Trial for Murder of Lindsay de Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What are the possible ways to access the trial? There has to be a recording somewhere...no? After the trial is concluded?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
What are the possible ways to access the trial? There has to be a recording somewhere...no? After the trial is concluded?
Start hounding the local media and they will cover the story. I also recommend contacting David Jessop (Senor Editor at Dominican Today) and ask if they plan on covering the trial david.jessop@caribbean-council.org
Make these media outlets understand several friends and family members are unable to attend this trial in person but want to show as much support as they/ we can.

Reactions: Auryn

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Start hounding the local media and they will cover the story. I also recommend contacting David Jessop (Senor Editor at Dominican Today) and ask if they plan on covering the trial david.jessop@caribbean-council.org
Make these media outlets understand several friends and family members are unable to attend this trial in person but want to show as much support as they/ we can.
Done. Your link above made it effortless and seamless. Thanks....now lets see what the reply is.

Reactions: CristoRey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

It's also very important to hound the Spanish-speaking press.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's also very important to hound the Spanish-speaking press.
100% agreed.
That's what I meant when I said "local press" . Very important. The more noise we make, the more attention it will receive. In this country the loudest one usually wins. Viva El Gallo!

Reactions: NanSanPedro

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
100% agreed.
That's what I meant when I said "local press" . Very important. The more noise we make, the more attention it will receive. In this country the loudest one usually wins. Viva El Gallo!
Why don't some people of DR1 contact Delores? Isn't her family connected to one of the largest newspapers in the country?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why don't some people of DR1 contact Delores? Isn't her family connected to one of the largest newspapers in the country?
That's a good idea.
Personally I've never met Delores so I've no idea about who her family may have connections with.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is it a fact that press coverage can affect the outcome of a trial in the DR?

Is the rule of law that poor?

I am looking for proof of when press coverage of a murder trial made a difference in the judges decision.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Is it a fact that press coverage can affect the outcome of a trial in the DR?

Is the rule of law that poor?

I am looking for proof of when press coverage of a murder trial made a difference in the judges decision.
I've never seen it as being able to affect the outcome, but I'm sure it can certainly affect the decision of the judge if he has a range of options for penalties.

Reactions: Auryn

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I've never seen it as being able to affect the outcome, but I'm sure it can certainly affect the decision of the judge if he has a range of options for penalties.
Is there such a thing here in the DR as "impact statements" from family (or friends??) after charge of "guilty" but before sentencing?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So all the call for getting the "press involved" is not going to change the decision, but if found guilty it could change the sentence.
Interesting.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So all the call for getting the "press involved" is not going to change the decision, but if found guilty it could change the sentence.
Interesting.
Isn't that the way it goes in all courtrooms, mas O meno? When defense lawyers suspect the jurors were unduly influenced...don't they call for a mistrial? However, when it comes time for sentencing, there lies the opportunity for s stiffer punishment. I think? We'll see.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
This case is so egregious the judge should automatically give the stiffest sentence there is.

I have always been under the impression that "who is the person being sentenced" is the main factor determining sentencing in Dominican Republic. People from "those families" seem to be able to do reasonably terrible things and get a slap on the wrist, whilst a Haitian will get shot dead for stealing a bag of candy.

Reactions: Jumbo and drstock

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have always been under the impression that "who is the person being sentenced" is the main factor determining sentencing in Dominican Republic. People from "those families" seem to be able to do reasonably terrible things and get a slap on the wrist, whilst a Haitian will get shot dead for stealing a bag of candy.
I don't remember, are her murders anyone special?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I don't remember, are her murders anyone special?

No. Her husband has always wanted to be a big shot but never was. He was reportedly hanging around with some bigshots in the drugs world, which didn't end well, then stood for mayor (twice) which didn't end well, then decided he would study to become a lawyer and just after he qualified he allegedly attempted to murder his wife three times. Thereby putting him into prison awaiting trail and ending his legal career, so that didn't end well either. I would go as far as to say that, in my opinion, he was probably jealous of Lindsay who was intelligent, resourceful and always found a way to make some money and succeed.

He was put on preventiva in December 2019 and has been inside ever since. Clearly if he had any influence with anyone they would have let him out on bail by now. The others on trial are his two sons and his best mate.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
This case is so egregious the judge should automatically give the stiffest sentence there is.

I disagree. Everyone deserves a fair trial and to have their defence heard. There should never be an automatic presumption of guilt. This country seriously needs and deserves a fair fairer judiciary system and won't grow up until it has one.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I disagree. Everyone deserves a fair trial and to have their defence heard. There should never be an automatic presumption of guilt. This country seriously needs and deserves a fair fairer judiciary system and won't grow up until it has one.
What I'm saying is, assuming that they will be found guilty, they should get the stiffest sentence there is. I wasn't saying they should be sentenced without a trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.