Top Wine Stores in Santo Domingo

Which do you consider the best wine store in Santo Domingo?

• El Catador

• Cava Alta

• La Bodega

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Santo Domingo has a developing wine market. While most of the wines found in places like Sirena tend to be from Chile, Spain and select places (California seems to be popular), there are wine selling specialty stores where thry even offer tasting rooms and events. They aleo sell other liquors such as high quality scotch. Almost everything they sell is imported from around the world.

Do DR1ers prefer one of these? (Click on the following links to see pictures of their stores )

El Catador

Cava Alta (click and scroll down)

La Bodega (You can move in all directions and tour the entire store by clicking each image in any direction.)

Last edited:
Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm constantly amazed at these stores occupying prime real estate in the center of the city.

Also the financial inversion they make on their locations. Not your typical mom and pop store.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I'm constantly amazed at these stores occupying prime real estate in the center of the city.

Also the financial inversion they make on their locations. Not your typical mom and pop store.
There are many businesses here in DR that I stay in awe of the colossal investment in real estate and inventory. It would take a few generations minimum just to break even. Like the great salsa...

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Colossal indeed.

I know of many, many businesses here that were built with a huge financial investment only to fall flat on their face.

Johnny Rocket's is a good example. The guy that built the autoadornos place on the corner of 27 de feb and Teodoro Chasseriau that only lasted a couple of months come to mind.

There are hundreds of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotLurking

Administration

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
dr1.com
Bravo has a great selection, wine app shows lots of 5 star wines. Prices are good especially if you do the 3 for 2 deal. I'm from California.. Better to avoid central valley (esp Lodi) . Lodi is like armpit soup and butt coffee. (I have had coffee in Lodi) lodi and central valley is like a truck stop.

If you see california wine in DR check the location.

Go for Dry Creek or east. (Alexander Valley) North of Napa. Those are top-shelf wines. Better wines there! I used to live next door to Ferrari, they have a $30 (in US) white wine (yes i'm a red wine guy) and this is to die for, excellent. The old lady there used to yell at me about my dog barking lol.

Attachments

• FC-2021-Fume-304x773-1.png
    FC-2021-Fume-304x773-1.png
    164.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited: