Transit Visas

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
I?m English and my boyfriend is Dominican. He has obtained a Visa for the UK and we plan visiting England within the next couple of months.

The cheapest flights are via the US and I tried contacting the American Embassy here this morning to be greeted by a recorded message in English by a native Spanish speaker who spoke so fast I couldn?t understand a word she said.

Does anyone know how to get a transit Visa and how long it takes.

Many thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Since 9/11 all transit visas have been eliminated

We had the same problem with one of our best golfers, just recently. He had to get a US visa just to go through Miami to get to the Bahamas.

Take a flight to some other place in Europe, since odds are your B/F will never in this llifetime qualify for a US visa..

HB

[music]?nd another one bites the dust! And another one bites the dust!"[music]

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
Thanks HB

Was just trying to save some money as the flights are double the price via France and Spain.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tikes! Double? Ouch!

However, if you consider all the rigermarol that you have to go through just to request a visa to the US, it almost pays to fly via another route.

Surely one of the charter companies has a seat? From Punta Cana, La Romana or SDQ direct to London?

HB

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
I am trying that route, but they are telling me that we have to buy two return tickets each.

If I was travelling on my own I could buy a single from here and then get a last minute deal once in the UK for the return, but because he is Dominican they have to see that he has a return ticket to the DR before they will sell him a ticket to the UK.

So far I have the option of Iberia or Air Europa, any opinions on the service of either of these two would be greatly appreciated, as I have never flown with either of them.

Thank you.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Cant she just get a unrestricted refundable...

ticket and then once there she can cash it in....what do you say Hillbilly....damn you like to rain on peoples parade.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
My return flight to DR

I am flying back to DR soon on AA...and I have a one way flight. My logic is that if needed I can just purchase a refundable flight from Santo Domingo to Puerto Rico...as someone on here had recommmended. I assume I can do that at the airport when checking in or in the DR at the airport if needed. What do you think Hillbilly...go ahead RAIN RAIN RAIN...hehe

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Snuffy: I wasn't raining on anyone's parade

Actually, I was trying to save the woman a lot of money and frustration. Your ideas are probably very good, I know zilch about flights. However, back to rain making:

Let's look at the scenario:

We have an English tourist involved with a male Dominican.
Where did she meet him? At a hotel? Near a hotel? Let's say an 85% probablility on that. Ergo, the guy is a sankie by definition. And he is looking to lead the good life in Merrie Old..
If the guy is in the 15%, he must be (a) uneducated, (b) poor as a church mouse or (c) a hopeless failure.

He is not an executive, because he would already have a visa to the states or to England.
He is not a professional worth his salt, since the above would also be true.
A "Dominican fact": Nobody that is easily qualified for a visa to CAnada, the US or Europe hasnt got one.

Wanna bet he did not even have a passport? Nor a credit card, not a bank account, and probably no phone is his family's house...Probably a cell phone that uses phone cards...

With this scenario, it is obvious that a trip to the US Consulate would be a waste of time for the guy and a waste of money for this lady. So why say "Go for it?"

I was not raining on a parade..was I?? Now this post might be wet and drizzly but not what I wrote up above....

HB:D:D:D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hillbilly said:
He is not an executive, because he would already have a visa to the states or to England.
A "Dominican fact": Nobody that is easily qualified for a visa to CAnada, the US or Europe hasnt got one.
But... but, I have a visa to the US but have never been to Canada or the UK.

I am not an executive anymore so I guess my chances of spreading gossip about Rob back home are ruined now.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
for HB

First I am not a tourist, I live and work here and have done so for a while.

Second, he has a bank account, credit card, car and a visa to the UK.

Third, we are gong on vacation, I have no interest in returning to live in the UK and neither has he.

I asked a question about a transit visa which you were kind enought to answer for me, why the hell do you have to go and make presumptions about my relationship. I?m fully aware of what a Sankie is thank you and old enough and wise enough not to be involved in one.

I always thought this message board was a great place and I?m sure lots of people over the years have been given invaluable advice, but you my friend are way out of line.

I?m out of here.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
ohhhh Boo Hoo

I can see you now...all flustered...you need to be old enough and wise enough not to be offended by anything that HB says. You have been on here for a while then you know ole HB has a serpents tongue. He didnt mean anything...although what he says about the sankie scenerio is 96% of the time true. So okay maybe your situation is different...maybe...but be careful...because many of women have cried their hearts out on this board...once the truth was revealed.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Hb.....

Another one bites the dust. HB when I get back to Santiago I am inviting you over for dinner. You must be one character.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Sharron said:
First I am not a tourist, I live and work here and have done so for a while.

Second, he has a bank account, credit card, car and a visa to the UK.

Third, we are gong on vacation, I have no interest in returning to live in the UK and neither has he.

I asked a question about a transit visa which you were kind enought to answer for me, why the hell do you have to go and make presumptions about my relationship. I?m fully aware of what a Sankie is thank you and old enough and wise enough not to be involved in one.

I always thought this message board was a great place and I?m sure lots of people over the years have been given invaluable advice, but you my friend are way out of line.

I?m out of here.

I'm sure everything HillBilly wrote was in your best interest. If this isn't your situation, then count yourself lucky to have found a decent person. Took me 3 tries to get someone honest, and a lot of pain and tears. Have a nice trip and enjoy all the "luz" and cool weather you can get!

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
what dominican is worthy of a visa then?

this is interesting topic, because my boyfriend is a production manager for cerveceria nacional dominicana (EL PRESIDENTE), a US-majority owned company, and has a masters degree and a degree as a technician and mechanic too. he has a car, albeit not a new one, and his own place. he still makes a measly wage of course according to our standards, but still about 8 times what he dad makes as a property manager. when he was going to apply for a tourist visa they told him not to bother, as he would not be approved.

so how much do you have to make or what do you have to do, to be approved for a US visa?

Hillbilly said:
Actually, I was trying to save the woman a lot of money and frustration. Your ideas are probably very good, I know zilch about flights. However, back to rain making:

Let's look at the scenario:

We have an English tourist involved with a male Dominican.
Where did she meet him? At a hotel? Near a hotel? Let's say an 85% probablility on that. Ergo, the guy is a sankie by definition. And he is looking to lead the good life in Merrie Old..
If the guy is in the 15%, he must be (a) uneducated, (b) poor as a church mouse or (c) a hopeless failure.

Wanna bet he did not even have a passport? Nor a credit card, not a bank account, and probably no phone is his family's house...Probably a cell phone that uses phone cards...

With this scenario, it is obvious that a trip to the US Consulate would be a waste of time for the guy and a waste of money for this lady. So why say "Go for it?"

I was not raining on a parade..was I?? Now this post might be wet and drizzly but not what I wrote up above....

HB:D:D:D

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
SalsaBlondie said:
this is interesting topic, because my boyfriend is a production manager for cerveceria nacional dominicana (EL PRESIDENTE), a US-majority owned company, and has a masters degree and a degree as a technician and mechanic too. he has a car, albeit not a new one, and his own place. he still makes a measly wage of course according to our standards, but still about 8 times what he dad makes as a property manager. when he was going to apply for a tourist visa they told him not to bother, as he would not be approved.

so how much do you have to make or what do you have to do, to be approved for a US visa?
Production manager? Then he must be my cousin's boss. Strange since she has travelled extensively, never had a problem obtaining a visa to any country. Actually I kinda doubt that he was turned down. Something does not compute (Are you sure he is Production Manager?)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sharron: Please excuse me!

If you have found that one in 10,000, you are certainly to be congratulated. And if this gentleman has a visa to the UK, he certainly might qualify for a visa to the US.
By all means, do try to get one. In this case you could wll be pleasantly surprised.

Passport
Photos 2 x 2
Documents on Bank Account
Credit card statements
Car title
Property titles
Letter from his employer stating salary and time of employment
And anything else that might tell the Consul that he will be returning here.
If he has children that live with him or that are dependant upon him for their livelyhood, by all means, include photos and birthcertificates that identify him as the father.

As for you SalsaBlondie, tell your B/f to get a letter from Jos? Le?n and all the rest of the documents, and go apply for a visa. As long as thee are good reasons for him to come back here, the Consul will look with favor on the application.

And, SalsaBlondie, you should go with him and tell the Consul that you will kill your b/f if he overstays his visa...hehehe

Look at it like this: If your b/fs (yours and Sharron's) have the chance to stay in the States, would they? If there is the slightest doubt, believe me the Consul will have it, too.

Think on this.

HB

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
To HB

We have decided not to apply for a US Visa at this time, it?s too time consuming, we want to go to the UK soon, otherwise it will be too cold. He will however be applying later in the year as early next year we wish to vacation in Florida.

The list of documents required you supplied are what I believe he submitted for his UK Visa.

With the influx of assylum seekers and refugees in the UK now, Visas are hard to obtain, so he must have been able to convince the Consulate that he will be returning.

I hope you have a nice day.

Regards
Sharron.

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
hi HB!
just saw this post.
he decided not to apply.. this was just "what he was told". . dont bother. he was told that if he is denied the tourist visa, then applies for the k-1, they might think he was doing it for "negocio" not love.
in any case we decided on the K-1. waiting on the interview date, but they are wasting a long time in assigning the date.
maybe i need a letter from jose leon :)

my BF wouldnt overstay a visa, he has respect for the US government, not to mention, i toe the line overly much so i *would* kill him if he made me look bad. i'd never host an "illegal" nowadays anyway, you can go to jail for this.

Hillbilly said:
As for you SalsaBlondie, tell your B/f to get a letter from Jos? Le?n and all the rest of the documents, and go apply for a visa. As long as thee are good reasons for him to come back here, the Consul will look with favor on the application.

And, SalsaBlondie, you should go with him and tell the Consul that you will kill your b/f if he overstays his visa...hehehe

Look at it like this: If your b/fs (yours and Sharron's) have the chance to stay in the States, would they? If there is the slightest doubt, believe me the Consul will have it, too.

Think on this.

HB