Trial for Murder of Lindsay de Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Ok, good enough. Perhaps you are correct. And I hope you are correct. And I pray you are correct. I wish I did not feel the need to post my concerns and perhaps because of my personal experiences I am overly sensitive. But sadly, as much as I loved and respected Lindsay and hope she receives justice and peace, I feel that I cannot take the risk and go to the trial. Am feeling a little guilty - but must deal with my reality.
Lindsey, I am having such mixed feeings. As you know, Lindsay was one of my dearest and longest friends in the DR. I would love to go and support her. My fear is twofold. One is the pandemic - not been in public transportation or closed buildings for 2+ years, but more importantly, they know where I live. I have a framed picture of Lindsay on my dresser and spoke to her several times about this. She does not want me to put myself in harm's way and I think anyone else who has mixed feelings about it, she'd say the same thing. And I don't want to put myself in harm's way so I have made a final choice to not go.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think its also sad how some of her friends wont stand up for her when its needed

Be fair. People who knew Lindsay personally also knew her husband, and sometimes also her stepsons. These are the people who are going to be on trial. So anyone who comes to the courtroom to support her could well be recognised by the people in the dock, who we are all presuming are capable of murder. And they may walk free. Join the dots. I completely get why her closest friends may be scared to attend.

I think the people who should consider going are those who didn't know her personally - maybe just knew her through her books or her blog or had an online connection with her. In this case we kind of need "rent a crowd"

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Be fair. People who knew Lindsay personally also knew her husband, and sometimes also her stepsons. These are the people who are going to be on trial. So anyone who comes to the courtroom to support her could well be recognised by the people in the dock, who we are all presuming are capable of murder. And they may walk free. Join the dots. I completely get why her closest friends may be scared to attend.

I think the people who should consider going are those who didn't know her personally - maybe just knew her through her books or her blog or had an online connection with her. In this case we kind of need "rent a crowd"
It's a time to respect people's choices and not be taking their inventory.

Reactions: It wasn't me

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I think its also sad how some of her friends wont stand up for her when its needed
I think it's sad that here was this highly visible woman with so many wonderful friends who loved her....yet she evidently had numerous attempts on her life until this scum finally killed her....yet there wasn't many many interventions by her friends to save here and get here to understand that she wasn't in a 'loving relationship' but was involved with a dangerous scumbag.

Reactions: sylviamcginnis

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think it's sad that here was this highly visible woman with so many wonderful friends who loved her....yet she evidently had numerous attempts on her life until this scum finally killed her....yet there wasn't many many interventions by her friends to save here and get here to understand that she wasn't in a 'loving relationship' but was involved with a dangerous scumbag.
This ^^^ has nothing to do with the trial.

I realize emotions run high over this, but rehashing what happened before is not the subject of this thread

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
i am in the USA and cannot be in the DR untill April ......if i was i would not let covid or a bunch of scum deter me
i have seen some people mention they would like to attend ...but the cost of travelling is prohibitive .....i will gladly donate to a fund to help cover travelling expenses

Reactions: kanson and malko

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I looked back in my emails and found two from Lindsay - one in which she was discussing rebuilding a house for a Haitian guardian who had lost his own in the earthquake in PauP and another enquiring about the well being of someone who had been on this forum and dropped out...

I would bet that many others have correspondence from her that would show the depth of generosity---

Do others think that such emails would be useful as "character" witnesses? Is there someone who would collect them?

Reactions: Auryn and Drro

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I realize emotions run high over this, but rehashing what happened before is not the subject of this thread

I did ask before whether it would be possible to have a thread which is only for people who genuinely knew her, and would only be visible by them? I just think this would help her close friends discuss things more freely and try to clear up some of the questions they still have and get some closure.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I did ask before whether it would be possible to have a thread which is only for people who genuinely knew her, and would only be visible by them? I just think this would help her close friends discuss things more freely and try to clear up some of the questions they still have and get some closure.
And who is going to determine who actually was a close friend? I can count on one hand the people here on DR1 who I know were her close friends. You denied being who I thought you were. Few here use real names, so that’s not going to happen.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Over the years, she helped me obtain a DR record check and answered various other questions about aspects of living there from my work visa to her recommended hotels. I read her blog, and whenever she posted here, I respected her opinion a lot. I believe she began (or at least moderates) the Ladies Only Forum.

I am one of thousands. I’d assume that those who knew her on a more personal basis also know each other? If not, then I’m not sure how the mods could police it to keep the riff raff out.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I do not see where that would service any purpose. Outside of this forum there are discussions privately and that is where they should stay, private. I do not believe her "close friends" would ever want to discuss/question anything about this on a forum.

Howeller63

Jun 17, 2017
As I understand it, they’re not looking for absentee witness statements, they want physical attendance.
Of course they do yet a huge percentage are in and out of the DR that would love to attend but can't. Add covid to that and location of trial. If these goofs get off due to that it will be an incredible injustice and corruption flag.

Jan 9, 2004
In reality, those who are/were friends that attend are probably doing more for their own emotional support, rather than being able to have any influence on the fairness/justice..............and that is ok............and to be commended.

Having done a fair amount of bench/jury trials in my career.......................the press is some of your best insurance that the scales of justice maintain their balance.

As former Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis noted in an article on publicity.................."Sunlight is the best disinfectant."

Any campaign seeking justice in countries with weak judicial systems........................needs as much sunlight as can be had.

Those who really want to help need to contact the press both national and international. Their presence perhaps cannot insure a specific outcome, but they can help keep the scales of justice balanced.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
In reality, those who are/were friends that attend are probably doing more for their own emotional support, rather than being able to have any influence on the fairness/justice..............and that is ok............and to be commended.

Having done a fair amount of bench/jury trials in my career.......................the press is some of your best insurance that the scales of justice maintain their balance.

As former Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis noted in an article on publicity.................."Sunlight is the best disinfectant."

Any campaign seeking justice in countries with weak judicial systems........................needs as much sunlight as can be had.

Those who really want to help need to contact the press both national and international. Their presence perhaps cannot insure a specific outcome, but they can help keep the scales of justice balanced.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I agree 100%. This case was widely reported when Lindsay was first murdered. People need to be contacting the journalists who originally reported on the case and make them aware that the trial is coming up.

Luvlee

Dec 5, 2006
I agree 100%. This case was widely reported when Lindsay was first murdered. People need to be contacting the journalists who originally reported on the case and make them aware that the trial is coming up.
The Daily Mail has like a "send us information" Email adress..a lot of us
should write them

Status
Not open for further replies.