Tourists to be evacuated from Haiti due to protests

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Actually I have thought the opposite; wondering how such hardworking industrious people can have such a failure of a country. We have a number of Haitian kids in the school and they are no different than Dominican kids, some are very intelligent and quick to learn, others normal, and some slow ( just like kids everywhere). Many of them are baptists, evangelicals, and even catholic. I have a Haitian physiotherapist, and she speaks pasable English.
I guess if there were easy answers on how Haiti can become a normal country with a government that functions properly it would been done by now. I don't pretend to know the answers, but I do know individual Haitians are normal people.

you see, bob, you have a different exposure to Haitians, and you know that they are just like any other human being at their socioeconomic station in life. there are upscale neighborhoods in New York such as Shrub Oak, and Yorktown Heights, which have huge Haitian American enclaves. and those are not rental properties, either. go to Las Americas Autodrome on race day, and see the race car teams the Haitians show up with. there is more to the Haitian population than guys who cut grass.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
For awhile now the answer to the question "is it safe to travel to Haiti" has been a clear No.

I was surprised to learn that a travel company was offering trips to a resort in Haiti and even more surprised that people would purchase these trips, apparently without doing any research at all on the destination and the current daily reality in the country.

Just goes to show that clueless tourists will go anywhere if the price is right.

I am not a big supporter of individuals being able to sue companies because the individual is stupid. However, in this case, I hope the tour operator is buried by claims as they (the company) made the reckless decision to send customers to Haiti.

From a Canadian perspective, I believe all flights to Haiti from Canada depart from Quebec so it is a small and specific market they are targeting. Most likely they do know what the situation is there. As it happens the Canadian Government didn't post a travel advisory until Thursday.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
you see, bob, you have a different exposure to Haitians, and you know that they are just like any other human being at their socioeconomic station in life. there are upscale neighborhoods in New York such as Shrub Oak, and Yorktown Heights, which have huge Haitian American enclaves. and those are not rental properties, either. go to Las Americas Autodrome on race day, and see the race car teams the Haitians show up with. there is more to the Haitian population than guys who cut grass.

As usual. The exeptions make your rule.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As usual. The exeptions make your rule.

actually, you are missing the point. you only appear to see Haitians as day laborers , eking out a survival existence in abandoned buildings. i am just bringing it to your attention that there is more to Haiti than just the people you appear to consider.

by the way, the well to do Haitians do not consider themselves to be exceptions.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Air Canada has stopped all flights to/from PAP as of yesterday.
Air Transat has said they will continue flights, but have stopped selling vacation packages there.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
baroosk, I am not sure why you chose to remove certain words from my post.
What I said was:

Air Canada has stopped all flights to/from PAP as of yesterday.
Air Transat has said they will continue flights, but have stopped selling vacation packages there.

Air Transat has said that if circumstances change they may have to discontinue flights. Continuing to fly in and out of PAP when possible is important and necessary. Not for tourists vacationing there, but for Haitian/Canadians who may either want to leave the country, or perhaps fly down to support family while the country is in turmoil.