlines now limit you to 2 bags..both paid for! Message me if you have any questions..Good Luck Tiff..and ignore the negative comments ..make your own decisions on life here!!

Thank you Katie :) I am nervous and excited!! My husband is pensioning out from General Motors and we can live a more comfortable there at 50 years old than staying in Canada and having to work ..and be in the COLD. Where did you settle? We are going to rent in SOsua for a few mos as we know the town until we get the lay of the land. I am 44 and we are bringing our 7 year old daughter so I need to stay near the ISS school as it appears to be the best on the island. However I am terrified to raise her near all the prostitution in Sosua...I know she is going to have a completely different life being raised there, both good and bad. I want to bring a container of our creature comforts, large screen tvs, computer/desk, pictures, makeup table LOL..things like that

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
This is what we plan to do !! That way if we ship a container we willk now what to bring as fr as generaters..circuit breakers,
wiring etc, my husband is great with all that!!

Tiff2015

Mar 3, 2015
If i could do it again, I would ship EVERYTHING we had!! Basically bought all the same things we had back in Canada through Price Smart etc..It is so hard to get quality things and even if it is crap it is more expensive! Good luck with what you choose!

Good to know Harley!! Is it difficult to get a car through? I heard it was..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I read earlier that its next to impossible to get a car in unless you're a diplomat or something..is this true??

each incoming resident is entitled to one car.... very low duty

need to have owned it for one year and needds to be less than 5yrs old

thats it........

you heard incorrectly... be careful here (DR1)... lots of bad informtion

lots of good, but lots bad too

do your research