Tourist Taxi vs public taxi..........

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
I started this new topic since there are interested parties. There are public taxis everywhere and in many cases are more than 50% cheaper than the tourist taxis. In Sosua and Caberete they can come to your hotel to pick you up. I was told by a tourist taxi driver that he would chase them away if he saw them and I replied that I would have him arrested for robbery. He said he was only kidding but he knew that it really is robbery. Many laugh at me because I take a moto to the main road from POP airport to save $12. Why pay $20 when I can pay $8 - $10. I go 6 times a year and that adds up.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Malibook said:
Some public taxis will rip you off as well if you don't know what the fares should be, or if you need them late at night.

Look like a tourist, then price goes up on every transport from gua guas, publicos and of course taxis! But Playa Dorada Taxi would win the gold price I think!

That?s why its good to give info about prices on the messageboard, as no one will argue with anyone knowing the real prices, they simply accept it then on the tranportations. ;)

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Many people go over to the DR unaware of how much things cost to everyone else and dont dispute it because at the end of the day, they are paying that kind of price at home so it doesnt seem strange to just pay it. I have had some funny occasions waiting for my taxi driver to pick me up from Montellano to do a return run for about 400 pesos and the taxi drivers near the plaza in Playa Dorada are trying to get me into their cars for about 700 or 800 $RD one way ;)

To me, its all part of the fun of the vacation, especially if i am with someone who has never been before. Some of the guys virtually beg you to get in their taxis and you dont even need one and they are going "ok - 700..........650......ok,ok......500........come on, lets go........400" :D

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
I noticed something very interesting my last visit, most tourist taxi drivers in the game a while own a few houses. They are wealthy! They know what the prices should be but the association is out to rob the tourists. The public taxi guys are trying to get by. If you are at the resorts, walk outside and get one of them to be your driver. If the taxi guys give you grief, call the tourist police! Its called robbery when someone telle you that its a certain price to get out!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jimmydr said:
I noticed something very interesting my last visit, most tourist taxi drivers in the game a while own a few houses. They are wealthy! They know what the prices should be but the association is out to rob the tourists. The public taxi guys are trying to get by. If you are at the resorts, walk outside and get one of them to be your driver. If the taxi guys give you grief, call the tourist police! Its called robbery when someone telle you that its a certain price to get out!

I agree with you concerning the pricing!
But also, many people have their own houses in Puerto Plata.
It is not a sign of being wealthy though, as almost everyone living in the city or outside, that don?t live in an apartment (they are few ) have a house.
Those are owned either by generations in the family, or bought time ago when prices where different even for the local people.
The taxi drivers have typical Dominican casas. ;)

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
carina said:
I agree with you concerning the pricing!
But also, many people have their own houses in Puerto Plata.
It is not a sign of being wealthy though, as almost everyone living in the city or outside, that don?t live in an apartment (they are few ) have a house.
Those are owned either by generations in the family, or bought time ago when prices where different even for the local people.
The taxi drivers have typical Dominican casas. ;)

These were big houses with garages. My point is that there are many ways to get from point A to B and some are under a dollar.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Jimmydr said:
These were big houses with garages. My point is that there are many ways to get from point A to B and some are under a dollar.

If you have seen it, it is there..
But very rare.. ;)

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
taxi prices

ok, so you are talking about the importance of knowing the prices before being there.......so what are the prices;
in Sosua, getting just around town?
from Sosua to Puerto Plata?
i'll be heading over in about a week, and i don't want to be another unknowing tourist

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
bozorboso said:
ok, so you are talking about the importance of knowing the prices before being there.......so what are the prices;
in Sosua, getting just around town?
from Sosua to Puerto Plata?
i'll be heading over in about a week, and i don't want to be another unknowing tourist

Taxis are expensive. Their rates are posted. I believe to go from Playa Dorada to Puerto Plata city, a drive of less than 10 minutes, it's US$15. Unless you are traveling at night, or are a group of four to share a taxi, you might as well walk out to the front gate and do like the locals and catch a RD$10 ride into town (about US$0.30).

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If your Spanish is reasonable or unreasonable don't be afraid to approach some of the locals that are waiting for a bus or taxi. Be nice, say something complimentary to them. Tell them you are looking for information on taxi or bus fares and also ask in what is the best way to get to XXXX. Most of the time they will be happy to help with information. They can usually provide a fare right down to the last centavo. So !!!! When you do acquire the services of taxi or bus you can negotiate a fare from knowledge rather than guesswork.

Always confirm the fare with the driver before getting in a taxi. Write the fare down and show it to the driver. Pay him the fare after the service is provided. Always try to have small bills 100's, 50's, 20's, and 10's available. If you give the driver a large note RD 500 or greater, sometimes they will claim they do not have change. Pay a tip if service was outstanding.

Regards,
PJT

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Your right, I was trying to leave Sosua back to POP and we asked a girl who was waiting and she helped us out. Some taxi stopped and was trying to over charge us and we said no thanks. The girl said not to bother with him and we took a gua gua. The taxi guy was really rude he started calling her names because he thought she was the reason we wouldn't go with him. He was a ***, we weren't going to pay him the price even if she wasn't there.
We always remember her she was very kind to us!

Your so right about having smaller bills it helps!

PJT said:
If your Spanish is reasonable or unreasonable don't be afraid to approach some of the locals that are waiting for a bus or taxi. Be nice, say something complimentary to them. Tell them you are looking for information on taxi or bus fares and also ask in what is the best way to get to XXXX. Most of the time they will be happy to help with information. They can usually provide a fare right down to the last centavo. So !!!! When you do acquire the services of taxi or bus you can negotiate a fare from knowledge rather than guesswork.

Always confirm the fare with the driver before getting in a taxi. Write the fare down and show it to the driver. Pay him the fare after the service is provided. Always try to have small bills 100's, 50's, 20's, and 10's available. If you give the driver a large note RD 500 or greater, sometimes they will claim they do not have change. Pay a tip if service was outstanding.

Regards,
PJT

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
here's another question...is there a way to find out the up-to-date exchange rate from US dollars to Dominican pesos?
what is it approximately now, and how often does it change?