Trending topic: US Embassy note on migration checks

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
El-Dia-22-Nov-1024x1000.png
El Dia newspaper cartoon on 22 November 2022

The Dominican government, through the Ministry of Foreign Relations, rejected the wording of the US Embassy note: “Alert: Ongoing Dominican Migration Enforcement.” The note was uploaded to the US Embassy website on Saturday, 19 November 2022

The Ministry of Foreign Relations issued a statement whereby it says the country considers the note “unfounded, untimely and unfortunate.” The Ministry of Foreign Relations says that the terms of the note contradict the excellent bilateral relationship that exists between the Dominican Republic and the United States in all areas: political, economic, military, social and cooperation, whether in the areas of drug trafficking, human trafficking, arms and ammunition smuggling, corruption or the fight against impunity, among others.

The Ministry of Foreign Relations states:“Our country is the first US trading...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

larieau100

Aug 13, 2015
This is horrible to read. I am a US citizen and I travel to the DR typically 3 to 4 times a year. I now have to rethink my visits to the DR. I'm hearing cases of dark skin African Americans being detained while on vacations in the DR. Also we are hearing cases of Hatians who have there proper paper work still being deported back tho Haiti. I think it may be time for US citizens to protest the DR government and STOP TRAVELING to the DR.

Since the DR government wants to detain and deport people based on skin color the people of the world should say I don't want to support such a country and choose to vacation elsewhere.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is horrible to read. I am a US citizen and I travel to the DR typically 3 to 4 times a year. I now have to rethink my visits to the DR. I'm hearing cases of dark skin African Americans being detained while on vacations in the DR. Also we are hearing cases of Hatians who have there proper paper work still being deported back tho Haiti. I think it may be time for US citizens to protest the DR government and STOP TRAVELING to the DR.

Since the DR government wants to detain and deport people based on skin color the people of the world should say I don't want to support such a country and choose to vacation elsewhere.
You have every right to elect coming here or not for your vacation. How else do you think U.S. citizens may protest this abuse may I ask?

Reactions: JD Jones

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I for one appreciate the efforts of the President and the country to secure its border, people and protect its sovereignty.

Reactions: SKY and JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

But do you have any concrete facts to back up what you are hearing? I have been looking for factual reports in the news and haven't found any.

Reactions: SKY and NanSanPedro

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
But do you have any concrete facts to back up what you are hearing? I have been looking for factual reports in the news and haven't found any.
He read the garbage that the US Embassy wrote.....................

larieau100

Aug 13, 2015
For starters this came directly from the US Government:

The wording of the US Embassy note is:
“Alert: Ongoing Dominican Migration Enforcement
“This message is to advise US citizens that in recent months travelers to the Dominican Republic have reported being delayed, detained, or subject to heightened questioning at ports of entry and in other encounters with immigration officials based on their skin color. Reports of disparate treatment of US citizens by Dominican authorities are a matter of ongoing concern to the US Embassy.

“In addition, in recent days, as reported in Dominican media, Dominican Migration (DGM) agents have conducted widespread operations aimed at detaining those they believe to be undocumented migrants, especially persons of Haitian descent. These actions may lead to increased interaction with Dominican authorities, especially for darker skinned US citizens and US citizens of African descent. In some cases, authorities have not respected these individuals’ legal status in the Dominican Republic or nationality. There are reports that detainees are kept in overcrowded detention centers, without the ability to challenge their detention, and without access to food or restroom facilities, sometimes for days at a time, before being released or deported to Haiti.

(It doesn't get anymore concrete then this)

• Haha
Reactions: cavok

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

“This message is to advise US citizens that in recent months travelers to the Dominican Republic have reported being delayed, detained, or subject to heightened questioning at ports of entry and in other encounters with immigration officials based on their skin color. Reports of disparate treatment of US citizens by Dominican authorities are a matter of ongoing concern to the US Embassy.

“In addition, in recent days, as reported in Dominican media, Dominican Migration (DGM) agents have conducted widespread operations aimed at detaining those they believe to be undocumented migrants, especially persons of Haitian descent. These actions may lead to increased interaction with Dominican authorities, especially for darker skinned US citizens and US citizens of African descent. In some cases, authorities have not respected these individuals’ legal status in the Dominican Republic or nationality. There are reports that detainees are kept in overcrowded detention centers, without the ability to challenge their detention, and without access to food or restroom facilities, sometimes for days at a time, before being released or deported to Haiti.

It’s not concrete at all. It says IT MAY LEAD TO INCREASED INTERACTION…. As far as I can tell, it’s just a “heads up”.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

Hearing stories and having actual confirmation/proof are two different things. Please provide links to these stories as opposed to hearsay.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

I think your post borders on deliberate race baiting.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Americans need to be more worried about American immigration. https://www.truthdig.com/articles/t...ns-have-been-mistakenly-detained-or-deported/ I have for actual cases of American citizens detained and can only find the three Haitian Americans accused of drug smuggling in 2021.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I see two separate issues:

1. Deportation
2. Mistreatment

One is allowed
One shouldn't be.

I will leave it as an exercise left to the reader to figure it out.