Trial for Murder of Lindsay de Feliz

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Isn't that the way it goes in all courtrooms, mas O meno? When defense lawyers suspect the jurors were unduly influenced...don't they call for a mistrial? However, when it comes time for sentencing, there lies the opportunity for s stiffer punishment. I think? We'll see.
There are no jurors in DR courtrooms, so no it is not the same in all courtrooms.
No way to have a mistrial because of a juror being influenced in the DR. Not at all the same.

Here, only the Judge makes those decisions on the sentence and the penalty. If the judge can be influenced by information
not presented at the trail pertinent to the case, such as what is printed in the news, on the radio, TV, the Internet, etc as some suggest,
then there is something wrong with the system.

I defer to those who know more about such potential influences of hearsay, but I would hope they do not exist, since only what is presented within the courtroom
should be used by the Judge to make his decisions.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think it will be very interesting to hear what their defence is. There is so much evidence which suggests that they did it, even with Dominican justice I can't see it would be an easy case to defend.

Of course they could claim that one of them was guilty and the other three weren't. That would be the most likely defence to get some of them released in my opinion.

Reactions: Howeller63

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
When is the next stage of the`Trial .........i will be in Santo Domingo for 3 weeks and should be able to take a drive`to Santiago

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
March 31st. But it’s Santiago Rodriguez, northwest DR.
The violence against women is a hot topic in the DR right now. There are plenty of organizations who have a voice in this country. Perphaps it would be worth reaching out to a few of them in order to make sure this trial receives as much attention as it deserves.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The violence against women is a hot topic in the DR right now. There are plenty of organizations who have a voice in this country. Perphaps it would be worth reaching out to a few of them in order to make sure this trial receives as much attention as it deserves.
Excellent idea. Does anyone know their organization names? Website? Contact?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Excellent idea. Does anyone know their organization names? Website? Contact?
I just googled and selected the first option that appeared. Hope this helps. Try this one.

National Directory of institutions working for the eradication of violence against women

Av. Juan Pablo Duarte #86, Santiago City Hall Building – Santiago de los Caballeros – Santiago Province
Phone 809-724-0684-809-724-2623
opmsantiago@gmail.com

Howeller63

Jun 17, 2017
@MariaRubia did trial start on March 16th finally? Any new information yet?
Oh my error it's 31st and fingers crossed justice is done. Some important witnesses gone but hope they have lots of evidence. It would be crazy to be let off noting past attempts now on her life making more sense.

Howeller63

Jun 17, 2017
I think it will be very interesting to hear what their defence is. There is so much evidence which suggests that they did it, even with Dominican justice I can't see it would be an easy case to defend.

Of course they could claim that one of them was guilty and the other three weren't. That would be the most likely defence to get some of them released in my opinion.
OMG wish I could be a fly on the wall!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com

I was under the impression and I can’t remember the source that Danilo withdrew money from a cash machine in the capital that day which I presumed was his attempt at an alibi. He would have no problem giving his sons and his “duende” (as lindsay called him) to do the dirty work and throw them under the bus if needed. Unfortunately the sons are extremely thick and fiercely loyal so in that scenario they wouldn’t give their dad up. He would have said don’t worry as long as I’m in the outside you will get well looked after.

As I say I can’t remember how true the cash withdrawal thing is, but even as dumb as he is I am convinced that’s the story they will go for. I’m favor i am surprised everyone but Danilo hasn’t pleaded guilty.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
He withdrew money from her account that's for sure, and I believe he also had Lindsay's cellphone when he was arrested. Both were reported by the police at the time. There are a number of other facts which link him to the murder but IMO it's probably better at this stage to wait and hear the full story from the prosecution, the case will be heard in court later this week.

Reactions: Jumbo

Matilda's Mother

May 10, 2008
No words can really express what the last few years have been like since December 10th 2019 but on behalf of all Lindsay’s family I would like to thank everyone who has helped and supported us through the past two years. i still find it hard to believe that I will never speak to her on Skype again, something I used to do every day.
she is missed in so many ways. She had so many friends in DR, here in UK and all over the world who I am sure, like me, are hoping we are nearing the end of this uncertainty. She helped so many people memories of her will live for a long time. Thank you again to you all.
Lindsay’s mother

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Apparently there were important witnesses missing on both defense and prosecution sides, and the trial has been postponed once again. It will begin on May 9th.

The good news is that the judge is taking this trial very seriously, as is the fiscal. And, of course, the 4 defendants will remain locked up until trial.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Apparently there were important witnesses missing on both defense and prosecution sides, and the trial has been postponed once again. It will begin on May 9th.

The good news is that the judge is taking this trial very seriously, as is the fiscal. And, of course, the 4 defendants will remain locked up until trial.

It’s an absolute joke isn’t it, I feel so awful for a Lindsay’s family 😔

• Sad
Reactions: tink23 and AlterEgo

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011

Another delay...at least the 4 remain locked up.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
Am I the only one to get shivers when reading that “important witnesses were missing” .. as in what kind of missing? Just did not show up? Or disappeared? Or made to disappear?

Status
Not open for further replies.