Transferring money

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
Hi
My UK bank card ran out. One month before I had called my bank to make sure everything was ok and that I would get my card on time. The girl assured me it was all ok. When it didn't turn up I called the bank and the guy told me that I had requested to not get a card. I requested one and he said that was ok. I also inquired why when I try to on-line bank they say that they have sent an SMS but I never get one. After a month I hadn't got my card so I called. The guy cancelled my card and said he would send me a new one.
My cancelled card arrived 2 months after ordering it but I couldn't activate it. I called and the guy told me that it could have been cancelled in 2 ways. One was so I could call and the other was irreversible. My card arrived tied together to my new pin. Anyone could empty my account with this plus I can't access my account as I don't have a card.
While I wait for my card that is now 4 months overdue I asked if I could transfer money to my BHD-Leon bank. Of course I could. I just had to fax the details. So I got the Swift and she wrote down my account number.
I got the stuff printed out and faxed it. During this process I found out that the girl in the bank had put the wrong account number. They emailed my to tell me that one page didn't print and haha - the DOP is a suspended currency so tough luck.
I would like to ask if there is a way that I could access my UK account and get money here. I have used up all my money and I have to be less grumpy with my wife who has a payoneer account.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Do you have anyone in the UK you can transfer money to and then have them transfer to you via western union or another currency company. It will cost you a bit but your options seem limited.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
Can't you just wire money to yourself thru Western Union, Moneygram, xoom, or World Remit? I know that's my backup plan if both of my ATM cards go tits up.
I was told to try that but I cannot access my account without a valid bankcard. The security is such that I cannot access my bank account but they are sending my card and pin internationally a couple of days apart - but they end up together.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
One thing I forgot to mention. Moneygram is cheaper to send money. However, most of their offices are co-located with Banreservas. The lines are generally horrible. I've done it once and will never do it again. Xoom is also cheaper and they are aligned with Caribe Express.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
How do you send money with WU? I can receive but I don't understand how to send.

You need to go online and open an account: I'm American so this is my login page: https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/web/user/login

Obviously you being British it will be different.

You can send $ to yourself either with a debit card (problem for you), a credit card (you will pay cash advance fees), or direct from your bank. You can receive in your bank or cash at a WU office.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
You need to go online and open an account: I'm American so this is my login page: https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/web/user/login

Obviously you being British it will be different.

You can send $ to yourself either with a debit card (problem for you), a credit card (you will pay cash advance fees), or direct from your bank. You can receive in your bank or cash at a WU office.
That was more informative than my bank. They more or less said tough luck.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Can't you do your transfers yourself from your bank app ( UK bank to BHD )?
Other option : Does your account not have virtual cards ?

Also, do yourself a favor and sign up with a couple of neo-banks. Its free, 100% on-line, you get inter-bank exchange rates, and so on...... Revolut, N26, amongst others come to mind.
From there on, all your money in your " main street" bank is transferable, for free, at the tip of your fingers on a smart phone, to different accounts associated to multiple different cards, and you will never find yourself in such a pickle again :)

Also look up Curve, very popular in the UK, you can use your UK bank card without actually having your card physically, you just use your curve card.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm in a similar predicament - both my UK bank cards have expired and the replacements get sent to my parents' address, but this year I haven't been able to travel there to pick them up and I don't want to risk getting them sent here via courier. I only use my cards for online transfers, purchases, and payments, which I so far I've been able to do with the new card details, but without the physical cards.

Still not sure what the best option is for sending cash. I use Transferwise for paying other people but you need an IBAN number and DR banks do not have IBAN numbers.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I'm in a similar predicament - both my UK bank cards have expired and the replacements get sent to my parents' address, but this year I haven't been able to travel there to pick them up and I don't want to risk getting them sent here via courier. I only use my cards for online transfers, purchases, and payments, which I so far I've been able to do with the new card details, but without the physical cards.

Still not sure what the best option is for sending cash. I use Transferwise for paying other people but you need an IBAN number and DR banks do not have IBAN numbers.
See my above comment for petty amounts of cash.

" Main street" EU bank ( in my case, but UK is similar ) free transfer ( Iban ) to a " neo-banks" account and then free withdrawal from an ATM at inter-bank rated ( well the free versions are up to a certain amount, 300 € for revolut and 200€ for N26 or maybe the other way around ).
In your case it doesn't help as you would need the card in the 1st place....... And even though they do ship to the DR, I pick mine up back at my address in europe, so couldn't couch for them.
Their cards are 5 year expiry dates.

For larger amounts I use viaexpress or Ria ( both from Switzerland, but I guess they work europe-wide ), 5chf fee to send 2000chf ( or more, but I grudge justifying where it comes from to Uncle-Sam-PITA ).
And they bring the cash to my house in the DR.
They also have a nice system that what's app me with the exchange rate.

Reactions: Chirimoya

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

BPD does not function with my PayPal for 5 or 6 weeks now so I left for BHD. I used transferwise to transfer to my BHD USD account so far 3 times and all my transfers arrived at latest after 2 hours. The first even under 30 minutes! You will have to add the BHD account with the Swiftcode which is BCBHDOSD. BPD is BPDODOSX.

Reactions: Chirimoya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If you have an American dollar account at BHD you should be able to transfer online to that acct and avoid the peso crap. I send myself American dollars from my Canadian Bank to my BHD US dollars acct all the times.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
One thing I forgot to mention. Moneygram is cheaper to send money. However, most of their offices are co-located with Banreservas. The lines are generally horrible. I've done it once and will never do it again. Xoom is also cheaper and they are aligned with Caribe Express.
Moneygram is also available in Banco Popular

Reactions: NanSanPedro