Traffic Deaths in the Dominican Republic Ranks #2 Worldwide

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I just stayed out of the statistics with much luck:
Met a nice girl in SD with a driving license so we rented a car from the Europcar and she drove us to Barahona and further to San Raphael (I wanted to be quite secure and left my license at home because of the warnings hier). It was a horror-trip of 200 km each way. It started with a hit on the car in front of us after the first 100 m. She was just learning by doing. Among other things every now and then I found us driving on the left side.

Dec 26, 2011
Driving slow causes more accidents, what ever you are doing and where it is always better to try to keep with or run faster than the majority flow of traffic. The amount of times ill overtake only to almost run into the arse of someone dawdling along in Driving miss daisy mode is staggering, but usually because their vehicle can't reach flow speed, not because do not wish to.

In driver's ed they called it staying out of the wolf pack. Try to stay away from other vehicles, especially groups of them. Sometimes it means gunning it to pass sometimes laying back and letting someone on your tail pass you- but always distancing yourself from other vehicles.

Dec 26, 2011
The slow drivers that are 10 or so below the speedlimit are probably the reason for almost all driveby accidents, they are the most evil and egoistic drivers on the road- and i have seriously considered to shoot such retarded drivers several times.

""Ooooh my GOD, look how he is driving past me like a craaaaazy person""

""I have neeeever been in a accident- but i have SEEN several when they drive past me""

I often find myself muttering "See why I don't carry a gun?".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wonder if there's another country in the world that has the mix of Pasolas, motorcycles, and cars that The DR has. I know there are countries like Vietnam where pasolas are common as well, but the difference may be that people probably don't ride without helmets and/or you may not have the mix of large vehicles running alongside the mopeds.

Taiwan and Sri Lanka are two such places. And in Sri Lanka, they are on the "wrong" side of the road thanks to the Brits.

Excellent advice about going at a speed the same as the general flow of traffic and knowing when to pass and when to be passed.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
"dv", That's EASY!!!
Women don't HAVE accidents, they CAUSE accidents!!!
Do you know how many times I have crashed looking at "Skirt"??????
First time I was only 5, road my "Tri-Cycle" off our front porch,1951,Tuesday, Aug. 7th.,10:15 am., 703 N. Park St., Streator Ill.
Sunny.
Looking at Christine Anderson!
It was worth the "Price"!
Tall,Blond, blue eyes,No FIGURE, "Go Figure!"
I "dumped" her for Louise Stevenson when I went to "KinderGarden" the next year.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Your not right! But I still laughed my a$$ off!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pollo" it's why I "Quit" carrying a gun!
"Testosterone Road Rage" :eek:gre::eek:gre::eek:gre:was my "LIFE"!
Thank God that as the "Low-T" hit me, the "Road Rage" left me. :classic::classic::classic:
Along with my "So Called Sex Life"!!!! :ermm::ermm::ermm:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I think we should pool our money and come out with a video game called "Moto Concho Madness". Drive throught the city without running down more than 2 people and you are the winner. Just remember, larger vehicle should have the right of way.

LTSteve

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Then visitors don't understand when we recommend they NOT drive in this country...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The slow drivers that are 10 or so below the speedlimit are probably the reason for almost all driveby accidents, they are the most evil and egoistic drivers on the road- and i have seriously considered to shoot such retarded drivers several times.

wait wait. don't go hatin' on all of them. i was a slow driver when i first started driving here because of the lack of abilities and confidence. i believe i posted here how i drove with miesposo to santiago in his jeepeta at a snail pace. i could see the poor guy was exasperated :) now when i drive to santiago i do much better (although my car cannot go very fast as it is). but there is no other way to gain this confidence and control other than by driving.

i think the key to drive well is to know what you can and cannot do. i hate those who drive too fast far more than those who drive too slow. at least i can SEE them slow going bastards. nothing worse than those who cannot drive well maxing their cars like it's a race. know your limits and know your abilities.

as far as driving here in particular. i do not know what the fuss is all about. it's rather easy. no need to follow any rules and regulations, no need to know the law, recognize the road signs :)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
What's with all the motorcyclists holding their helmets in their left hand? Dumbest thing ever.

It makes sense if your brains are in your elbow:bunny: or left hand in your example, tends to be elbow here in Cap, where ever, it solves the question most have been wondering for years, that would be 'where exactly are thier brains'?

just look where the helmet is, many on the north keep it on the tank to protect their nuts, say no more!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what about those motorcyclist without any helmets? neither on the head not the elbow? wait. don't tell me. they have no brains! :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I actually find it very entertaining driving here. In fact I love it its like a real life video game. I hate driving in town cos of the traffic and cos guys in their rusted old cars force through(buffalo bumpers took care of that), but in the countryside I love driving my hilux. In europe there is so much traffic, and so many rules driving is a contraint. Here empty roads, no rules, I llgo for a drive just for the thrill of it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Driving in the DR prevents "Alzhiemers"! in Foreigners!
Can't be diagnosed in Dominicans, their brains are not developed enough to see the deterioration!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

vacanodr

Jun 10, 2012
You have to be careful.

That finding is off of a set criteria. It is probably an overall number. Some parts of the country are safer than others to drive in.

There are lots of corrupt countries that do not report traffic homicides and crime rates. They would seem safer but in reality are not.