Travels from DR to Toronto - Covid-19 Quarantine Hotel Toronto - Crowne Plaza

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
No surprise..since start 5000 passengers were caught with virus...1400 within 10 days of arrival..so ya eventually a hotel will have a few..I would say it’s helping..

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
They should do a study to see if part of the problem might lie in the bus trip to the hotel. Nothing like mixing dozens of passengers together from all over the world into a bus in the name of safety.

Reactions: Patti Shabaga

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
They should do a study to see if part of the problem might lie in the bus trip to the hotel. Nothing like mixing dozens of passengers together from all over the world into a bus in the name of safety.

The problem is Canadian and non Canadian citizens arriving from heavily infected countries with no proper testing. Until the Canadian government refuses entry to people without proper negative tests and airlines in infected countries refuse to board people without proper tests, the problem will get worse. Send one flight load of international travellers without proper testing back to their home country and the message will be sent around the world.

The flow of international travellers to Canada has never stopped. The ban on flights from India and Pakistan is only for a month. What happens after that? The government wrongly focused on Canadians returning from the DR and Mexico to give the appearance of doing something serious while keeping the back door open for the rest of the world.

An outbreak in a Covid hotel is not surprising. It was inevitable. If you concentrate infected travellers in one area, infection spread is inevitable. If it happens in medical facilities where stringent protocols are adhered to, it’s definitely going to happen in facilities with laxer controls. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the obvious.

One of my friends from Quebec just returned to Canada via the US to Montreal. She was quoted a price of $300 a night, breakfast only, in a designated Covid hotel. Four days before her arrival, she was informed the price was now $800 a night.

Price gouging, infection breakouts, inadequately trained hotel staff and security guards, poor quality food and room cleaning services, are just a few of the problems associated with the hotels.

The newest problem is the home Covid test kits given to arriving travellers by the Canadian government. After 8 days isolation your supposed to test yourself and report the results. People are not doing it, some because they haven’t isolated and are infected. They are out in public infecting others. The tracking and enforcement promised by the federal government is not being done rendering the system ineffective.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Interesting statistic just released by CBC. Total number of people arriving at Toronto airport fined for rejecting their mandatory stay at a Covid hotel 510. Total number fined at Montreal and Calgary airports 0. Guess where I’m returning to on my way back from the DR in July?

Reactions: DR fan1990

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
The problem is Canadian and non Canadian citizens arriving from heavily infected countries with no proper testing. Until the Canadian government refuses entry to people without proper negative tests and airlines in infected countries refuse to board people without proper tests, the problem will get worse. Send one flight load of international travellers without proper testing back to their home country and the message will be sent around the world.

The flow of international travellers to Canada has never stopped. The ban on flights from India and Pakistan is only for a month. What happens after that? The government wrongly focused on Canadians returning from the DR and Mexico to give the appearance of doing something serious while keeping the back door open for the rest of the world.

An outbreak in a Covid hotel is not surprising. It was inevitable. If you concentrate infected travellers in one area, infection spread is inevitable. If it happens in medical facilities where stringent protocols are adhered to, it’s definitely going to happen in facilities with laxer controls. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to figure out the obvious.

One of my friends from Quebec just returned to Canada via the US to Montreal. She was quoted a price of $300 a night, breakfast only, in a designated Covid hotel. Four days before her arrival, she was informed the price was now $800 a night.

Price gouging, infection breakouts, inadequately trained hotel staff and security guards, poor quality food and room cleaning services, are just a few of the problems associated with the hotels.

The newest problem is the home Covid test kits given to arriving travellers by the Canadian government. After 8 days isolation your supposed to test yourself and report the results. People are not doing it, some because they haven’t isolated and are infected. They are out in public infecting others. The tracking and enforcement promised by the federal government is not being done rendering the system ineffective.
First logical and common sense answer I have seen in a while.
Too bad the politicians don't have the same clairvoyance.

fgu

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
Interesting statistic just released by CBC. Total number of people arriving at Toronto airport fined for rejecting their mandatory stay at a Covid hotel 510. Total number fined at Montreal and Calgary airports 0. Guess where I’m returning to on my way back from the DR in July?
Courts are going to love these statistics. Lawyers will have a field day with this

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not quite as straight forward as one may think. Alberta didn't sign the same agreement with the federal government. https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hotel-quarantine-fine-government-calgary-montreal-travel-1.6010444

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Not quite as straight forward as one may think. Alberta didn't sign the same agreement with the federal government. https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hotel-quarantine-fine-government-calgary-montreal-travel-1.6010444
Just saw the news item on CBC. Logically and legally, Montreal would probably be my best reentry point to avoid a Covid hotel stay. If the province writes the tickets, they are legally binding to residents of Quebec. As a resident of NL, they would have no legal jurisdiction over me as a person transiting through Montreal on my way to NL.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Just saw the news item on CBC. Logically and legally, Montreal would probably be my best reentry point to avoid a Covid hotel stay. If the province writes the tickets, they are legally binding to residents of Quebec. As a resident of NL, they would have no legal jurisdiction over me as a person transiting through Montreal on my way to NL.
This is the major problem with Canadian politics. Battles/bickering between Provincial and federal jurisdiction solve nothing and is only use for political advantages come election time. Welcome to a united Canada!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is the major problem with Canadian politics. Battles/bickering between Provincial and federal jurisdiction solve nothing and is only use for political advantages come election time. Welcome to a united Canada!
As long as the politicians only give lip service to the west of the country, there will never be true unity.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Turns out 13 staff members tested positive for covid. Looks like even if you survive the bus ride covid free, you worries are far from over.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
As long as the politicians only give lip service to the west of the country, there will never be true unity.
Bob. Kenny and Legault have been maverick premiers in their approach to controlling the movement of their populations in and out of the country since the pandemic began.

It was Kenny who promoted the bubble between Alberta and Hawaii to keep West Jet alive. It was Legault who begged Trudeau to shut down flights to sun destinations from Quebec. Both premiers are very reticent to fully lock down their provinces, even today with high infection numbers and filled ICU’s in their provinces.

No surprise to me that Montreal and Calgary airports are not fining returning travellers who refuse to stay in the Covid hotels. The premiers didn’t want the Feds stepping on their provincial toes and opted to enforce (not enforce) the mandatory Covid hotel stay.

Ford would have gone the same route if the situation in Ontario hadn’t reached the current level of infection and ICU admissions. It’s no secret he doesn’t like Trudeau. They are uneasy political bedfellows for the time being.

I predicted the mandatory Covid hotel stay would come crashing down eventually. It’s a political house of cards not founded on good science or proper enforcement. Done to appease the premiers of Ontario and Quebec.

The silver lining here is Canadians planning to return from the DR and Mexico after their long stays have options to get around this political farce.

In the 80’s Pierre Trudeau created the rift between the West and Ottawa with his disastrous Petroleum Exploration Grant program that diminished the Alberta oil
Industry. His son just created a bigger rift with his carbon tax and lack of support for the Alberta oil industry. Canadian unity is not a concept the Trudeau family understands.

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto

Toronto Public Health investigating possible COVID-19 outbreak at quarantine hotel​

The Crowne Plaza Hotel, located at 22 Carlson Court, in the Highway 27 and Dixon Road area, is the focus of the investigation, public health confirmed on Sunday.

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/05...ssible-covid-19-outbreak-at-quarantine-hotel/
MAN , CAN WE STOP THE FACEBOOK PROPRAGANADA SPREADING . HAD YOU WAITED FOR THE FULLSTORY , INSTEAD OF THE BS , BREAKING NEWS , YOU WOULD LEARN LIKE THE IDIOT PREMIER OF THE PROVINCE OF ONTARIO, THE OUT BREAK IS HOTEL STAFF , THUS COMMUNITY SPREAD. SO THEY PUT THOSE RETURNING AT RISK , NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. STOP BUYING INTO THE BULL , REPORTERS ARE JUST A MOUTH PIECE EXTENTION OF A POLITICIAN.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
MAN, I really don't care who is infecting who. The point is that imprisoning people in Covid hotels was always a very bad and foolish idea

I posted this to make travelers aware of the danger of checking into this ( or any ) Covid Hotel prison.

BTW - you don't need to shout :cool:

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
MAN, I really don't care who is infecting who. The point is that imprisoning people in Covid hotels was always a very bad and foolish idea

I posted this to make travelers aware of the danger of checking into this ( or any ) Covid Hotel prison.

BTW - you don't need to shout :cool:
SMH, prison at home or prison at hotel. They are playing clue and we are the pieces . Shout , listen ....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Turns out this hotel quarantine "requirement" is nothing more than a threat! They can't issue fines because they know they would be dismissed in courts.
Haha.

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I live in Quebec, to think that I actually cancelled my trip to DR due to this sad attempt at intimidating Canadian travellers is infuriating!

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I live in Quebec, to think that I actually cancelled my trip to DR due to this sad attempt at intimidating Canadian travellers is infuriating!
I totally agree. I made the mistake of coming back to Canada in February 2020 and it was a fear based decision. I should stayed or returned to the DR till late summer. This is the longest winter I have spent in Canada in 16 years. Never again. Better days ahead amigo.

Status
Not open for further replies.