Trade Schools

NanSanPedro

Apr 12, 2019
The thread on the Plumber coming to the DR and the mentions by 2 posters of good trade guys getting good $ got me to thinking. As some of you know, I have a 17 y/o Haitian son I have unofficially adopted. He doesn't appear to be university material but he knows Spanish very well and is learning English. He has a 9th grade education but his math is below 6th grade in quality.

What kind of reputable schools, preferably in the south (SPdM, Boca Chica, SD) do people here recommend for him. Because he is Haitian, we are having a difficult time getting him into private secondary school. He will be 18 in March.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob

El Rey de Mangu

Open your chakras!
Sep 22, 2009
The thread on the Plumber coming to the DR and the mentions by 2 posters of good trade guys getting good $ got me to thinking. As some of you know, I have a 17 y/o Haitian son I have unofficially adopted. He doesn't appear to be university material but he knows Spanish very well and is learning English. He has a 9th grade education but his math is below 6th grade in quality.

What kind of reputable schools, preferably in the south (SPdM, Boca Chica, SD) do people here recommend for him. Because he is Haitian, we are having a difficult time getting him into private secondary school. He will be 18 in March.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob
In SanP, he needs a place like in Nagua to get a refrigeration certificate. He can do it. That's a huge trade. I had a parts place years back when I was rich biatch and made a killing. Good honest refrigeration, AC. If I was 20 years younger I would do it.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Chirimoya

Moderator - East Coast Forum
Dec 9, 2002

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Definitely check out InfoTep in San Pedro, there may even be one in Boca Chica. They offer a very wide variety of trades based certifications.
I know someone who took Electricians certifications (Industrial and Residential) there, as well as a barber course, and some short courses on Microsoft Office too.
I believe some of those were taken prior to high school graduation, but I’m not certain on the pre-requisites.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I should add that InfoTep is free if he has his Dominican papers. Mi esposo says there are others in SD, but they are not free.