travel solo

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Your research has been going on for almost a year and a half now.

OK... so I am careful. Didn't know that was a crime.

Besides, there are other destinations that had to be seen within the last year and a half.

angelfish

Jul 5, 2010
I would say an AI package is the cheapest way to stay anywhere for a week or 2 of an 1st visit.
Mike

Agreed, yet it depends on your departure city. For Canada & Europe it is @$400 for flight and seven nights. Unbelievable!

I flew in from Costa Rica, paid $1K for the flight and $100 per night!

Also, solo traveler, do NOT hook up with people over the internet (HERE or elsewhere). Huge problem with human trafficking here. Depending on your situation, you could end up as a sex slave, never to return.

My advice: If you are a female, find a friend from home to travel with if you are adventurous and want to wander, or stay in an AI. Avoid and ignore the obnoxious trash. If you have white skin, you are a target. Completely SAFE in an AI. Recommend Punta Cana.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Agreed, yet it depends on your departure city. For Canada & Europe it is @$400 for flight and seven nights. Unbelievable!

I flew in from Costa Rica, paid $1K for the flight and $100 per night!

Also, solo traveler, do NOT hook up with people over the internet (HERE or elsewhere). Huge problem with human trafficking here. Depending on your situation, you could end up as a sex slave, never to return.

My advice: If you are a female, find a friend from home to travel with if you are adventurous and want to wander, or stay in an AI. Avoid and ignore the obnoxious trash. If you have white skin, you are a target. Completely SAFE in an AI. Recommend Punta Cana.

yep,
I paid shortly back over 800 euros for my flight to euope and a month later an other 800 to come back to the Isle.
no transfer or hotel or similar included.
when i see some rates on some packages sometimes where people spend a week at an AI with their flight and taxes included for much less than the 1600 euros I always pay just for the simple flight, ...
it's life.
Mike

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Wow he has been debating this decision for awhile... I love DR, I've done Europe and Brazil before but the DR is amazing... every street you go on there's merengue or bachata playing! Everyone is so warm and friendly. There are a few bad apples but if you're street smart you shouldn't have a problem. I just came back from my 2nd trip 3 weeks ago but just might get back down there for labor day weekend! Or Costa Rica... can't decide, lol!

You got it right man. Someone like yourself should be perfectly fine hanging in SD, so long as you keep your street smarts about yourself. I travel the same way, and it's great.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
yep,
I paid shortly back over 800 euros for my flight to euope and a month later an other 800 to come back to the Isle.
no transfer or hotel or similar included.
when i see some rates on some packages sometimes where people spend a week at an AI with their flight and taxes included for much less than the 1600 euros I always pay just for the simple flight, ...
it's life.
Mike

Mike, next time check the fares with jetair... I know they fly to brussels, but the savings you could make, would make the trip from brussels to germany wel worth it...

normal prices for return flight are around 500 ?, some times as low as 300, but sometimes as high as 1,000...

just an idea....

As for visiting the DR solo... if the OP has traveled solo a lot, which he indicates (so he is streetsmart)... then the DR will be one of the warmest and friendliest countries he visited...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct, I would see it the same.
a flight to Santo Domingo or Santiago or PoP or Puj and start the journey.
who traveled that way before will be fine to do so in the DR, in the Cities and on the Countryside.
I know about those flights, the same when flying with Air Berlin to Berlin first, but on a long flight over the Atlantic I would never travel with a stopover at an other airport, yep, the comfort has it's price then.
Mike

shawn27

May 24, 2010
To the OP- I've only been to Santo Domingo and Boca Chica so I don't have any advice on other destinations but here's roughly how your vacation will go as a solo male. People can argue with me on this, but if you're a solo male then lower class dominicans will assume you want some action. Don't stay at an AI as a solo male unless you want to be surrounded by families all day. I wouldn't even stay at a larger hotel. As a solo traveller I feel it's best to stay at smaller hotels. Staff is more friendly and it's been my experience that some will even hang out with you after their shift is up. Go to the colmado's and have a drink. If you're in Santo Domingo walk around the colonial zone and the parque de indenpendencia. Go to Duarte ( I think it's called,) which is a cool barrio.

You said in an earlier post you were into beautiful women, there are plenty in DR but it will be extremely difficult for you to find a woman that doesn't have an agenda, especially if you're a tourist. I mean think about it- why would the respectable dominicans girls waste their time on tourists? If you're looking for girls while you're there expect to get certain kinds of girls, lol! I guess as long as both parties get what they want everything is cool. Most importantly I feel you have to have street smarts if travelling solo in DR. I really like immersing myself with the people which admittedely is easy for me to do bc I'm mulatto and look like the typical dominican. Once they find out you are a tourist however some will try to play games. As long as you can see through the games you'll be fine. Last thing- people say DR is so dangerous.. I didn't feel unsafe at all there.

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Thank you for your responses.

Shawn: I am of mixed heritage as well, Native, White and Black, and have had similar experiences in Central America. Nobody took notice of me until I opened my mouth. After they found out I was American, everybody treated me in such a way that I felt like a giant roasted chicken in a dog pound. I found that part of my travels very distasteful. Thanks for the in- depth response.

H

henryfrd07

Hi friends,I'm henry.I'm here to share my travel experience to all of you.
--------
Have a nice day!

edluv1

May 25, 2010
Will be traveling solo to Santo Domingo this labor day weekend...staying in the Colonial Zone...I was there 2 months ago...had a great time but would like to see more...anyone else going?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i will be going at the end of sep i been out there many times and one time by my self. i hung out even in the poor areas just got to blind in

dskreet2

May 27, 2010
Solo male traveler to the DR last year and will be again this year in less than 2 weeks. I stayed at Don Juan Resorts (A/I), Boca Chica last year for 12 nights including airfare for under $1,300 US. Being Native Ameican/Black mix, I fit in well except I was dressed to fashionably and stood out as a tourist. But I met some really nice people in BC. I read info from Debbie's website about bringing gifts for the children, which I did. The ladies were so appreciative that they looked out for me the rest of my trip without asking for more, or for payment. Last year I went to the cinema and Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo with a lady friend and had a great time. Traveled by small 30 person bus that cost maybe a dollar US to and from BC. Staying in the Colonial area this trip, but I only booked it for a couple of days because I want to travel to other parts of the island. Any suggestions on bus transportation or renting a car?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Solo male traveler to the DR last year and will be again this year in less than 2 weeks. I stayed at Don Juan Resorts (A/I), Boca Chica last year for 12 nights including airfare for under $1,300 US. Being Native Ameican/Black mix, I fit in well except I was dressed to fashionably and stood out as a tourist. But I met some really nice people in BC. I read info from Debbie's website about bringing gifts for the children, which I did. The ladies were so appreciative that they looked out for me the rest of my trip without asking for more, or for payment. Last year I went to the cinema and Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo with a lady friend and had a great time. Traveled by small 30 person bus that cost maybe a dollar US to and from BC. Staying in the Colonial area this trip, but I only booked it for a couple of days because I want to travel to other parts of the island. Any suggestions on bus transportation or renting a car?

Don't rent a car, too crazy, too many problems. Take a Caribe tours bus from SD to wherever you want to go as they have buses to most of the country except east of SDQ. Try Jarabacoa or Bani or Cabarete and so on.

dskreet2

May 27, 2010
Thanks RV! I checked the website, but there does not seem to be any online purchase capability. I was able to book a couple of nights in Sousa for the 11th and 12th of June. Should I search Sosua clubs or discos or what to find the nightlife entertainment?