Trouble at Perla Marina

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The entire country of Bermuda is serviced by roof water collection. Tho by now I expect they might also have desalinization plants. However, the roofs are painted with a special non-toxic paint and there are very strict laws on how you must maintain your roof.
Much of the USVI is the same way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That 'little rain' added 2" of water height to my pool and that calculates to 250 gallons based on the surface area of my pool and so I am certain most houses have larger surface area than my pool which is 10' x 20'. The pool deck slopes away from the pool so it is direct rain only
Say your house is a one story and 1,200 square feet.
This little rain would have produced (1200/200) x 250 = 1,500 gallons. Not bad for a 45 minute rain if you could capture it all.
Much less rain has fallen on my property. Much less. But yes, some people might consider rain water capture.
But I doubt it will be many. The many thousands in La Cienaga, certainly won't be doing that.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Much less rain has fallen on my property. Much less. But yes, some people might consider rain water capture.
But I doubt it will be many. The many thousands in La Cienaga, certainly won't be doing that.
I see quite a bit of it. My neighbor does it. If you had a metal roof it would certainly be a fast source of run off.
And yes you need gutters and a filter to keep out leaves and a sand trap and also periodically Chlorinate your cistern

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I see quite a bit of it. My neighbor does it. If you had a metal roof it would certainly be a fast source of run off.
And yes you need gutters and a filter to keep out leaves and a sand trap and also periodically Chlorinate your cistern
Who doesn't like the sound of rain on a tin roof?

• Haha
Reactions: drstock

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can certainly see some doing it. Just not me or the thousands in La Cienaga, Barrio Blanco, Callejon de la Loma, Charamicos, etc.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
More Trouble in Perla Marina
From the HOA Board !

UPDATE: representatives of the 'residential subdivision' within perla named in the post have objected to their name being revealed in the notification regarding recent robberies within a section of perla marina - they first asserted it was not true - and when we provided names of those impacted who has informed us of the robberies, they then asserted as there were no police reports filed there is no evidence and demanded the post be removed.
We have no reason to doubt the reports and in one instance were asked to provide security camera footage
However, as clearly not everyone believes in transparency, the article has been ammended to focus on the specific issue of what happens when security is reduced.
To all perla residents
As you may well have heard via other sources, there have been reports of several robberies recently in a 'perla marina residential sub division'
whilst the 'perla marina residential subdivision' has its own security located at the entrance and exit to their area within perla, it hopefully serves as a reminder what can happen when security is reduced or limited to certain times of the day
for the first time this month since the new perla marina hoa board took over responsibility we sadly came close to a break even with the finances
we have restructured the garden maintenance to make cost savings but if the current trend continues we will likely need to look at reducing security and/or lighting repairs to avoid the hoa going into debt - which is a situation the current board will not allow to happen again.
if members can make sure their hoa fees due are up to date such changes can hopefully be avoided
we will of course inform you if further cuts are necessary
kind regards
perla marina hoa board

+++++++++++++++++
Seems to be trouble brewing!!!

Olly and the Team.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Let me see if I got this straight ................

#1. half or more of this complex residents do not have water.
#2. The HOA is operating in a deficit.
#3. Because of the HOA deficit security is being cut resulting in home burglaries.
#4. Juan Perdoma and his friends are building more units which will exacerbate the current water problem on lots half the size than originally stipulated and
that current residents invested believing in.

Do I got this right or am I misunderstanding something ?

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
Let me see if I got this straight ................

#1. half or more of this complex residents do not have water.
#2. The HOA is operating in a deficit.
#3. Because of the HOA deficit security is being cut resulting in home burglaries.
#4. Juan Perdoma and his friends are building more units which will exacerbate the current water problem on lots half the size than originally stipulated and
that current residents invested believing in.

Do I got this right or am I misunderstanding something ?
Apparently,
Not funny if one lives there.

Caveat Emptor

This illustrates the perceived safety in a gated development in the DR.
If it is well managed great!
If a property is not well managed, financially, maintained, expansion of new units, short term rentals allowed,
A big headache.
If litigation is entered into, as sure loss.
In addition high USD maintenance fees.

Of course independent ownership also has its problems.
One can not choose their neighbours in either case.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Apparently,
Not funny if one lives there.

Caveat Emptor

This illustrates the perceived safety in a gated development in the DR.
If it is well managed great!
If a property is not well managed, financially, maintained, expansion of new units, short term rentals allowed,
A big headache.
If litigation is entered into, as sure loss.
In addition high USD maintenance fees.

Of course independent ownership also has its problems.
One can not choose their neighbours in either case.

Definitely do not think it is funny at all and my heart goes out to those whom were duped.

Is it just me or does anybody else find it incredulous that the man who built and sold these properties under the guise that they will be restricted by minimal building lot sizes can not find the original plans and is profiting from their disappearance ??

Is it just me ? Am I missing something ??

Reactions: cavok and AlaninDR

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Perla Marina should be the canary in the coalmine for anyone looking to move into a neighborhood with no water.
And it should serve as a warning to have one or more unfriendly dogs on your property, because gated security just means some tigure guard is being paid to know when you leave and inform his buddies.

My recent best guard dog died. He was 14 but was 82 lbs with a big bark.

He would never hurt a soul unless they came on the property when I was gone. He knew the difference.
Hard to find dogs with such a sense of when or when not to be nasty.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Perla Marina should be the canary in the coalmine for anyone looking to move into a neighborhood with no water.
And it should serve as a warning to have one or more unfriendly dogs on your property, because gated security just means some tigure guard is being paid to know when you leave and inform his buddies.

My recent best guard dog died. He was 14 but was 82 lbs with a big bark.

He would never hurt a soul unless they came on the property when I was gone. He knew the difference.
Hard to find dogs with such a sense of when or when not to be nasty.
I've always found street dogs to be some of the most fiercely protective dogs you can find.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've always found street dogs to be some of the most fiercely protective dogs you can find.
I have 4 rescues and they all are pretty fierce inside the walls, except one - but he can be forgiven because I took him him because he was run over and he was trashed pretty hard by a car (all bones in one foot broken) and he's still recovering, but he just started barking this week as people passed by in the road.
But none are big enough to pull off what my old 14 year old could because he stood waist high and that was my security.
I always think gate security are just lazy guys who could care less about protecting your property and more about they could do with it.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Definitely do not think it is funny at all and my heart goes out to those whom were duped.

Is it just me or does anybody else find it incredulous that the man who built and sold these properties under the guise that they will be restricted by minimal building lot sizes can not find the original plans and is profiting from their disappearance ??

Is it just me ? Am I missing something ??
You are right, more or less, as far as I have heard. And it seems that the local Planning Department have "lost" the original plans too.

The other problem is the number of residents who see no need to pay their home owners' fees, but are happy to benefit from living in this gated community. The loss of income has resulted in the security services that benefit payers and non - payers alike being reduced. This is a common problem in communities here where some people have no conscience about taking advantage of other residents.

Reactions: rover and AlaninDR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You need to have a strong HOA with active members. At my condo, if you don't pay your dues, a lien is filed against your unit and foreclosure proceedings started. We also have some pretty onerous late fee penalties that discourage owners from getting in arrears in the first place.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You need to have a strong HOA with active members. At my condo, if you don't pay your dues, a lien is filed against your unit and foreclosure proceedings started. We also have some pretty onerous late fee penalties that discourage owners from getting in arrears in the first place.

Nice no-nonsense approach.

Reactions: rover

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
That is ideal, but it is extremely difficult to put into practice lawfully in some cases.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
That is ideal, but it is extremely difficult to put into practice lawfully in some cases.
They'd only have to do it a couple of times before the rest of the non payers would get the message.

Reactions: cavok