Trial for Murder of Lindsay de Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As I understand it, they’re not looking for absentee witness statements, they want physical attendance.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I wonder whether the British newspapers may be interested in this. I seem to remember that they turned up to the murder trial of Nicole from Puerto Plata and they did report on Lindsay's murder. Is anyone making sure that they are aware this is happening?

Also I presume the British Embassy is aware of this and will be represented at the trial?

Reactions: campesinadeatl

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I am also a bit confused as to why there is so much importance being attached to character witnesses. Surely the defendants should be tried according to evidence? And in this case there is a fair amount of evidence which suggests that they did it. Is the suggestion that even though there is the existence of such evidence, the fact that a few of their mates pitch up and say "Ah Danilo's a nice guy, I've known him for years" will mean they could get off the hook?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am also a bit confused as to why there is so much importance being attached to character witnesses. Surely the defendants should be tried according to evidence? And in this case there is a fair amount of evidence which suggests that they did it. Is the suggestion that even though there is the existence of such evidence, the fact that a few of their mates pitch up and say "Ah Danilo's a nice guy, I've known him for years" will mean they could get off the hook?
That's basically how it works down here. As unfortunate as it is, it matters. The more attention this case gets and the more people who show up on her behalf, the less likely these duchebags are to walk with a lesser sentence than they deserve.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
There exist a myriad of high profile cases in this country which should help to clear up your confusion.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
That's basically how it works down here. As unfortunate as it is, it matters.
What was requested was a court room presence. The judge and team will need the sense of their feet being held to the fire of accountability to the victim and her family. A strong presence with cameras and video and streaming to social media help these decision makers feel the heat. If there is little presence on the side of the victim, it's easier for judges to follow the path of least resistance, etc. Catch my drift

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I think there has been quite a lot of press on the case and hopefully the British Embassy is letting it be known they are watching.
The US embassy leaned a lot on the Dominican system when Brent Lewis's killers went on trial.

But one of them was an American slug who got the full dose of 3 yrs, but they did cut the main Dominicana planner and a crooked Dominican lawyer who forged property transfer breaks on reduced sentences.
Don't expect a 30-year sentence for Lyndsay's killers - be ready for 10 years if they are convicted.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think there has been quite a lot of press on the case and hopefully the British Embassy is letting it be known they are watching.
The US embassy leaned a lot on the Dominican system when Brent Lewis's killers went on trial.

But one of them was an American slug who got the full dose of 3 yrs, but they did cut the main Dominicana planner and a crooked Dominican lawyer who forged property transfer breaks on reduced sentences.
Don't expect a 30-year sentence for Lyndsay's killers - be ready for 10 years if they are convicted.
The good news is 10 years in a hell hole prison here would be harder than a lifetime in a Canadian prison.
I'm hoping for a minimum 25 to life but a solid 10 years here might have to do.

Aug 21, 2007
For anyone who goes, please be careful. I know how things work here and people politically connected also have ways of handling those who get in their way. I also know how things work after someone ends up in prison, although in the US, not here. My cousin was in a maximum security federal prison. Corrupt powers control everything. I imagine here, even moreso.

Perhaps those of you who do not live here full time have no worries. But I need to work and function in this corrupt society where politics and politicians have all the power, and I must look out for my own back.

I pray, by God's grace, that justice is served. I understand that those in support can help the outcome. But I also know that those in support can also become victims.

So sorry to have to post this, and Mods, if you think this is not appropriate, please delete. It breaks my heart to have to tell my truth.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
For anyone who goes, please be careful. I know how things work here and people politically connected also have ways of handling those who get in their way. I also know how things work after someone ends up in prison, although in the US, not here. My cousin was in a maximum security federal prison. Corrupt powers control everything. I imagine here, even moreso.

Perhaps those of you who do not live here full time have no worries. But I need to work and function in this corrupt society where politics and politicians have all the power, and I must look out for my own back.

I pray, by God's grace, that justice is served. I understand that those in support can help the outcome. But I also know that those in support can also become victims.

So sorry to have to post this, and Mods, if you think this is not appropriate, please delete. It breaks my heart to have to tell my truth.

With respect Lindsey, I think that if Danilo Feliz really did have any political connections, he would have a) been chosen to stand as candidate for a mainstream political party when he attempted to run for election and b) not been left in prison on preventiva for over 2 years awaiting trial. Sure he will fill the courtroom with people saying he is a nice guy and couldn't possibly have done this, but I would say with some degree of certainty that these will not be high-rollers.

Aug 21, 2007
With respect Lindsey, I think that if Danilo Feliz really did have any political connections, he would have a) been chosen to stand as candidate for a mainstream political party when he attempted to run for election and b) not been left in prison on preventiva for over 2 years awaiting trial. Sure he will fill the courtroom with people saying he is a nice guy and couldn't possibly have done this, but I would say with some degree of certainty that these will not be high-rollers.

Ok, good enough. Perhaps you are correct. And I hope you are correct. And I pray you are correct. I wish I did not feel the need to post my concerns and perhaps because of my personal experiences I am overly sensitive. But sadly, as much as I loved and respected Lindsay and hope she receives justice and peace, I feel that I cannot take the risk and go to the trial. Am feeling a little guilty - but must deal with my reality.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Ok, good enough. Perhaps you are correct. And I hope you are correct. And I pray you are correct. I wish I did not feel the need to post my concerns and perhaps because of my personal experiences I am overly sensitive. But sadly, as much as I loved and respected Lindsay and hope she receives justice and peace, I feel that I cannot take the risk and go to the trial. Am feeling a little guilty - but must deal with my reality.

I completely get your concern, I just think that Danilo Feliz has spent his life trying to make everyone think he rolls with the big people, and the reality is that he doesn't and never did IMO. Pretty much every penny the guy had came out of Lindsay's purse.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its not a good sign to anyone looking for justice.

Lets save the character witnessed for after the guilty verdict is how its done in US courts.

When its a gringo victim who cannot tell her side versus Dominicans it is an uphill battle from the get go.
Hope it turns out better than it appears.

A gringo who received justice in the Dominican system is like a chicken with teeth.
This case is especially egregious so lets hope.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Is anyone else definitely able to go? Surely there must be more than 2 people from our community? So many people read her blogs and her books, it would be tragic if only two managed to turn up to support her when she needs most support.

bellakins

May 31, 2008
I will be returning to the DR on February 12, staying in Cabarete. I want to attend the trial on February 16
Lindsay was an acquaintance of mine when she lived in Juan Dolio.
i would like share transportation costs with someone who will be driving from Cabarete.
Please PM me

Matilda's Mother

May 10, 2008
the family of Lindsay would like to thank everyone for their support over these last two long years.
it is very heartening to see that some people are planning to go to the trial. She needs your support but please be careful,
Some close friends of Lindsay’s here in UK unable to come to the DR want to send a video in support of her instead.
She is always in my thoughts I cannot believe it is over two years since we last spoke and there are still times when I think I must talk to Lindsay about this.
To everyone who is supporting her. Thank you
Lindsay’s mum. (Matilda’s Mother on DR1)

Status
Not open for further replies.