Tourist completely vanished in Santo Domingo

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Oooh you left some out. What about the science of meeting the perfect chica who is 30 years younger than you, truly only looking for love and not.at all interested in money? The price of butter in that supermarket in Sosua? The advantages of living here for years and years and not bothering to get residency? Those are subjects in which DR1 folk have considerable expertise and are regarded indeed as national experts.
I detect sarcasm 🤣
No more young chicas for me, that's for sure.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I think the biggest problem in these kind of situations is that w/o anything suspicious, authorities have their hands tied.

If you or me decided to disappear ourselves while in the DR, your friends and family can try to convince DR ( and home country ) authorities that it's out of character, up to them to believe it or not.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Where is Marco when you need him.. He would have SOLVED this Case in No time , and found the Kidnappers Hiding LAIR...

Where is Ken? He would have opened 22 threads on it by now. Actually it's a good question though, where is Ken? Has he disappeared?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Where is Ken? He would have opened 22 threads on it by now. Actually it's a good question though, where is Ken? Has he disappeared?
I think a couple of weeks ago he posted regarding a one year rental.Same ole same ole. A row boat in a sea of humanity without a paddle or map.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
you can throw in 100 pesos, use the money you saved from stiffing the waiter.

Just love a bitchy man. I have said, and will always say, that there is a legal service charge. Personally I dish out hundreds of thousands of pesos to my staff and play fair with them, so they never ask for and rarely get extra tips. People who leave massive cash tips just encourage owners of hospitality businesses to pocket the Propina Legal and in doing so screw up the system.

In Europe the law requires hospitality businesses to pay minimum wages and the custom is either to have a service charge, or to tip, but not both. In the US hospitality businesses pay peanuts and expect staff to make their wages up through tips. There is a minimum wage in DR and there is a mandatory service charge of 10% and if these are paid correctly, a waiter will make about 35,000 minimum per month.

Sorry, we are completely off topic but if you attack me I have the right to respond.

Reactions: Auryn and drstock

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Let's try and stay on topic...it is sad this man has disappeared; I can't even imagine what his family must be going through. But it makes me wonder why he did not tell his family or anyone of his travel plans. It is always good for at least one person to know of your plans.

Reactions: MariaRubia

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Let's try and stay on topic...it is sad this man has disappeared; I can't even imagine what his family must be going through. But it makes me wonder why he did not tell his family or anyone of his travel plans. It is always good for at least one person to know of your plans.
That is actually a good point. If he didn't inform his family/friends back home of his plans/itinerary/contact points, then perhaps it was the mission all along to "disappear"

Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Bear in mind that his sister said he does have mental health issues. Could explain a lot.
That is why I wonder why she did not press him for some information about his trip. But on the other hand, you can't force someone.

Reactions: CristoRey