Toronto Layover flying into POP

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Does anyone have any experience with Toronto layovers and checked bags into POP?

Flying through Toronto from other parts of Canada to Punta Cana, they will almost always check your bags straight through if your layover is less than 8-12 hours. They meaning Air Canada and occasionally West Jet.

Is it the same into Puerto Plata? We’ll be visiting the north coast after a 7-8 year absence.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Funny you should ask. I flew Halifax-Toronto-Puerto Plata on the 7th and although the flight went pretty well, haven't seen my checked bag since then.

Nobody will answer the phone nor emails. I am wired to see the amusement in things, so this has been quite entertaining. Best part is the online paperwork, where you will need the photo of your missing bag. Fortunately any photo will do.

Been taking a taxi to POP on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to inquire with the local agents from Air Canada. All other days won't work since there are no flights there from Air Canada.

Could go on forever but rest assured, this is the truth. Have been having fun with emails to the airline, one sided as they are. My go to line is "thank you for the latitude given me in my search for the lost bag". That is to say thanks for ignoring me and leaving me to my own devices. The taxi bills are adding up since nobody is answering the phone or emails at POP and YHZ.

• Wow
Reactions: AlaPlaya

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I don’t know if you have the option of flying through Montreal to get to POP. Less confusion than Toronto and shorter waiting lines. Friends of mine went through last week.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Funny you should ask. I flew Halifax-Toronto-Puerto Plata on the 7th and although the flight went pretty well, haven't seen my checked bag since then.

Nobody will answer the phone nor emails. I am wired to see the amusement in things, so this has been quite entertaining. Best part is the online paperwork, where you will need the photo of your missing bag. Fortunately any photo will do.

Been taking a taxi to POP on Tuesdays and Wednesdays to inquire with the local agents from Air Canada. All other days won't work since there are no flights there from Air Canada.

Could go on forever but rest assured, this is the truth. Have been having fun with emails to the airline, one sided as they are. My go to line is "thank you for the latitude given me in my search for the lost bag". That is to say thanks for ignoring me and leaving me to my own devices. The taxi bills are adding up since nobody is answering the phone or emails at POP and YHZ.
i always take pictures of my luggage before flight. AA has lost or left behind my luggage in Miami twice, Air Canada once, and West Jet once. All 4 times it was delived to me in Jarabacoa several days later.

Jan 9, 2004
i always take pictures of my luggage before flight. AA has lost or left behind my luggage in Miami twice, Air Canada once, and West Jet once. All 4 times it was delived to me in Jarabacoa several days later.

I have only had one misdirected piece of luggage that ended up in PUJ because the plane had no more capacity on the SDQ run I was on.

Fortunately it arrived the next day.

But the point of taking a picture is a good one…..especially now with flights being cancelled/delayed and the bags piling up…..and some invariably lost or missing their tags.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Suppose taking a photo is a good idea in case London Fog, soft sided blue and handles with powder blue duct tape isn't enough. Inside has 4 Corona cooler bags loaded with stuff like pistachios. Get the feeling somebody got into the nuts and couldn't stop. Either that or the bag is in the baggage claim area at POP which doesn't answer the phone nor am I allowed to visit. Tried to make eye contact with them from afar but to no avail as security will not let me through the door.

Good news is my fancy expensive credit card should be of assistance after my return home.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I don’t know if you have the option of flying through Montreal to get to POP. Less confusion than Toronto and shorter waiting lines. Friends of mine went through last week.
Air Canada always gives Toronto as the stop, but Montreal would be fine. I’ll look into it next time.
Lately all WestJet flights to the DR have been $600-$700 more and include 2+ layovers.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I’ve only ever lost a bag once in my life and it was with Air Canada. They had it back to me in about 6 days, delivered to my land location, far away from any major centre. I believe they said if the time exceeded a week, they would have to financially compensate me.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The last time I flew out of POP was when I volunteered up there in 2013. My bag was heavy and the ticket agent at the counter tried to charge me some ridiculous amount, I think $300. I knew the bag was heavy and I was willing to pay whatever the Sunwing policy was, but no where near $300. I had poor Spanish at that time and did my best to argue that I wasn’t going to pay it.

A guy who worked at the airport who appeared to be a supervisor of some sort walked by behind the counter. I remember he had a European accent and was short. I called him over and told him what was going on. He called them on it and matters quickly resolved. If he hadn’t been there, I’d have probably missed the flight.

Slowmo I don’t know about POP but in PUJ, those ticket counter agents change their company shirts depending on the flight. So they don’t actually work for the airline but rather for the airport.

I hope you find your bag.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
As far as luggage being checked through when flying into POP from Toronto, does anyone know about that?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Air canada should be able to tell you that. I have flown from Vancouver-Toronto- puerto plata with luggage checked through. West Jet.

Reactions: Auryn

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
As far as luggage being checked through when flying into POP from Toronto, does anyone know about that?
In theory, the luggage is supposed to meet you at POP. On the way home, you have to pick it up at YYZ before your connection. Also on the way home, your duty free spirits have to be in your checked luggage if you need a connecting flight home.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Slowmo I don’t know about POP but in PUJ, those ticket counter agents change their company shirts depending on the flight. So they don’t actually work for the airline but rather for the airport.

I hope you find your bag.
I kinda figured out the agents change shirts, however they seem to not know any basic info regarding Air Canada flights.

Have free checked bags in this case, however it is comforting to know that they are willing to refund the baggage fee if they lose your bag. At this stage, I am indifferent about its return as long as Air Canada has to pay as much as possible to return it to me. Hoping it shows up at POP while I am at home in YHZ.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I always put my baggage tag with my name and contact information, email address etc. inside a pocket of my checked bag in with the hope that the airline would check there if it’s ever lost.

I have not taken photos but I will start.

It’s an overnight layover, less than 12 hours. If Air Canada will check my bags from original departure to POP I will be very happy.

Home bound from PUJ-YYZ they will never check bags through regardless of layover time.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I always put my baggage tag with my name and contact information, email address etc. inside a pocket of my checked bag in with the hope that the airline would check there if it’s ever lost.

I have not taken photos but I will start.

It’s an overnight layover, less than 12 hours. If Air Canada will check my bags from original departure to POP I will be very happy.

Home bound from PUJ-YYZ they will never check bags through regardless of layover time.
Because Toronto is where you are entering Canada from a foreign country so bags have to go through customs. I often fly out of Vancouver to the DR through the states. My bags go through US customs in Vancouver so my bags go all the way through to the DR.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I assume I won’t have to pick them up,
but it’s definitely possible that I will.

dinosinc

Mar 3, 2016
WJ from YYC through YYZ to POP luggage always arrives in destination unless your layover is greater than 10 hrs, that what I been told

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
This just in....Air Canada just landed with no luggage on board on my return home from Toronto- Halifax. They must have tied several of their long standing records..... most personal luggage lost on a return trip.....all......least luggage delivered on a full flight......none.

However, they just replied to my first email 15 days ago and are working vigilantly to find the stuff. The irony is I always bring lots of toothbrushes and toothpaste to give away in the DR and now have none for myself twice in 2 weeks.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This just in....Air Canada just landed with no luggage on board on my return home from Toronto- Halifax. They must have tied several of their long standing records..... most personal luggage lost on a return trip.....all......least luggage delivered on a full flight......none.

However, they just replied to my first email 15 days ago and are working vigilantly to find the stuff. The irony is I always bring lots of toothbrushes and toothpaste to give away in the DR and now have none for myself twice in 2 weeks.
I'm not sure that falls into the "lost" category.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

I stumbled across this article and thought I would pass it along.
If it's any comfort, at least your bag is not suffering a lonely fate.
It appears that Toronto is the place where suitcases go to die these days.
Air Canada is suffering from the same problem that is afflicting many companies following the disaster that was Covid.
Shortages of employees.

Reactions: slowmo