Tourist cards

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
We'll be visiting for 4 months, know we need tourist cards which are good for 30 days.
In previous years we've just paid the overstay fee on departure.
Is it worth the trouble/expence of extending the tourist card?

Our nearest airport is POP.
The article in the link below doesn't specify if it can be done at POP or what the fee is.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
It's easy to do and you do it all online and you don't need to pay until you leave. The link is here: (top right corner of that page has an English option):

I did it for someone a couple of weeks ago. You need i) a scan of the photo page of your passport ii) a scan of the entry stamp and iii) your return ticket. And you basically just fill in a form and upload these scans, and they then email you back with a certificate saying you are entitled to stay for the 120 days. You can pay online at this point or at the airport when you leave, but the key thing is that during your stay you are here legally. So as there is no extra cost, I would suggest you do it. I know we usually have a 50 page discussion about whether it is worth bothering to do this, but my opinion is that if something terrible happened like a car accident or you were arrested or you were rushed to hospital with Covid, it would be better if your stay had been legally extended by Migracion rather than having illegally overstayed on a 30 day tourist card.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
New Migracion website (in Englsh) allows you to extned by Credit Card.....120 days

It's easy to do and you do it all online and you don't need to pay until you leave. The link is here: (top right corner of that page has an English option):

I did it for someone a couple of weeks ago. You need i) a scan of the photo page of your passport ii) a scan of the entry stamp and iii) your return ticket. And you basically just fill in a form and upload these scans, and they then email you back with a certificate saying you are entitled to stay for the 120 days. You can pay online at this point or at the airport when you leave, but the key thing is that during your stay you are here legally. So as there is no extra cost, I would suggest you do it. I know we usually have a 50 page discussion about whether it is worth bothering to do this, but my opinion is that if something terrible happened like a car accident or you were arrested or you were rushed to hospital with Covid, it would be better if your stay had been legally extended by Migracion rather than having illegally overstayed on a 30 day tourist card.
Thanks for the info.
I'll book mark the page.
Does the extension add 120 days to the 30 already on the tourist card or is it 120 days in total (adds 90 days)

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for the info.
I'll book mark the page.
Does the extension add 120 days to the 30 already on the tourist card or is it 120 days in total (adds 90 days)

It's 120 in total and you must have a return flight booked to apply. The certificate they send you makes it clear that you have to leave the country by the 120th day. Of course there's nothing to stop you from coming back afterwards.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do they still have the "extended" exit fee schedule posted in the airports for people who spend years in the DR and then leave?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
1606150684650.png

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Do they still have the "extended" exit fee schedule posted in the airports for people who spend years in the DR and then leave?
Yes at airport on Facebook and online at DGM , plus my back pocket in wallet, I use it like a cedula fraction of cost though :rolleyes: