Trip to the Dominican Republic turns into a vacation from hell: ‘We’ve lost everything’

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
vacation from hell? not sure about the vacation part.....lost everthing sounds right...after all they lose all their weed.......

• Haha
Reactions: Sailor51

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
they got caught and tried to take control of the scene. The P.D tow truck driver changed their tune when he displayed his gun. The family portrays them as innocent educated college bound kids, yet they are talking street slang and are clearly not educated.
I've seen way to many people try that routine. Just because they're in another country they think they can get away with most anything. Gives the locals a very bad impression.

Reactions: jd426

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I've seen way to many people try that routine. Just because they're in another country they think they can get away with most anything. Gives the locals a very bad impression.
agree! some of these pinheads come here from wherever and embarrass themselves. Pretty much anything goes but when the Police tell you to move on or pay a few pesos its best to just say "Yes Sir" and leave. These drug mules embarrassed themselves and their families

Aug 21, 2007
For those that weren't around in 2007, here's another Maryjuana Mystery. It was a good one. I don't want to give it away, you've got to read the whole thing. https://dr1.com/forums/threads/corruption.58260/

Thanks for posting this. Great read. A few reflections....

1. I MISS those dr1'ers no longer with us! What a great group! We were much more cohesive in back then.

2. We bickered back in those days, but disagreement was so must more civilized that it is on the board today, in my opinion. Don't know if it is the change of the times or the people posting or just coincidence.

3. Seeing and hearing someone in person can give us so much more information than what we receive here. Making judgements based on what is written here often makes faulty reasoning based on incomplete or unfactual information.

4. For the record - I have no idea whether the original story is true or not. However, I do not post false information under any circumstances. I have seen Haitians being beat up by police many times since first moving here 16 years ago. For any of you who want to disclaim my words, that is okay with me.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Do you recall the guy who killed the Girl in Sosua,( allegedly) .. and dumped her body in the Woods in Cabarete . not sure if his Trial came up yet

But anyway, when they were arresting him. Or moving him he kept yelling out “ AMERICAN GI, American ARMY” … like the USA Armed Forces were going to come riding in to Rescue his dumb Arse ..

Pathetic , desperate … imho , just another indicator of Guilt ..

He was Nigerian /American I think so he was also trying to play that angle of a Man of Color being persecuted by the Corrupt Racist Dominican Police ( Sarcasm) ..

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Do you recall the guy who killed the Girl in Sosua,( allegedly) .. and dumped her body in the Woods in Cabarete . not sure if his Trial came up yet

But anyway, when they were arresting him. Or moving him he kept yelling out “ AMERICAN GI, American ARMY” … like the USA Armed Forces were going to come riding in to Rescue his dumb Arse ..

Pathetic , desperate … imho , just another indicator of Guilt ..

He was Nigerian /American I think so he was also trying to play that angle of a Man of Color being persecuted by the Corrupt Racist Dominican Police ( Sarcasm) ..
I started a thread about the POS last year. I knew Yonay in passing and know her Aunt from living in Charamicos.
His Nigerian ass received a 20 year sentence earlier this year. Good riddance.

As far as Haitians being mistreated by the PN simply because they are Haitian, it happens but people also need to understand
when it comes to the PN, they mistreat their fellow Dominicans, Americans, Canadians, Europeans, Venezuelans, Cubans and other
foreigners as well so stop trying to make it sound like the Haitians are somehow special, they're not.

With that said, I have met "minorities" traveling down to the DR with the sole purpose being to make a "connection" (sorry bro, can't help ya)
and some foreigners are willing to shoulder the risk involved with attempting such a bone head move, however if these two were down here on
a vacation for 8 days I would really have a tough time understanding a few things which have been suggested in some of the previous posts.

1. Buying and selling that amount of marijuana as foreigners without permission from the local boss of the closet punto, in order
to resell it to someone living in or around that area, would be a very bad idea and being arrested by the PN would be the least of
their concerns.

2. It would be super easy to pay a local to transport it without having to get your hands dirty while moving it from point A to point B.

3. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say trying to smuggle 4 pounds of marijuana out of the county on a return flight back to the
US would be an absolute suicide mission and these 2 guys know it. Heck, trying to smuggle 4 ounces would garner the same results.

4. No one is going to smoke 4 pounds of pot on an 8 day vacation.

5. Although they should definitely tone down the rhetoric, it doesn't necessarily mean they are guilty.

I am not in any way trying to suggest if they are guilty that they shouldn't be punished according to Dominican law. Black, white, brown,
yellow, pink or pock-a-dotted, no one should be above the law. I do think the possibility of the agency who rented the car being involved
is something that deserves further scrutiny as I know someone who worked in the rental car industry for 20+ years in the US and he was
approached with an "opportunity" to make some extra cash on more than one occasion during his 20 year career which he politely declined
to take part in.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Not only that, but every year there are multiple accusations of the police or drug enforcer putting drugs on innocent people, but these are Dominicans. It makes sense DR1ers don't even mention this, perhaps are not aware.

This is a typical case. Here a mother claiming drugs were placed on his son to arrest him and take him to the police station. Of course, 99.9% of the people claiming this predicament are Dominicans year in, year out. Nothing relevant on DR1. :unsure:

As always, Americans using the Haitian nationality topic to make sense of something that has nothing to do with being Haitian. It is mostly Americans that do this and I have yet to figure out why.
I agree. This has nothing to do with them being Haitians, as this happens to locals too.

Reactions: Africaida

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
" 4. No one is going to smoke 4 pounds of pot on an 8 day vacation."

Lets be real a moment CR

Their REAL crime , is being complete dumb asses, in a Country where they are Guests, not VIP’s , like these ballers like to pretend they are… I DO in fact think they were going to SHOW off with this Weed, and maybe even make a VIDEO about it … “ Look how we living LARGE, in the DR” ,, they could not afford a Kilo of Coke , so a Kilo of WEED was the next best thing ..

That’s my theory on this … I don’t think they were going to distribute it .. but they could have been the MULES for the Dudes who were making the VILLA party .. something along those lines

And they are angry because they got themselves Jammed up over some worthless Weed .. That is as stupid as it gets .

That is probably the real reason why some people are defending them too.. .

Reactions: Naked_Snake

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I would not go so far as defending as I will saying it is not impossible that these types of things happen.

nortenomore

Jul 26, 2019
"Yes, we will plant weed in their rental car."

"Okay, I will put some joints near the transmission, hand me the duct tape."

"Idiot, no! These are very famous rap artists I think. Hand me that four pound brick of weed there."

$5 says that one of their old Haitian friends or relatives was involved and they got caught up in it. Their best move is just come clean (to a lawyer) about what went down and shut up. These clowns now have three different countries involved in their drool cup antics with the usual hand-wringer, pearl-clutching types on the sidelines trying to 'save them.'

The Saint Floyd routine isn't going to fly down here.

Reactions: Big and jd426

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
agree! some of these pinheads come here from wherever and embarrass themselves. Pretty much anything goes but when the Police tell you to move on or pay a few pesos its best to just say "Yes Sir" and leave. These drug mules embarrassed themselves and their families
That's why I try to go native wherever I happen to be. Pretty hard in Mexico as I'm to tall.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
For those that weren't around in 2007, here's another Maryjuana Mystery. It was a good one. I don't want to give it away, you've got to read the whole thing. https://dr1.com/forums/threads/corruption.58260/
Read it and a few responses. What an ordeal.
While in Lucaya I was trying to locate a post office. Approached by a man telling me "I know what you want.."
No, I want to find a post office. Close survailance of the surroundings and I got the heck away.
Also approached to see if I could take a few 'friends' back to the US.
Wasn't headed that way so nope, but thanks for the beer.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Reading that, and seeing so many DR1ers who have died or moved on was eye-opening. 😢
I was going to say that too. Same when I am closing the old posts from 10-12 years ago.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"Yes, we will plant weed in their rental car."

"Okay, I will put some joints near the transmission, hand me the duct tape."

"Idiot, no! These are very famous rap artists I think. Hand me that four pound brick of weed there."

$5 says that one of their old Haitian friends or relatives was involved and they got caught up in it. Their best move is just come clean (to a lawyer) about what went down and shut up. These clowns now have three different countries involved in their drool cup antics with the usual hand-wringer, pearl-clutching types on the sidelines trying to 'save them.'

The Saint Floyd routine isn't going to fly down here.
All I'm saying is if this rental is a one-way to a specific destination, it's a very real possibility.
As far as Saint Floyd is concerned....
may he rot in peace.

jose949

Oct 29, 2016
It also begs the question how can a marijuana package appear near the transmission?

The only other possibility is that it was there since before they rented the car, perhaps placed there by the previous renter and for whatever reason "forgot it" before returning the car to the rental place.

Another reason to inspect a car from top to bottom before you rent it.
Yes, it looks to have been an extortion scheme and one of the boys did say in the impromptu video, that it was a good thing that the road assistance police had been under the vehicle before it was towed. It is a strange case by all means. That is not to say that people don't smuggle guns, drugs and other contraband in vehicles. It's that the video and the conduct of the mechanic cast enough doubt that they didn't do it.

As you say, inspect as much as you can, but remember something could be hidden in partitions and you'd have to tear out seats and parts to get to it. US police stops of rental/out of state vehicles on known drug corridors can go that far if a K9 has a false positive. The best bet, don't go cheap, it could cost you a lot more, rent from a reliable and reputable firm or better don't drive yourself. It has been a very costly affair for them.
Sounds like the message is in fact loud and clear. If you're involved with drugs you are going to be locked up. All the songs and dance's that are done in the U.S don't go over so we'll here. The tired old "it was planted on me" claim is used by every low life dealer and mule.
It's not a tired reason in the eyes of the law based on the evidence. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Clearly the prosecution is unable to sustain the case

3. Seeing and hearing someone in person can give us so much more information than what we receive here. Making judgements based on what is written here often makes faulty reasoning based on incomplete or unfactual information.
The video showed what happened but it was ignored by some

Their best move is just come clean (to a lawyer) about what went down and shut up
The did that and are headed home sooner or later on a not guilty basis

July 8, 2021 by Vivy Ray, Organizer
ALMOST HOME! John & his brothers are free to travel -- BUT they must attend a hearing to close the case. (Details below.)

Miami Herald reporter Jacqueline Charles perseverance paid off: last Thursday the prosecutor suddenly returned the boys' passports and cellphones. So no hearing on Monday--instead, on Tuesday the boys' lawyer presented the 2 cellphones with exonerating video to the judge and requested an emergency hearing to drop all charges/close the case.

The lawyer informed the boys that they are now free to travel, but if they leave they must return for the final hearing. They are now waiting to learn the date for that hearing. Hoping it can be very soon so they will be done—and avoid the financial/emotional burden of a return trip to the DR.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I'm sure the Miami Herald will call the two US Haitians involved in Jovenel Moïse's assassination "Your Average American Tourists".

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Yes, it looks to have been an extortion scheme and one of the boys did say in the impromptu video, that it was a good thing that the road assistance police had been under the vehicle before it was towed. It is a strange case by all means. That is not to say that people don't smuggle guns, drugs and other contraband in vehicles. It's that the video and the conduct of the mechanic cast enough doubt that they didn't do it.

As you say, inspect as much as you can, but remember something could be hidden in partitions and you'd have to tear out seats and parts to get to it. US police stops of rental/out of state vehicles on known drug corridors can go that far if a K9 has a false positive. The best bet, don't go cheap, it could cost you a lot more, rent from a reliable and reputable firm or better don't drive yourself. It has been a very costly affair for them.

It's not a tired reason in the eyes of the law based on the evidence. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Clearly the prosecution is unable to sustain the case

The video showed what happened but it was ignored by some

The did that and are headed home sooner or later on a not guilty basis

July 8, 2021 by Vivy Ray, Organizer
ALMOST HOME! John & his brothers are free to travel -- BUT they must attend a hearing to close the case. (Details below.)

Miami Herald reporter Jacqueline Charles perseverance paid off: last Thursday the prosecutor suddenly returned the boys' passports and cellphones. So no hearing on Monday--instead, on Tuesday the boys' lawyer presented the 2 cellphones with exonerating video to the judge and requested an emergency hearing to drop all charges/close the case.

The lawyer informed the boys that they are now free to travel, but if they leave they must return for the final hearing. They are now waiting to learn the date for that hearing. Hoping it can be very soon so they will be done—and avoid the financial/emotional burden of a return trip to the DR.