Travel suggestion for 1 month trip to DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
yes, I would if I need to, I am not working on a strict tight budget, although for same price, I would prefer airbnb
(I have more or less good experience wth airbnb).
I am learning a bit of spanish hope it will help, and may be I will learn more spanish when I am there.

Few more minor queries, probably need their own dedicated thread :)
1. Got only 100 dollar, just for first day or two, before I know a good place to withdraw cash. I don't like the idea of carrying too much cash, and think cash withdrawal charges on my card a good compromise/insurance. What do you think?
2. Is there a supermarket near bavaro where I can buy a decent pair of walking shoes? Mine are old, and if it costs more of less same as uk I would prefer to buy there.
3. Any good massage place near Bavaro?(real massage :) )

Do yourself a huge favor - bring a good pair of walking shoes, don't expect to find them in DR.

There's a nice hostel that might suit you well as a base, in Santo Domingo's Colonial Zone, the owner is a member of DR1: http://www.islandlifebackpackershostel.com/

May 29, 2006
And LOTS of fresh pairs of socks. Even at a pair a day, you end up washing. Those odor eaters are nice too. In the tropics, you sweat about a cup per day per shoe. At least you can usually buy more at about 100 pesos per pair...

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
I am traveling with my family next month. I have already done some research but need some suggestions. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Please! Do only good things! Do not do bad things!!
We need to Make Boca-Chica Great Again.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I am traveling with my family next month. I have already done some research but need some suggestions. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

What airport ? Beach, Bars, Waterfalls, the Capital ? What are you thinking about doing while there ?

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
If you end up in Santiago check out Casa Bader. You can google it for the addess. Its the oldest bar in Santiago, if not the Country. Easily a couple hundred years old. Still have the old refrigerators, old western type swinging door, and old pictures. A short straight walk away is a beautiful Cathedral, and other historic buildings right infront of the Cathedral.

On Calle de sol there is a really nice Hostel named "W". You can walk to the previous mentioned areas, as well as the monument which is, IMO, the most notable landmark in Santiago. Its been really cleaned up and made more attractive in the last few years, and its surrounded by good restaurants!

I live in Santiago, if you want any info feel free to PM me.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Please! Do only good things! Do not do bad things!!
We need to Make Boca-Chica Great Again.

Avoid Boca Chica at all cost. The place is an
absolute sh*thole. Bring your common sense with you and remember...
nothing good happens anywhere after midnight.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
Avoid Boca Chica at all cost. The place is an
absolute sh*thole. Bring your common sense with you and remember...
nothing good happens anywhere after midnight.
Actually, there exists a good Italian restaurant there near the central park. It used to have the best pizza on the island, IMHO, until inconveniences caused them to stop making it.

PlataSI

Feb 14, 2019
I was intensly ready from the beginning before realizing the original post is more than 3 years old.