Transferring money

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
If you have an American dollar account at BHD you should be able to transfer online to that acct and avoid the peso crap. I send myself American dollars from my Canadian Bank to my BHD US dollars acct all the times.
I think I will try this. Thanks. Do you have to pay for a dollar account?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
If you have an American dollar account at BHD you should be able to transfer online to that acct and avoid the peso crap. I send myself American dollars from my Canadian Bank to my BHD US dollars acct all the times.
Bob can we know which Canadian Bank and are there fees to send USD and are there limits.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
How do you send money with WU? I can receive but I don't understand how to send.
You can't figure out Western Union ? Find a mujer de la calle - She will know
I'm in a similar predicament - both my UK bank cards have expired and the replacements get sent to my parents' address, but this year I haven't been able to travel there to pick them up and I don't want to risk getting them sent here via courier. I only use my cards for online transfers, purchases, and payments, which I so far I've been able to do with the new card details, but without the physical cards.

Still not sure what the best option is for sending cash. I use Transferwise for paying other people but you need an IBAN number and DR banks do not have IBAN numbers.
I have had to have a replacement credit card here and it was sent Fed Ex (Next Day) to CPS who held it at the counter. If you have a shipping forwarder have them give you their International pouch address and send it there.

Everyone should have more than one way to send money here. I can empathize with being without funds but these things need to be planned ahead of time and if his bank in the UK has frozen him out I admire their attempt at security (except they sent the pin & card together) but I would find a bank (at least a 2nd one) with a more personal touch.

In times of Covid not everyone can pop back in to their local branch for tea and biscuits.

Of course maybe the account was cleaned out and they are stalling ? OK bad joke................

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Everyone should have more than one way to send money here. I can empathize with being without funds but these things need to be planned ahead of time and if his bank in the UK has frozen him out I admire their attempt at security (except they sent the pin & card together) but I would find a bank (at least a 2nd one) with a more personal touch.

Excellent advice! I believe in redundancy for everything vital. 2 credit cards, 2 debit cards, accounts with moneygram, wu, and world remit. Overkill? Probably, but being without cash in a foreign country is a scary thing.

Reactions: chico bill

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I'm in a similar predicament - both my UK bank cards have expired and the replacements get sent to my parents' address, but this year I haven't been able to travel there to pick them up and I don't want to risk getting them sent here via courier. I only use my cards for online transfers, purchases, and payments, which I so far I've been able to do with the new card details, but without the physical cards.

Still not sure what the best option is for sending cash. I use Transferwise for paying other people but you need an IBAN number and DR banks do not have IBAN numbers.
... I did have my new USA bank card sent here, when my old card was lost/stolen... the courier was U.P.S. the best way is to pick the card up is at the UPS office at the airport, not perfect as the line was long with most people unhappy at waiting.. my envelope with the card inside was waiting for me...a few days after reporting my card missing my bank called me to say after canceling my card a young Dominican man and lady tried to use it at a medical clinic in Moca... they also told me the exact amount of Pesos and the day and time and to tell the local police... well the police of course said they could find nothing...sooo if your card is missing its really stolen.........

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Fedex - the only courier option in this particular circumstance - lost a document in transit last year so I am nervous about sending credit cards with them. Ditto for the mail forwarding service we use.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can't figure out Western Union ? Find a mujer de la calle - She will know

I have had to have a replacement credit card here and it was sent Fed Ex (Next Day) to CPS who held it at the counter. If you have a shipping forwarder have them give you their International pouch address and send it there.

In times of Covid not everyone can pop back in to their local branch for tea and biscuits.

Of course maybe the account was cleaned out and they are stalling ? OK bad joke................
I don't usually touch the money in those accounts when I'm in the DR. At the moment it is being used to pay for my son's further education in Europe, and for online purchases and subscriptions. But as our income is reduced, it would be good to know I can tap into it if necessary.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Excellent advice! I believe in redundancy for everything vital. 2 credit cards, 2 debit cards, accounts with moneygram, wu, and world remit. Overkill? Probably, but being without cash in a foreign country is a scary thing.
In any country, cash is king

Reactions: johne and Big

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....good thinking.. moneygram is part of WU, only moneygram is inside banks and open only when the bank is...WU has its own offices and open more hours....

Reactions: NanSanPedro