Transfer at JFK (from Amsterdam - Santo Domingo)

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Hi,

Due to COVID-19 restrictions travelling is al bit different these days;

Can anyone clarify how the US deals with passengers who have a transfer at JFK airport? Most European countries, including the Netherlands, are on the 'high risk' list, which means that you will be refused entry into the US.
According to Delta Airlines, do I need to provide an additional statement from the US Embassy? By the way, this is unknown to KLM, Delta's partner .... so different/no information that I can rely on....

Anyone have any recent experience with a transfer on JFK from AMS / EUR?

Thx.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
the one thing I can tell you about JFK, and this after using them for years... you will need at least 2 and a half hours to change planes... deal with immigration ect.

Reactions: CristoRey

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hi,

Due to COVID-19 restrictions travelling is al bit different these days;

Can anyone clarify how the US deals with passengers who have a transfer at JFK airport? Most European countries, including the Netherlands, are on the 'high risk' list, which means that you will be refused entry into the US.
According to Delta Airlines, do I need to provide an additional statement from the US Embassy? By the way, this is unknown to KLM, Delta's partner .... so different/no information that I can rely on....

Anyone have any recent experience with a transfer on JFK from AMS / EUR?

Thx.
Liberator. The way to go is through Zaventem. Iberia. My wife went last Sunday. Two hours stop-over in Madrid. No requirements and faster than JFK

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Minimum. I fly there each and every month. I don't transfer the same day as I always have biz for a couple of days and then fly to another state. However, I can tell you things are changing in general. More people are flying every week. Three weeks ago we landed (sdq to JFK) at about the same time a FULLY loaded plane from Jamacia landed. The line at imigration was 1 1/2 hours long with 12 agents.
I wasn't going to give up my spot in line but I REALLY needed to get out of there fast!

Reactions: USA DOC

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Liberator. The way to go is through Zaventem. Iberia. My wife went last Sunday. Two hours stop-over in Madrid. No requirements and faster than JFK
thx. Fortunately, there is still something to choose (y)
Another option is with KLM via AMS to Panama and there with Copa to SDQ.

For US keep in mind:
besides the negative PCR test, you also need permission from the Amabassade to transfer (from a Schengen country)

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Minimum. I fly there each and every month. I don't transfer the same day as I always have biz for a couple of days and then fly to another state. However, I can tell you things are changing in general. More people are flying every week. Three weeks ago we landed (sdq to JFK) at about the same time a FULLY loaded plane from Jamacia landed. The line at imigration was 1 1/2 hours long with 12 agents.
I wasn't going to give up my spot in line but I REALLY needed to get out of there fast!
yes or more time....Jfk has become my least favorite airport ...after I spent a night sleeping on the floor, during a snow storm after a delta employee lyed to me....

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Act responsibly, is the slogan.

The EU is still struggling with covid, some regions are very high.
Spain: Details of curfews & restrictions for all regions during ‘State of Alarm’
Spain has strict controls depending on region.

We all have business and personal reasons to travel.
Should we, is the question even if we can circumvent restrictions by travel through Spain or the US.
International travel is how covid 19 was and is spread and personal contact of breathing space.
The virus does not negotiate, even though governments like to open up economies for political reasons.

Being an island the DR has done much better than other locals in the world.
Hopefully people will act responsibly.
If things were to go wrong on this island, covid spread would be fast.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws” Plato.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Surely you use Global Entry?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Surely you use Global Entry?
Nope, as I was always was too lazy to go for an interview. Besides for the past few years I never noticed a big difference in the wait time Before Covid they had the machines where you processed the information and then one minute or less with an agent.

During covid they eliminated the machines, so few people you were otta there in 10 minutes especially if you got out of plane fast. Now, I don't know what the process is. Depends, on traffic, I guess, but I don't see the machines coming back any time soon. (DON'T TOUCH THE PLASTIC, LOL).

One thing has changed for me during corvid. I have been stopped two times for secondary screening. Single guy, very little luggage, passport stamped every month, and agents that have little to do. I'm a target.