Traveling concerns

beanny007

Apr 7, 2015
Hey everyone it's me again in a separate thread.

Thank you for all the info about T-mobile I'll try the wifi calling and if I need to I'll get a claro card. I'll be visiting
in June and it's my first time so I have a ton of questions. I'm getting married at the end of May and will be
visiting my fiance's family in La Romana. Hopefully we can get a ride from the airport. If not, do you suggest
buses or renting a car? I've never driven in DR but I drive in NJi in the USA:

1) How is driving here compared to RD?

2) We're going to go from La Romana to Las Terrenas eventually. Should I drive or try the Guaguas to get to
Santo Domingo and then from there take a big bus (I forget the company)

3)I'm a gringo but grew up in a Puerto Rican neighborhood. My spanish is not perfect but I have a good accent.
Will I be safe to take public transportation? I might look like a tourist and it might be silly but I'm afraid of getting
robbed. My fiance is from RD on the other hand.

4) What's the best way to carry money outside?

To make things worse I saw articles today of people dieing and getting shot in the head and stabbed to death
for little things. This is the only fear I have going to RD. On the other hand every Dominican I've met here in
Jersey were cool people. I'm almost embarrassed asking about this since I don't want to be in RD as a tourist
but almost like a second country.

Driving is INSANE!! No one uses signals and if they do it is probably the wrong direction, 2 lanes of traffic turn into 4, no one looks when pulling out. Motos come from all directions not paying attention etc... I could go on and on but i won't! I like driving here but i like wild driving. If you are a nervous driver I would say don't drive here.

You will be fine on Public transit just use common sense and don't be flashy with money or nice things.

Carry only as much money as you think you will need, many people seem to have 2 wallets or keep money in different places. (not sure if you are a guy or girl) Lately motos seem to be grabbing purses while driving by so be aware of that.

Ya there is some crazy violence here but i have never had a problem. Just act how you should in any strange place, be aware of your surroundings!

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
If you are not an experience driver don't drive. If you do drive always remember there is always someone in front, behind and to the side of your vehicle.

beanny007

Apr 7, 2015
... (not sure if you are a guy or girl) Lately motos seem to be grabbing purses while driving by so be aware of that.

I'm a dude hombre :smoke: thanks for the info though. I don't mind wild driving but I don't know how I'll explain any of that to an insurance company on a rental so I think I'll do public and maybe have two wallets.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Have you asked your "Novia" any of those questions????
She should know best!
Congratulations.
Will you live,here, or in Jersey???
Camden is nice!
Lots of Dominicans love it there!
They feel right at home.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
Public transportation is reasonably priced and readily available Caribetours and Metro and the others with large buses are LOTS more comfortable than the smaller guaguas (Toyota Coasters and the like).

You can take a bus from the SDQ airport to Boca Chica and take a bus from there on to La Romana. La Romana is East of the SDQ airport, Santo Domingo is 20 kms. West. So if you take a cab into SD and then take a bus, you will be traveling the same road twice. Not a terribly scenic route.
Boca Chica is just E. of the SDQ airport. La Romana is under 2 hrs E. of there.

Driving is pretty wild, and car rental costs are similar to in the US. I do not drive in the DR, but I have time to take the bus.

I suggest putting your passport and cash you do not need right away in one of those bags you hang around your neck. Pants with velcro tabs on the pockets are a useful way to avoid pickpockets. Pickpockets are much more rare and unskilled than those one finds in Europe.
Change only the money you need for the day at the airport. They give better rates after you go through customs. You can save maybe 10 minutes by getting your USD$10 visa online.
You can get about $43 Dominican pesos for a dollar. The largest bill is $2000 pesos, and no one seems to want to change them, so try to get $500 and $1000 pesos instead. $1000 is $23US.

beanny007

Apr 7, 2015
Thanks Criss,... Was that a joke? Camden is nuts amigo.. I did and unfortunately she doesn't know a lot... she never traveled around like this and she doesn't drive.

Congratulations

Thanks! We'll be living in Jersey but I'm thinking about moving down there someday. Are you from there?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i drive and don't find it much of an issue but if you have doubts about it don't force yourself. i used transporte publico for years and found it easy and safe. always have change to pay for it, thou, because the drivers are lousy lying fcukers and will try to overcharge when possible.

senseless crime you mentioned, such as stabbing over game of dominoes doesn't really happen to tourists, relax.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
"Lo siento...no cambio."

How many times have I heard that BS. Then they expect YOU to walk around and try to find change.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
You mean like a man purse? Or what about backpack?

Just please don't wear a fanny pack, there is never an excuse for that!!!

Anything EXCEPT!!

FANNYPACK.jpeg

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hey everyone it's me again in a separate thread.

1) How is driving here compared to RD?

2) We're going to go from La Romana to Las Terrenas eventually. Should I drive or try the Guaguas to get to
Santo Domingo and then from there take a big bus (I forget the company)

Seems you will be starting your time off in La Romana, so will see how people drive here first hand during your first few days.

If your travel plans are only La Romana to Las Terrenas and back, your journey would involve very straightforward drives and I will describe below what to expect. Driven the route many times.

La Romana is not the biggest of towns and now has easy access onto Autovia del Este (3) (dual carriageway generally light traffic except the section passing Boca Chica) and this takes you to the start of Autopista Juan Pablo 3 to Samana (if you choose to drive you will need to understand the entry onto this road which is poorly signposted). This new road is single carriageway and again very lightly trafficked but is a toll road. The directions to Las Terrenas from the end are well signposted and after a few kilometeres of easy drive road you take a new near empty toll road to the small town.

Las Terrenas is a very small town with narrow streets and a one way system in the center. No many cars but numerous motorbikes and quads make driving very slow and chaotic the order of the day. The place has been a French enclave for many years so everybody copies them and enter from the left thinking they have right of way over the main traffic flow. But it is such a small place and you easily adapt.

Ultimately your choice to drive or not to drive. I would not have suggested this if your drive involved passing through Santo Domingo, Santiago or indeed along the North Coast from POP where INSANE driving is indeed the norm.

Final point....seems you are nervous about potential robbery...... if you opt for the bus route, the area of LT bus terminus in SD is in the Barahona Av /Duarte Av area and is a thieves paradise so be ultra cautious there.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
You mean like a man purse? Or what about backpack?

Do not hang anything frm your neck, it allows you to be controled by the neck or strangled. you can get a money belt or a body pack worn under a shirt. just google it you will find it. I use a throw away wallet no matter where in the world I travel, full of business cards and old expired credit cards and about ten dollars cash. Robber wants it he can have it. My real cards and cash are safely hidden.

beanny007

Apr 7, 2015
Do not hang anything frm your neck, it allows you to be controled by the neck or strangled. you can get a money belt or a body pack worn under a shirt. just google it you will find it. I use a throw away wallet no matter where in the world I travel, full of business cards and old expired credit cards and about ten dollars cash. Robber wants it he can have it. My real cards and cash are safely hidden.

Thank you that's what I was looking for but I didnt know what it was called. I definitely didnt want to do the kneck thing because I thought that was asking for trouble. I'm trying to figure out where and how to hide the other stuff now.