Traffic rules for Semana Santa

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Traffic rules during Semana Santa

Traffic rules during Semana Santa

Traffic rules during Semana Santa​

The government has announced additional traffic rules that apply during Semana Santa. These apply from Thursday 6 to Monday 10 April.
It is according to the announced measures for trucks prohibited from driving between Thursday morning 6 am and Monday morning 5 am. They are not allowed to drive, but they are also not allowed to go faster than 70 km per hour and must use the right-hand lane. How the government sees this is not entirely clear.
No more than two people on a motorcycle, both must wear helmets. It is also not allowed to transport people in the cargo box of a Pick-up truck.
Well, we are very curious to see if everyone is going to comply with these rules.​

Feb 16, 2016
-
Yes, a bit confused why they would issue a speed limit is they are restricted from being on the road.
Unless there are exceptions certain goods that are in transit.

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
I will bet every penny I have the 2 person maximum and helmets on driver and passenger are not enforced.

With the invasion of cheap Chinese junk motos it seems there are more motos now than the road has room to accommodate and they are all becoming more aggressive, have no working tail lights or mirrors and do not respect stoplights or riding on the right or going the wrong way on one way streets. Most I am sure do not have licenses.

At some point the government will have an impossible job of reigning in the populace of flagrant rider unless they start mass crushing of bikes. While some riders are respectful and maintain their safety function on the bike, I would guess it is only 25%

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That sounds more like a late April fools joke.
To bad DV8 is no longer here. They used to do the official count for both the Semana Santa a Christmas death pools.
It was a unique sport for us that watched the absolute road carnage here

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I will bet every penny I have the 2 person maximum and helmets on driver and passenger are not enforced.

With the invasion of cheap Chinese junk motos it seems there are more motos now than the road has room to accommodate and they are all becoming more aggressive, have no working tail lights or mirrors and do not respect stoplights or riding on the right or going the wrong way on one way streets. Most I am sure do not have licenses.

At some point the government will have an impossible job of reigning in the populace of flagrant rider unless they start mass crushing of bikes. While some riders are respectful and maintain their safety function on the bike, I would guess it is only 25%
In Fruisa just past the Centro Medico Punta Cana the PN sets up almost every day and and hauls off Motos left and right. Don't know how the PN and not Digesett do this but they are............

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Yes, a bit confused why they would issue a speed limit is they are restricted from being on the road.
Suspect the "certain goods" would be foods, medical/humanitarian supplies, water, and fuels. Yet, most of us know rules of the road are not really followed nor heavily enforced.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

chico bill

On Vacation
May 6, 2016
In Fruisa just past the Centro Medico Punta Cana the PN sets up almost every day and and hauls off Motos left and right. Don't know how the PN and not Digesett do this but they are............
If they really wanted to control them they could put out flyers naming the things they would seize and destroy motos for.
On the 2nd offense in a 6 month period they lose the moto permanently for any of the following:
  1. No working lights or miss-colored lights
  2. Having a Flashing Front headlight
  3. Not have at least one mirror ( two required for moto conchos )
  4. Running a red light
  5. Racing
  6. Having more than 2 people over 90 lbs. Only one child additional
  7. No moto license
  8. No driver's license
  9. Not using an approved helmet (strapless helmets, baseball batting helmets or construction hard hats do not qualify)
Of course they should define the areas where this is enforced - it makes sense for Puerto Planta or Santiago but maybe not rural areas like Rio San Juan.
I hate too many government rules too (I can tell you I resisted seat belt rules for years) but the flagrant abuse by motos endangers everyone
If they did this for one year you would see ever Dominican and Haitian Jabroni rushing to clean up their act and comply.

aeng

Aug 13, 2019
I agree with Melphis . ... I thought it was April 1st.
Also with chico bill,, fine them 500 pesos for each offence, - they could then pay for overtime to police the chaos at night !!
Take the moto away on the 2nd. offence.

It ain't gonna happen !!!!

Reactions: melphis

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
If they really wanted to control them they could put out flyers naming the things they would seize and destroy motos for.
On the 2nd offense in a 6 month period they lose the moto permanently for any of the following:
  4. Running a red light
  5. Racing
  7. No moto license
  8. No driver's license
  9. Not using an approved helmet (strapless helmets, baseball batting helmets or construction hard hats do not qualify)
Of course they should define the areas where this is enforced - it makes sense for Puerto Planta or Santiago but maybe not rural areas like Rio San Juan.
I hate too many government rules too (I can tell you I resisted seat belt rules for years) but the flagrant abuse by motos endangers everyone
If they did this for one year you would see ever Dominican and Haitian Jabroni rushing to clean up their act and comply.
Don't forget No Wheelies :)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Most truck owners get permits for transit. Very easy to purchase on line.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Suspect, the PN are checking for documents, not traffic infractions. If operators are without docs they are sent to the lockup and their motos seized. You can bet the PN does this work on paydays and on Fridays when a lockup is for the whole weekend. The operator has to pay to get out of jail and pay to get his moto back. Digesett/AMET people work their stops on two ends of the Cortecito, near the Cortecito school and Secrets.

Regards,

PJT

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Getting ready to rain here in San Cris

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
  4. Running a red light
  5. Racing
  7. No moto license
  8. No driver's license
Totally agree. As for number 2, how the hell do people tolerate those strobing headlights? They are horrible! I bet they have been the cause of a few accidents.

The problem is that even if they were outlawed, the enforcement agencies don't work at night to catch them.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Suspect, the PN are checking for documents, not traffic infractions. If operators are without docs they are sent to the lockup and their motos seized. You can bet the PN does this work on paydays and on Fridays when a lockup is for the whole weekend. The operator has to pay to get out of jail and pay to get his moto back. Digesett/AMET people work their stops on two ends of the Cortecito, near the Cortecito school and Secrets.
Regards,

PJT

I saw the Policia Nacional doing just that in Sosua the other day. In the time it took me to drink a Presidente Grande, they had stopped and driven off about twenty motos and taken the riders away in the back of a truck.

Feb 16, 2016
-
All the people on motorcycles were compliant with the traffic rules issued.
AMET was posted up on the major corner in my area.

And it was after noon when I went to get my lunch.
Work had not stopped.
The employees in both establishments that I frequent were working hard to serve the crush of customers.

Words have meaning.
Use them correctly.
Especially if you plan to follow me around the DR1 forum trolling me.

Feb 16, 2016
-
Unfortunately for you that is not what was written.

The clarification of your obtuse statement is appreciated.
After I prompted you to use clearer language.

Thank you for all the love you give me all over DR1 my friend.
Enjoy your weekend.