Tourism in DR could restart with PGA Tour in September

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
11,990
1,807
93
Corales-Golf-Course-Punta-Cana-Resort-and-Club-1024x574.jpg


September may be the month to get the motors going again; the PGA could be the winning card.

Frank Rainieri of Puntacana Group said it earlier this month. The PGA Tournament, now on the books for September, can be the best playing card for the reopening of the Dominican tourism industry. He explained that the best golf players have not been able to play in tournaments because of Covid-19, so the timing of the September tournament is perfect. The top players will come to the Dominican Republic. It could be one of the first global sports to restart. And it would be happening in our Punta Cana, where the country’s boom of tourism took off 50 years ago. “We will have more audience and coverage than ever before,” says Rainier

The Puntacana Group is the sponsor of the tournament, an US$8 million investment. “We will be able to hold the event that will...

Continue reading...
 
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Caonabo and johne

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
7,339
2,948
113
"the best playing card for the reopening of the Dominican tourism industry."

And, this is in September.
 
  • Like
Reactions: aarhus

GusFring

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2020
532
272
63
The best golfers who are ranked 51st or worse on the PGA tour.

The top 50 in the world will be in Austin at a WCC event.

Don't get me wrong, a huge happening for the DR if it goes off. Plenty of PR. It does not bring in zillions of tourists but would certainly be excellent PR.
 

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
5,608
1,976
113
"the best playing card for the reopening of the Dominican tourism industry."

And, this is in September.
Makes sense to me. People watch (TV) Caribbean golf during the fall and winter months. There is also a major event in Westchester NY in Sept for which is probably one that was to happen earlier. IDK , all sport schedules are crazy now.
 

beekaynz

Member
Aug 12, 2011
83
4
18
The best golfers who are ranked 51st or worse on the PGA tour.

The top 50 in the world will be in Austin at a WCC event.

Don't get me wrong, a huge happening for the DR if it goes off. Plenty of PR. It does not bring in zillions of tourists but would certainly be excellent PR.
YOU are wrong. That week was supposed to be the Ryder cup, not a WGC event. Ryder Cup is postponed now. So it could attract some big names if they want to travel here.
 

Wheathead

Member
Sep 10, 2011
103
12
18
YOU are wrong. That week was supposed to be the Ryder cup, not a WGC event. Ryder Cup is postponed now. So it could attract some big names if they want to travel here.

The WCG event was the same weekend in March and it conflicted with the Punta Cana event. Hoever I don't believe it was rescheduled yet so PC may have more top golfers if they want to take the risk...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Caonabo

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
1,077
241
63
YOU are wrong. That week was supposed to be the Ryder cup, not a WGC event. Ryder Cup is postponed now. So it could attract some big names if they want to travel here.

2020 PGA Fall Revised Schedule.

SEP 17 - 20 2020 U.S. Open .... Winged Foot GC, Mamaroneck, NY

SEP 25 - 27 2020 Ryder Cup......Whistling Straits, Kohler, WI

*SEP 24 - 27 2020 Corales Puntacana Resort & Club Championship Corales Golf Club, Punta Cana, DOM

*Hopefully spectators will be allowed as the field will be better than it has ever been for the DR.
 
  • Love
Reactions: johne

GusFring

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2020
532
272
63
YOU are wrong. That week was supposed to be the Ryder cup, not a WGC event. Ryder Cup is postponed now. So it could attract some big names if they want to travel here.
I stand corrected. Forgot about changed schedules. 1st 2 were opposite WGCs I think.

Anyway, its a hack event. Big names are not coming for a $3 million dollar total purse. The winner takes 500K. It's not worth their time. FedEx points are important though.

So you can go out and follow Rory Sabattini, Graham McDowell, John Daly and DL Three Sticks along with the 12 other spectators on the golf course.

A big name would make a huge difference.

Rainieri pays for the event, hosts it at his golf course and is the only one that benefits from it.

It is better than bad or no publicity. No question.
 

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
5,608
1,976
113
I stand corrected. Forgot about changed schedules. 1st 2 were opposite WGCs I think.

Anyway, its a hack event. Big names are not coming for a $3 million dollar total purse. The winner takes 500K. It's not worth their time. FedEx points are important though.

So you can go out and follow Rory Sabattini, Graham McDowell, John Daly and DL Three Sticks along with the 12 other spectators on the golf course.

A big name would make a huge difference.

Rainieri pays for the event, hosts it at his golf course and is the only one that benefits from it.

It is better than bad or no publicity. No question.
Maybe you and I could qualify for "The Hack Event"? I could always use an extra $500K. LOL. Let me know
 
  • Like
Reactions: GusFring

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
28,448
3,281
113
Well- the PGA Tour just had a couple of problems...
are having them

not looking good for anything

too many pos tests and lack of attention to protocol
 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
28,448
3,281
113
Found the article
======================================
from the The Telegraph - UK

The PGA Tour’s coronavirus “issue” has become so stark, with five players withdrawing from this week’s field, that the players and caddies have been warned that if they keep failing to follow protocols there will be “severe repercussions” and the future of the circuit itself could be threatened.


After world No 4 Brooks Koepka, last week’s winner Webb Simpson, former US Open champion Graeme McDowell and crack American youngster Cameron Champ withdrew on the eve of the Tour’s third restart tournament, many expected the commissioner, Jay Monahan, to announce a cancellation of the event in Hartford especially as Connecticut had just announced a 14-day quarantine for visitors arriving from the many American states where cases are rising.


But instead Monahan insisted that the show must go on, waxing in his highly lyrical way about “the game’s values”.


But there was at least a glimpse of candour when he spoke of the memo sent out to the players and caddies at lunchtime, instructing them to get in line after repeated flouting of social-distancing regulations.


While the players and caddies have been advised to steer clear of restaurants and bars, those guidelines were apparently not so much ignored as ridiculed in Hilton Head Island last week.


“All of us have an extraordinary responsibility to follow those protocols,” Monahan said. “For any individual that does not, there will be serious repercussions, and I’m not going to get into the specifics of it.”


There have been three positive tests in all, with Koepka’s caddie, Northern Irishman Ricky Elliot, and McDowell’s bagman, Ken Comboy discovered to be infected as well as Champ.


They happen to be close friends and Chase Koepka, who is staying with elder brother Brooks, felt obliged to withdraw, despite only earning his place in a play-off in Monday qualifying.


Elliot asked to be retested and it came back negative. He had to withdraw anyway, but the test system is plainly erratic – which Monahan put down to the “nature of the virus”.


The elephant in the virtual interview room was Simpson’s premature departure. Monahan was never asked for confirmation but it is understood that the daughter of Simpson, a father of five, had tested positive.


Sources say other members of the entourages of the pros have also been struck down. Plainly it was time for action.


“Everybody needs to know that our future, our ability to sustain this business and to impact the communities where we play and to create so many jobs is contingent on our ability to follow these protocols,” Monahan said.


“So when we have instances where someone hasn’t, they will be dealt with, and as I said, the consequences will be significant.”
 

GusFring

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2020
532
272
63
Found the article
======================================
from the The Telegraph - UK

The PGA Tour’s coronavirus “issue” has become so stark, with five players withdrawing from this week’s field, that the players and caddies have been warned that if they keep failing to follow protocols there will be “severe repercussions” and the future of the circuit itself could be threatened.


After world No 4 Brooks Koepka, last week’s winner Webb Simpson, former US Open champion Graeme McDowell and crack American youngster Cameron Champ withdrew on the eve of the Tour’s third restart tournament, many expected the commissioner, Jay Monahan, to announce a cancellation of the event in Hartford especially as Connecticut had just announced a 14-day quarantine for visitors arriving from the many American states where cases are rising.


But instead Monahan insisted that the show must go on, waxing in his highly lyrical way about “the game’s values”.


But there was at least a glimpse of candour when he spoke of the memo sent out to the players and caddies at lunchtime, instructing them to get in line after repeated flouting of social-distancing regulations.


While the players and caddies have been advised to steer clear of restaurants and bars, those guidelines were apparently not so much ignored as ridiculed in Hilton Head Island last week.


“All of us have an extraordinary responsibility to follow those protocols,” Monahan said. “For any individual that does not, there will be serious repercussions, and I’m not going to get into the specifics of it.”


There have been three positive tests in all, with Koepka’s caddie, Northern Irishman Ricky Elliot, and McDowell’s bagman, Ken Comboy discovered to be infected as well as Champ.


They happen to be close friends and Chase Koepka, who is staying with elder brother Brooks, felt obliged to withdraw, despite only earning his place in a play-off in Monday qualifying.


Elliot asked to be retested and it came back negative. He had to withdraw anyway, but the test system is plainly erratic – which Monahan put down to the “nature of the virus”.


The elephant in the virtual interview room was Simpson’s premature departure. Monahan was never asked for confirmation but it is understood that the daughter of Simpson, a father of five, had tested positive.


Sources say other members of the entourages of the pros have also been struck down. Plainly it was time for action.


“Everybody needs to know that our future, our ability to sustain this business and to impact the communities where we play and to create so many jobs is contingent on our ability to follow these protocols,” Monahan said.


“So when we have instances where someone hasn’t, they will be dealt with, and as I said, the consequences will be significant.”
Thank you for posting. Rory had tweeted that this address by the commission "didn't sound promising" late last night.

Nick Watney and 3 others tested pos last week.

High fives, pulling flag sticks, going out to bars and restaurants....if they want to play they better start adhering to protocols.

Wow.
 

GusFring

Well-known member
Apr 15, 2020
532
272
63
Is it stupidity --- or arrogance ??

Screwing up their own lives & incomes
Yes and yes and complacency. I think players will tighten it up going forward but impossible to orevent new cases. So many moving pieces on a traveling tour event. Workers, players, families...endless variables.