Today’s elections

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think that 27 February holiday will bring out a lot of Protestors... hopefully peaceful at that.

I agree. Just about everybody I've spoken to says they're going to the Plaza de Bandera today. Could be interesting to see how it goes.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Demonstrations are being held all over the world. My son is going to one in Belgium today.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Can someone clarify the liquor ban during the election? I have always deliberately avoided election time in other countries, but this time it's been moved right in the middle of my 2 week trip.

Does the ban start 6am Saturday or 6am Sunday on polling day? Also, is it total or partial? For instance, you can't buy in stores, but you can at hotels and bars.

Also, when does it end? When polling ends on Sunday night or is it all the way into Monday morning?

Granted. I know I'm talking about the DR, so all rules are flexible. I'm just trying to understand the norm.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Can someone clarify the liquor ban during the election? I have always deliberately avoided election time in other countries, but this time it's been moved right in the middle of my 2 week trip.

Does the ban start 6am Saturday or 6am Sunday on polling day? Also, is it total or partial? For instance, you can't buy in stores, but you can at hotels and bars.

Also, when does it end? When polling ends on Sunday night or is it all the way into Monday morning?

Granted. I know I'm talking about the DR, so all rules are flexible. I'm just trying to understand the norm.
6am Saturday hotels and bars also ...tourism hotel can apply for exception to rule...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Until this year the ban would start at 6am the day of the election and went until midnght. They discovered that most Dominicans would stock up the before(what a surprise), so now, the ban starts at 6am the day before the election.

So now, Dominicans will stock up two days before election!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Out of sight, out of mind. Until there is an announcement that a bunch of someones are sick in this country, CoVid-19 doesn't really exist.

I thought in yesterdays news report of the three Romanians and the 1 Dominican being held for observation in the isolation unit, the CoVid test results would be announced in the afternoon. Wonder what happened to those?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Out of sight, out of mind. Until there is an announcement that a bunch of someones are sick in this country, CoVid-19 doesn't really exist.

I thought in yesterdays news report of the three Romanians and the 1 Dominican being held for observation in the isolation unit, the CoVid test results would be announced in the afternoon. Wonder what happened to those?

Shouldn't this go to the other thread discussing COV-19?

Anyway,
Coronavirus test negative for Romanian isolated in Ramón de Lara hospital
https://m.diariolibre.com/actualidad/salud/sale-negativa-a-coronavirus-prueba-realizada-a-rumano-aislado-en-hospital-ramon-de-lara-HC17379187?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Yes and the sun will set in the West tomorrow evening.

You are suggesting a patronage system is workable by "meaningful Government Bearucrats? We call that Capitalism in the US.

Political patronage is a nice way of saying embezellment, fraud and serious financial crimes.

I do not suggest it is right.... but I am suggesting it exists... I call it disgusting and cheating good honest people out of a meaningful job.
And yes, I have seen it and know of several people who live as Party faithfuls.
But yes, it is indeed a form of embezzlement ....

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Until this year the ban would start at 6am the day of the election and went until midnght. They discovered that most Dominicans would stock up the before(what a surprise), so now, the ban starts at 6am the day before the election.

So now, Dominicans will stock up two days before election!
****, forgot to stock up. Guess tomorrow/midnight is first option?

Anyway, happy elections.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
****, forgot to stock up. Guess tomorrow/midnight is first option?

Anyway, happy elections.

I think it is until 12 hours after closing the polling stations.... :cry:
But I am sure you will get something at your colmado of your confidence... ;);)

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I think it is until 12 hours after closing the polling stations.... :cry:
But I am sure you will get something at your colmado of your confidence... ;);)
Very right you were, beer and rum as well.
No problems

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The ban is from 6 a.m. on Sat. to 6 a.m. on Monday.

I figured out that it's not because they don't want Dominicans voting drunk; they don't want the vote counters counting drunk. As counting is a skill that eludes most of them anyway......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I got a bit of resistance but settled it with -

SELLING alcohol is illegal
If you GIVE me a bottle - I'll pay you tomorrow - you're not selling

Go with the flow.............

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
They were selling at a restaurant in Boca Chica today too. Not sure if restaurants count or not.

Me too, pleasantly surprised at dinner, beer served. Touristy restaurants excluded from the ban I think.

Went to CalleJon Cabarete to look at the crowds waiting for the election results. Very nice experience, happy people full of life, cheering for every result coming in, or not.

Freddy won, I even got a real bear hug from the man outside Janets. Love it when streetlife and elections go like this.