tourist card cost to be incorporated into airline ticket price

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think generally this is better, less queue on arrivals and also I bet a lot these $10 bills found legs and walked out of government coffers, this way they get paid into their account directly via airlines, many are already doing that for $20 exit fee.

As for DR residents, think of it as a tax so your dear government will build all those hospitals, schools, roads and bridges for you that promises.... lol

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I believe it was your term "Horsepucky" that was used earlier within this thread, albeit in an incorrect manner which you later apologized for. It may be time once again to rewind the tape as you are clearly confused between the terms arrival and departure. You seem to have had a rough time upon a recent departure, but this topic is directed specifically in regards to arrivals, and the new procedures that are planned regarding them. Are you slightly addled?

No, senor. While slightly aged, definitely NOT addled. May I suggest that you yourself refer back to the topic which relates to the tourist card which is used for both arrival and departure.
While I'm generally a well-mannered, easy-going fella, you may want to bugger off while you can.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The same US20 if you stay 2 weeks or 4 months????

1.  It costs $10 for a tourist to enter

2. It costs EVERYONE $20 departure tax to leave. For most, it’s already in your ticket price.  

3.  If a tourist stays over 30 days, they are technically illegal, and must pay a fine at airport immigration area upon leaving.  Fines begin at 2500 pesos at day 31, and go up from there

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The departure tax is always $20 USD regardless of how long you stay and is usually included in your airline ticket price. Some travel companies and charter airlines do not collect this tax so it needs to be paid at the gate before your flight. If you need to pay there will be an announcement made.

The overstay fees/fines for those who have stayed in country longer than 30 days are a different tax and those if applicable are paid before you are allowed to clear immigration.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Now if they could stop hitting you up for $10 the minute you land in the DR.  Some welcome!
Thought this was about exit but realized this may be what the thread is about.  Can't delete so may moderator can.

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Just booked Sunwing last night from Canada to PUJ for travel in January 2018, I specifically asked Sunwing WHY we still have to pay the $10 in and the $20 out as there was "supposed" to be a new rule/law in the D.R. ... she had no clue.

Sunwing/Signature has never included the entry and exit fee in their airline or package prices.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
My guess would be that it will be included in all tickets Sold after 1/1. I might also guess that charter type airlines still will do it different just as with the Departure Tax. Just my opinion.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The Diario Libre article, as translated using Google Translate.....

SANTO DOMINGO. The Directorate General of Internal Taxes (DGII) announced that the entry into force of the payment of the tourism card through air and sea tickets was postponed until April 1, 2018.
In a press release, the tax authority pointed out that the "coordination that is required to be carried out between related state entities, the international organizations that have an impact on the matter, as well as the companies dedicated to the international transport of passengers by air and sea, will imply having a period of 90 calendar days to carry out the necessary technological and operational adjustments for the effective implementation of the payment mechanism ".
The entry into force of the measure was scheduled for this Monday, January 1, 2018. Currently the payment of the tourist card is made at the entrance to the Dominican Republic, at a box office prior to airport or port migration.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The more things change, the more they stay the same. Life in the RD.

hardrockminer

Feb 4, 2017
Arrived Jan 5 2018

The Diario Libre article, as translated using Google Translate.....

SANTO DOMINGO. The Directorate General of Internal Taxes (DGII) announced that the entry into force of the payment of the tourism card through air and sea tickets was postponed until April 1, 2018.
In a press release, the tax authority pointed out that the "coordination that is required to be carried out between related state entities, the international organizations that have an impact on the matter, as well as the companies dedicated to the international transport of passengers by air and sea, will imply having a period of 90 calendar days to carry out the necessary technological and operational adjustments for the effective implementation of the payment mechanism ".
The entry into force of the measure was scheduled for this Monday, January 1, 2018. Currently the payment of the tourist card is made at the entrance to the Dominican Republic, at a box office prior to airport or port migration.

I just arrived last week with Air Canada and was not given a tourist card. I think it was to due to a last minute plane substitute in Toronto (YYZ) When we hit customs they were expecting tourist cards from us and held us for about 20 minutes (11:00 pm) trying to figure out what to do with us. Mean while nobody from Aircanada Crew or airport came to our rescue. They closed the cabin door until we left as far as I could figure out. So we have about 150 Canadians looking for US cash ($10) to pay for the tourist card. Some of us had US but were held up by people not understanding and having to go back to get money exchanged. The whole issue took us about one hour to complete. I did send a letter of disappointment off to AC over their lack of concern.

As for exit fees the following is on my return ticket
Airport Authority Fee - Dominican Republic 19.06
Airport Infrastructure Fee - Dominican Republic 20.71
Airport Departure Tax - Dominican Republic 25.41
Transportation Tax - Dominican Republic 36.54

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
Just booked Sunwing last night from Canada to PUJ for travel in January 2018, I specifically asked Sunwing WHY we still have to pay the $10 in and the $20 out as there was "supposed" to be a new rule/law in the D.R. ... she had no clue.

Sunwing/Signature has never included the entry and exit fee in their airline or package prices.

UPDATE.... so we land in PUJ, enter the building, queue up, lady hands us $10 bills, walk 3 feet, hand over the $10 bill and on our way :)

Now, does anyone know about the finger printing procedure? Can't find any threads on it here.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
UPDATE.... so we land in PUJ, enter the building, queue up, lady hands us $10 bills, walk 3 feet, hand over the $10 bill and on our way :)

Now, does anyone know about the finger printing procedure? Can't find any threads on it here.

With whom was "the lady" affiliated with? Your airline, or was it a Dominican representative?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
With whom was "the lady" affiliated with? Your airline, or was it a Dominican representative?

I have to guess it was at least initiated by Sunwing. Probably because it was included in the ticket price, but something failed somewhere with the new process?

On the other hand, handing someone a 10, then walking three feet and the flyer hands that same 10 to somebody else does sound very Dominican.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005

In this day and age that is just ridiculously funny, tell me that was a joke and you made it up.... ! lol

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Quote Originally Posted by debinatore  View Post
In this day and age that is just ridiculously funny, tell me that was a joke and you made it up.... ! lol     Appropriately enough, the implementation of the new regulations were postponed until April Fools day.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
When travelling via Canadian Airlines (Sin Sunwing) the departure and tourist card are included.
However they do state that if you loose the card you will have to pay $20 upon leaving... not true Airlines have to get the procedure straight.
When traveling through USA we had to pay the entry Tourist $10.00 fee at the in-kiosk.
There was probably a fee taken when I arrived at USA as well.... but hidden within the Ticket price.

Don't want to shake too many people up,but, if I am paying $1100.oo CDN for a return flight from Halifax to POP ... the cost of the Tourist card is not even on my mind.... as we say ''the cost of doing business''.
If the DR Government makes a few bucks on double dipping . Good on them. Every other Country does!
One time in the past we had to pay an additional $10.00 at the Montreal airport as a Airport improvement tax...Cash!
The cost of doing business. It is also now included in tickets.

When you look at the cost of the actual flight and then count in all the taxes it is plain to see that the actual flight was cheap.
What sticks in my craw are the 'Temporary' charges that somehow become permanent.
You all have a good day.
''If you want to dance, you gotta pay the fiddler''.
Russell

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I suspect that the inclusion of the the $10 tourist card in the cost of the airline ticket is another attempt by the DR Govt to remove the temptation for those payments to go missing a la the immigration fines. There are probably boxes and boxes of bulk tourist cards sitting somewhere so it makes no sense to install a pay & print system so that checks and balances can be implemented. Just easier to have the airlines collect the fee, hand out the card on the plane and then be billed $10 per passenger listed on the flight manifest.

Probably only a handful of charter airlines were not collecting the fee to begin with. Sunwing still not doing so at this time is indicative of a purchasing system that is not very flexible in its programming or resistance by the airline for some reason.