Tom Whitehead - RIP

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Our thoughts and condolences go out to Tanya and family. He was certainly one of the "good guys" and his loss will be felt by the entire north coast community. A sad day ...

Bob K

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
RIP, I never new a member here that went by that name. Was that his actual username?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Tom, along with his wife, was a true animal lover. Today this post was made on the FB page of Dogs and Cats of the Dominican Republic, the link has a video of a dog named Fergie that they rescued.

"We lost a very close friend of the animals here in the Dominican Republic last night when our close friend Tom Whitehead lost his 4 year battle against cancer. Tom was truly an inspiration to all with his always positive attitude and his ever present smile. Tanya has also been truly amazing to us as she has stood by Tom's side throughout the last few years, always providing support, comfort, and strength with a concern more for how others were doing than her own self interest. Click on the link below for Fergie to find out why Tom and Tanya are my heroes. Nothing says more about this amazing couple than when 2 years ago they were returning from a treatment for one of Tom's brain tumors in Santiago and they immediately turned around on a 4 lane highway when they saw an animal in distress. It turns out the dog they eventually found and took home who they named Fergie was burned alive and left on the side of the road for dead. Only would this amazing couple put an animals needs ahead of theirs. Click on the link below to find out why Tom and Tanya are truly my heroes. Tom, enjoy all the dozens of dogs meeting you at the rainbow bridge that you saved and say Hi to Plexico for me. We'll miss you buddy."

http://www.dogsandcatsdr.com/stories-1

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sad news. Condolences to Tom's family and friends. Yet another taken by cancer far too early.

Would be interested to hear people's opinion on this doctor about cancer. It's doing the rounds on social media at the moment. I hope that I'm not being insensitive, but when people are grieving over cancer victims, it's hard not to think about the dark side of modern medicine.

[video=youtube_share;z0DAmmwOPWA]https://youtu.be/z0DAmmwOPWA[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
beez,

the treatment I was talking to him about is 'immunotherapy'.... a boost to the immune system.

The drug is Pembrolizumab - known as Keytruda.

Chemotherapy is not that common any more for melanoma, they tell me

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
beez,

the treatment I was talking to him about is 'immunotherapy'.... a boost to the immune system.

The drug is Pembrolizumab - known as Keytruda.

Chemotherapy is not that common any more for melanoma, they tell me

Lots of research going into that at the moment.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en.html

It's expected to be going mainstream next year.

I've got my fingers crossed.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
JD,
If you're talking the Pembrol, it went mainstream in the US last October or so and May 6 in Canada, this year.

Trials are over and approved in both countries.

I missed the trial period by 10 days, meaning I must pay for the treatments, no longer free.
I am pre-existing for skin issues on my insurance.

Tom was asking me about this drug.