Traffic Deaths in the Dominican Republic Ranks #2 Worldwide

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mandatory drivers license, insurance and vehicle inspections. What are wrong with ANY of these?

A drivers license provides some minimal proof that you have some clue as to how to operate a motor vehicle in a safe manner. A vehicle can (and does) kill more people here than anything else so why not license at least as well as they do firearms?

Insurance assures everyone on the road that someone has underwritten your skills (guarantees them) sufficient to cover financial damages should you incur them. (put your hands down, I have this) But in the DR there also needs to be some corollary changes to prevent silly lawsuits resulting from practically nothing.

Vehicle inspections should be mandatory so we are all assured the vehicle itself is largely safe. I don't mean inspections as they have in the U.S. as that would be too much. But at least can we have headlights, tail lights and the odd turn signal? Mufflers, decent suspension and uncracked windshields would be a bit much at this point.

The government could generate more income through fees and taxes, inspectors and officials could generate more income through bribes and kickbacks and we all might be...just might be...a tad bit safer.

insurance in the DR is not based on underwriting principles. it is based solely on the age of the car, and the number of cylinders. driver capabilities and tendencies has nothing to do with insurance here. there is no databank that can provide critical information, such as how many speeding tickets an applicant has, how many times his license has been suspended, etc, which forms the basis for underwriting.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ok sweety, to put it in plain English the reported traffic deaths are an estimate not based on death records from the DR but from a fancy pansty binomial regression formula.

and your point is? was the same methodology applied across the board? or was it used only in the case of the DR?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Symantics or what! The facts however you interpret them has the DR as a dangerous plce to be on the roads. Young Aholes driving too fast, with out consideration for anyone else cause most of the accidents, usually on motorcycles or scooters. I swear if I had a dollars for every guy that goes by the school doing a wheely or going at an excessive speed I'd be rich. Stop signs, totally ignored.

one day, on a lark, i decided to sit and observe a certain stop sign in POP, just for the heck of it. i spent 3 hours, watching for motorist response to the sign. in the span of 3 hours, NOT ONE motorist stopped there. they all flew through it, as though it did not exist.

Dec 26, 2011
There is a consensus in this thread: lack of consideration is the principal cause of poor driving in RD.

It's just a symptom of a much larger problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is a consensus in this thread: lack of consideration is the principal cause of poor driving in RD.

It's just a symptom of a much larger problem.

absolutely true, pollogringo. the second problem which i have identified is an inability to foresee possibilities. here is what i mean. i have seen motorcyclists riding along at a certain speed, approaching a situation which could constitute a peril. let us say, for example, a pack of dogs running along a sidewalk. they pass the pack at the same speed they were going before they encountered the dogs. it does not cross their collective minds that one, or all, of these dogs could suddenly dart across the street. as far as they are concerned, they are here, and the dogs are there, and all is well with the world. personally, if a i see something that has the possibility of being a problem, i adjust my speed accordingly, because i am aware that something can go awry. the average guy here does not appear to have that ability.

secondly, there seems to be no concept of personal responsibility. i was on a motoconcho once, and the traffic lights were out, because of a power cut. my driver simply blasted through the intersection without reducing his speed, and almost t-boned another concho. i asked him if he did not think that in a circumstance where the intersection is no longer controlled, he should approach it with a little more caution. his response; i have the right of way! i kid you not.

Dec 26, 2011
1. Lack of consideration(empathy)
2. No concept of causality(consequences)
3. No sense of personal responsibility(see #1 & #2)

Fatalistic thinking at work? Undoubtedly plays a role. If I drive more carefully and more conscientiously, less aggressively, will I be safer? Nah. Let's put this saint on the dashboard. That'll work better.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
1. Lack of consideration(empathy)
2. No concept of causality(consequences)
3. No sense of personal responsibility(see #1 & #2)

Fatalistic thinking at work? Undoubtedly plays a role. If I drive more carefully and more conscientiously, less aggressively, will I be safer? Nah. Let's put this saint on the dashboard. That'll work better.

si dios quiere.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Honestly I am more afraid of those driving extremely slow. They either have slow reflexes or are drugged out. They stand out like a flashing hazard light. Get away from these people as quickly as possible. You have to be a little aggresive to drive in the DR otherwise you will be sitting at a corner because no one is going to let you merge. I think it is more dangerous to walk than ride.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Honestly I am more afraid of those driving extremely slow. They either have slow reflexes or are drugged out. They stand out like a flashing hazard light. Get away from these people as quickly as possible. You have to be a little aggresive to drive in the DR otherwise you will be sitting at a corner because no one is going to let you merge. I think it is more dangerous to walk than ride.

LTSteve

it is more dangerous to walk because of the social pecking order which says that the people with the most money are the most important. if you walk, then you have less money than the guy who rides a bicycle, and you are not worthy of the considerations of a cyclist. the cyclist is below the scooter, who is below the guy with the 125cc chinese bike, and so on. that is why the concept of a crosswalk for pedestrians in the DR is a heretofore unexplored notion

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I like to walk a lot, yes I know, a concept that gives me a loony status here, but I do when possible. Even so I am still yet to have had the pleasure of walking over 20ft on an actual pathway. When walking here you need to walk on the road to avoid falling down a manhole, being stabbed in the legs by random rebar traps sticking out of the path and side walls and death by overhanging broken un disabled electrical cables. There is no such thing as a leisurely stroll here, most walks would make Alcatraz break outs look like a walk in the park.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I like to walk a lot, yes I know, a concept that gives me a loony status here, but I do when possible. Even so I am still yet to have had the pleasure of walking over 20ft on an actual pathway. When walking here you need to walk on the road to avoid falling down a manhole, being stabbed in the legs by random rebar traps sticking out of the path and side walls and death by overhanging broken un disabled electrical cables. There is no such thing as a leisurely stroll here, most walks would make Alcatraz break outs look like a walk in the park.

I walk daily, sometimes twice and if I take the road to Pinar Dorado and then through Colonial (Jarabacoa) I never have to leave the sidewalk, except to cross the road. Now walking towntown, its a different experience but once I am over to Avenida Confluencia I can walk for 45 minutes each way with too much rebar, potholes...etc.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
before the arrival of my lil' capa i used to walk a lot. usually all the way from costambar to the city center, about an hour walk? my biggest problem was always the heat. there is a new sidewalk all the way to the city and walking there is totally fine. but crossing the street? not so much. i often think i'd be faster and safer doing it in a car :) i swear that i look like a rabbit surrounded by the pack of wolves when i try to cross some main streets with my scared eyes and a state of mild panic. my head just turns around like in the exorcist to cover as much ground as possible before i take a tentative step :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
chip, If I get "BANNED" For This Post, IT Will Be WORTH IT!

You really can't help yourself, can you?
You can put all your "Dominican's Can Do NO WRONG" Spin on this ,but you are the ONLY ONE who thinks like you do, IF you do actually "THINK"!
So LISTEN TO THIS, My "Sweety Fren", You Are A F*#king IDIOT!
A "F*#king Idiot " who thinks that the USA S#*KS, and the DR is a "Paraiso"!
(But Takes the Veterans Administration Disability check every month, but can still ride a motor bike from Santiago to Sosua everyday!) Please don't use the excuse that you need the "Exercise" to help your "Back", like you did after posting fotos of you doing "Marine Push ups" last year. PATHETIC!!
I think about your pictures, and your excuses, every time I am in a VA Hospital and see guy's missing arms and legs,from Iraq, and Afganistan, and Vietnam, and Korea, and WWII, and, and, and!!!!!!!!
Ask the mother of the 3 brothers killed the other day while eating in a restaurant in SD, when a drunk 20 year old, went "Air Born" and killed them!!!!
And then "SPIN" the deaths in "Semana DRUNKo", from all sources.
SPIN the 10 year old kids taken to your sister-in-law, ER with alcohol poisoning.
You "My Fren",.."SUCK"!
See Ya Later "Sweety
Tom,
aka., CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2004
Truely shocking statistics:

Fatalities in DR 2010: 1,902

Fatalities in London: 2010 126

But when you see the standards of road driving you can see why - no respect given for other drivers - in Santo Domingo the rich are no better than anyone else.

With regards to walking this is an issue relating to the Metro, What is the point of the metro if A) there are no complementary bus routes and B) where are the measures to improve walking access to these stations - upgraded footpaths, road crossings to stations etc..