Tourist highway that will connect Santiago and Puerto Plata will be ready in a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just spoke to a friend that used the road two days ago. It took him a bit less than an hour as there is a section near Yasica of about 2 km that they have not paved yet and are working on it. He said that right now it is easily passable but still needs work. The one month might be a stretch, but it should be good to go soon.

Reactions: jstarebel and cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This is really good news for anyone in Sosua who goes to Santiago. It'll reduce the drive time by at least 1/2 hour. Also, a lot more Santiagueros will be coming to Sosua. Good for business owners there.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
This is really good news for anyone in Sosua who goes to Santiago. It'll reduce the drive time by at least 1/2 hour. Also, a lot more Santiagueros will be coming to Sosua. Good for business owners there.
yes, it will be a good supplement to all the Northeast "chappies" that come down just to "take the edge off"

Reactions: Africaida

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I've used this road regularly for the past 3 years when going to Santiago, mostly because It's less transited and no trailer trucks are allowed on that road, so less stressful to drive. And I do really prefer it all senses. It's not a real highway though as big parts of the road are curves, so although it's only around 40km you won't go faster than an average of around 50-60km/h. But it's a little bit quicker, and you can avoid a lot of the Puerto Plata - Santiago traffic.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is this the same road known as 25 that has been there for many years, just made better?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I took the "Ruta Panoramica"(Hwy 25) to Santiago today. It's almost completely finished with only about 3/4's mile unpaved around Yasica Arriba. Men and equipment were there working on it and, except for some final details like striping, it should easily be completely paved in a week. Very nice smooth drive if you don't mind a lot of curves. It's a lot more scenic than going through Puerto Plata and faster, too.

Reactions: ctrob and jd426

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
I have to say they did a bang up job on this road....beautiful drive it is....
It really is, both from being able to see down over the Puerto Plata Province, but also when driving to the other side of the mount and be able to see the beautiful scenery and then when coming closer to Santiago also be able to see over the Santiago area. It's really a beautiful drive, and what I enjoy most, it's not so heavily transited, so if you want to take it slow you can do that and not feel pressured by a but load of trucks and crazy drivers that want to drive 100+mph on a road not made for more than 50mph. Hopefully, it stays like that, and the general public still transits on the main road between Puerto Plata - Santiago, and not overcrowd this road.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Just spoke to a friend that used the road two days ago. It took him a bit less than an hour as there is a section near Yasica of about 2 km that they have not paved yet and are working on it. He said that right now it is easily passable but still needs work. The one month might be a stretch, but it should be good to go soon.
I drove it a week ago and had the same experience.
Lot of twists and turns combined with constantly changing vistas.
Easy to take your eyes off the road with that scenery.
Brings Santiago closer.
Imagine Santiago will use it for their weekend jaunts to Sosua beach.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
I've used this road regularly for the past 3 years when going to Santiago, mostly because It's less transited and no trailer trucks are allowed on that road, so less stressful to drive. And I do really prefer it all senses. It's not a real highway though as big parts of the road are curves, so although it's only around 40km you won't go faster than an average of around 50-60km/h. But it's a little bit quicker, and you can avoid a lot of the Puerto Plata - Santiago traffic.
I was going to say the same thing, although I've only been transiting over the past year.

I wonder however how long it will 'hold-up'?

Many areas where they reinforced the wall, I can foresee collapses after strong rains. The reinforcement looked a bit on the light side of things during construction.

Also, there are a couple of ominous hanging trees on the brink, and other possible wash-out sections.

That said, It is an enjoyable route if you're into the curves and views.

If everyone starts taking that route regularly, it may end up taking longer. There aren't many places to pass without a corner, hill or oncoming cows...

Weee!

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I drove it about 2 months ago. What it has become is a road race track for idiots on motos and those who think that their 1988 Toyota Corolla handles like an AMG Mercedes. I predict the speed bumps will be coming soon. Otherwise...a very nice road.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Drove it today and in the morning there were 2 small patches that weren't paved, and on the way back there is now only one, but they were starting to get ready to pave the last 200m..... If you are in Cabarete or Sosua and are wanting to go to Santiago, this is the route to take, if it is a little longer, who cares as the road is soooo much better than the Moca route.... I did the Moca route last week, and its just not worth the hassle with all the potholes, chances of damaging your suspension, or getting a flat in one of the craters and the slow speed you need to take...go the carreterra touristica and not worry ..... its smooth sailing and the views are much better....me thinks anyways..... my thoughts not yours....

Reactions: beekaynz and cavok

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Drove it today and in the morning there were 2 small patches that weren't paved, and on the way back there is now only one, but they were starting to get ready to pave the last 200m..... If you are in Cabarete or Sosua and are wanting to go to Santiago, this is the route to take, if it is a little longer, who cares as the road is soooo much better than the Moca route.... I did the Moca route last week, and its just not worth the hassle with all the potholes, chances of damaging your suspension, or getting a flat in one of the craters and the slow speed you need to take...go the carretera turistica and not worry ..... its smooth sailing and the views are much better....me thinks anyways..... my thoughts not yours....
Other forum members are reporting that they save 30-45 minutes of driving time from Sosua/Cabarete to STI airport, or the capital.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
This is great news. Always loved this road. Miss my cold beer at the former jazz club up there. Hopefully someone open a new restaurant around there to enjoy the views. That said, will this affect the plans of Autopista del Ambar? What do you think?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As far as the Autopista del Ambar, it seems as likely as the Cabarete Bypass (three machines and three office trailers still sittn' by the side of the highway in western Cabarete for months now, what's up with that? ), the public hospital for Sosua that is discussed each election, relocating the vendors on Sosua beach which has been planned for years, reopening the illegal closure of Encuentro accesses which the government seems fine with remaining "private" despite the 60 meter law about beaches being public, and world peace.

The Autopista is a great idea that should happen along with those other projects. Not expecting it any time soon since it is a fairly major project and this part of the island is not nearly as important as Punta Cana and Santo Domingo. The south will always take priority over the north.

Glad to hear the tourist highway is days from being in totally good condition.

Reactions: drstock
Status
Not open for further replies.