Travel with Service Animals

will dr

Jan 6, 2021
santo domingo
i will be traveling to santo domingo from usa with my service dog. does anyone how service dogs are treated in dr for example can they go in stores and such? also looking to travel to punta cana any ai hotels that accept service dog?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What service does the animal provide? Why do you need a service dog?

Are you legally blind with a harness attached to the dog for guidance, or do you have a pet you take with you on a 4' leash?

I'm not saying it's true in your case, but some folks have really stretched the meaning of a service dog.

Reactions: Auryn

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018

Are you legally blind with a harness attached to the dog for guidance, or do you have a pet you take with you on a 4' leash?

I'm not saying it's true in your case, but some folks have really stretched the meaning of a service dog.
I agree, is it really? My neighbor has a poodle she drags everywhere. The dog can bearly understand 2 commands, and not very well. Seriously ... an 'emotion support animal' is, well like a teddy bear.

Reactions: JD Jones

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

i believe the poster was asking how service dogs are treated in the DR........i dont think she was looking for a lecture about how some people abuse this service

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
i believe the poster was asking how service dogs are treated in the DR........i dont think she was looking for a lecture about how some people abuse this service
I simply asked if it was a guide dog or not after the OP asked if they would be allowed in stores.
A person with a dog on a leash will probably not be allowed in most supermarkets. I have personally seen a person with a dog on a lease denied entry in JUMBO.
I'd bet dollars to donuts if it was a visually impaired person with a guide dog they would be allowed to enter.
I have no idea how they would be treated at an AI.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The question is, when a person enters a public place with a service dog that is trained to alert others if a person has an episode, what does that person expect to happen if they have an episode?
I doubt the service animal would make a difference.

Father Guido

Jul 24, 2022
SDQ
i will be traveling to santo domingo from usa with my service dog. does anyone how service dogs are treated in dr for example can they go in stores and such? also looking to travel to punta cana any ai hotels that accept service dog?
I know how the stray dogs are treated

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The question is, when a person enters a public place with a service dog that is trained to alert others if a person has an episode, what does that person expect to happen if they have an episode?
maybe you should enlighten yourself to what an actual service dog does before you offer your doubts .....and please stay on topic ...some of the moderators dont like it when people go off topic

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Since this thread opened, I've tried to remember seeing a guide dog in my close to 4 years in country. I don't remember seeing one ever. I've been to AIs 5 times and don't remember seeing one there either. I think it would behoove the OP to call his AI and find out directly.