tricom cable tv/internet/phone special

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, I got my cable/internet installed yesterday. I was keep delaying them because my apartment was still not ready to have people show up and wire the place as I didn't know where TV or other electronic equipment would be placed.
Seems like tricom really has upgraded their internet/cable infrastructure in the major cities of DR. The service was quick but they sent 2 idiots (contractors) to do the installation. They used a black coaxial cable running down from window to the white ........
AZB

Glad to hear they got that sorted out for you AZB. I am wondering if the same can be said for internet + HDTV in Santiago.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
AZB, lets hope you feel like this in a month or so. I agree, Claro IP TV sucks and is not true HD. The 2-3 installs I have seen have a very pixilated picture.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i am only interested in HD channels so I am satisfied with the quality I am receiving with tricom. The HD channels come in sharp with fine details. I still think american 1080p is better but I am satisfied with what I am getting here. I get 39 HD channels and I have not subscribed to any movie channels as I plan on downloading movies on my own.
Cons for gringos:
I didn't even realize it but most channels are in spanish. I guess I understand spanish so well, I didn't even notice it. On some programs, the original english audio is broadcasted in as SAP audio. so you must choose it to hear the language in english. seems like spanish language (or dubbing) is chosen as default on the cable box. I was able to change the audio to english on a spanish dubbed movie. The menu in cable box is set to spanish as well. I have not played with the cable box enough to know if the language can be set to default english on everything. I will play with it later.
Another con on the motorola speedsurf cable modem. seems like there are no user customization allowed. You get wpa security with a long and difficult string of wifi password which cannot be changed. I am surprised the user is not allowed to set his / her own wifi code. I will look more into it to see what is the problem.
AZB

Sep 4, 2012
I have not played with the cable box enough to know if the language can be set to default english on everything. I will play with it later.AZB

You can change the defaults to English for both; sounds and text.

Another con on the motorola speedsurf cable modem. seems like there are no user customization allowed. You get wpa security with a long and difficult string of wifi password which cannot be changed. I am surprised the user is not allowed to set his / her own wifi code. I will look more into it to see what is the problem.
AZB

The way to correct it is to hook your own router to the original router issued by TC; now you can change any settings you wish and the connection is much safer. That's how I have mine connected.

TRICOM Router>>>>>>>>>>MY Router>>>>>>>>Local Network with my own settings and WI-FI Keys>>>>>>MY devices.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The way to correct it is to hook your own router to the original router issued by TC; now you can change any settings you wish and the connection is much safer. That's how I have mine connected.

TRICOM Router>>>>>>>>>>MY Router>>>>>>>>Local Network with my own settings and WI-FI Keys>>>>>>MY devices.
Not a good idea. After looking into the matter a bit deeper, I was able to find the configuration menu of my custom SSID and wifi code.
type on browser: 192.168.100.1
login name: admin
password: motorola
click on to Wireless ----- advanced----primary networks---- now change to whatever you want. I changed my SSID to AZB Home (instead of motorola blah blah blah). I used WPA security and made up my own password that no one can guess. I see there are iphone apps that can crack or seek out the factory wifi passwords many famous name-brand unit come with as default wifi code setting. If you change the default factory password that came with the router, then the wifi cracking app is defeated.
Your method of connecting a router on top of another router is unnecessary and inefficient. Try it the way I told you and you will be fine.
AZB

Sep 4, 2012
Not a good idea. After looking into the matter a bit deeper, I was able to find the configuration menu of my custom SSID and wifi code.
type on browser: 192.168.100.1
login name: admin
password: motorola
click on to Wireless ----- advanced----primary networks---- now change to whatever you want. I changed my SSID to AZB Home (instead of motorola blah blah blah). I used WPA security and made up my own password that no one can guess. I see there are iphone apps that can crack or seek out the factory wifi passwords many famous name-brand unit come with as default wifi code setting. If you change the default factory password that came with the router, then the wifi cracking app is defeated.
Your method of connecting a router on top of another router is unnecessary and inefficient. Try it the way I told you and you will be fine.
AZB

Thanks for posting the info, however with my set up I have:

2 hardware firewalls.
2 WPA keys instead of only one to be sniffed.
My own network; if someone else's is sharing your network they can see your files (unless you protect them), with my set up only I can see my files, although the network is shared with some others in the household.

As far as inefficiency....well, I do get the same perks as if I were hooked straight to the Tricom issued router.

In an essence, my connected router is hooked up as a repeater/bridge and much safer.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

2 hardware firewalls.
My own network; if someone else's is sharing your network they can see your files (unless you protect them), with my set up only I can see my files, although the network is shared with some others in the household.

As far as inefficiency....well, I do get the same perks as if I were hooked straight to the Tricom issued router.

In an essence, my connected router is hooked up as a repeater/bridge and much safer.

I still see no advantage. you can do all that with tricom router too without the need to have another router installed as repeater. I think you will add time to ping and maybe your download/upload speed can be affected. You can still setup your own private network and no one can see your files if you are not sharing them.
There are several setting to choose from which will provide you will complete safety and privacy. I choose wpa and set up my own wifi password that no one can crack.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

2 hardware firewalls.

I'm guessing you have the top secret launch codes if you're going that far to protect your files :)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
AZB, I had Tricom in my apartment, it sucked! Could have been my sector and bad wiring, could have been their crappy backend infrastructure, who's knows. Bottom line, I would never use them again.

Same deal here. Horrible service in Las Praderas... internet would be fine for 3 days and then no service for 2 days. Speeds were crap and very inconsistent. Went like that for a couple years and finally gave up and went with Aster.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Same deal here. Horrible service in Las Praderas... internet would be fine for 3 days and then no service for 2 days. Speeds were crap and very inconsistent. Went like that for a couple years and finally gave up and went with Aster.

Where is Las Praderas? SD? Santiago? Also, how are your speeds with Aster? Any downtime?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Where is Las Praderas? SD? Santiago? Also, how are your speeds with Aster? Any downtime?

Santo Domingo west. Aster has been great. Speeds are consistent and downtime in the past 6 months has been maybe 1 evening without service, for a couple hours, which is more than excellent for a DR internet service.

I only have the 1.5mbit plan but speeds are always at full bandwidth. No overselling bandwidth like Tricom and Claro were back in the day (not sure if they still oversell their bandwidth since I havent used them in years).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i get 3.8 mb download solid and no disconnections in el portal. the cable Tv is just awesome. I am satisfied with tricom so far.
I hope it stays this good forever.
AZB

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
i get 3.8 mb download solid and no disconnections in el portal. the cable Tv is just awesome. I am satisfied with tricom so far.
I hope it stays this good forever.
AZB

AZB,

I'm glad after the install issues you are getting the same quality of service as I receive. Unlike your install my building/apt is presetup with coax so no mess with that.

On the internet speed, remember that whatever speed advertised as your plan, there is some overhead included. Its more noticeable with adsl due to PPPOE used. Tricom increased there sync rate on the 1.5mbit plan to 1.6mbit to offset it some, FYI. So the 3.8mbit tested (real) you are receiving for a 4mbit connection is pretty good.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I went to Tricom in Santiago and they told me that they do not do cable TV :-(

SHALENA