Trouble at the border with Haiti

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Frontera-cierra-paso-patanas-Listin-Diario-e1603375924263.jpeg

Freight truck traffic through the border crossing point at Dajabón was affected yesterday after Haitian authorities prevented the cargo trucks’ regular passage.

As reported in Listin Diario, on Wednesday, 21 October 2020, there were several violent incidents at the border after the Haitian authorities disallowed the passage of trucks loaded with merchandise from the Dominican Republic to Haiti.

Foreign Relations Minister Roberto Alvarez and the chief of the Haitian cabinet, Jean Claude Barthelemy met with military and civilian authorities of both countries to resume talks on bilateral issues, as reported in Listin Diario. The officials discussed the need to control and improve customs agency collections’ processes, preventing the smuggling of goods and the illicit trafficking in charcoal. Matters related to the border limits between both...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
"there were several violent incidents at the border after the Haitian authorities disallowed the passage of trucks loaded with merchandise from the Dominican Republic to Haiti"

Yet ANOTHER border "incident" with Haiti.
Can anybody mention a time the violent border incidents begin with ridiculous actions and nonsense on the part of RD authorities?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Also, Haiti's probably not to happy with
the two brother's who were both sentenced
to 30 years a piece for killing those Dominican
farmers the community of Las Mercedes, Pedernales.
Too bad. Don't commit the crime if you're scared
to do the time.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
"there were several violent incidents at the border after the Haitian authorities disallowed the passage of trucks loaded with merchandise from the Dominican Republic to Haiti"

Yet ANOTHER border "incident" with Haiti.
Can anybody mention a time the violent border incidents begin with ridiculous actions and nonsense on the part of RD authorities?

I know what you mean but the events of October 1937 was not a positive development. The cycle is unlikely to change until there is more cooperation. Every world region has sad situations like this one. I recognize it is a sensitive subject that some struggle to view objectively because of competing propaganda.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I know what you mean but the events of October 1937 was not a positive development. The cycle is unlikely to change until there is more cooperation. Every world region has sad situations like this one. I recognize it is a sensitive subject that some struggle to view objectively because of competing propaganda.

Did the Haitian authorities not allow the rightful passage of trucks (previously agreed to within bilateral trade agreements), earlier this week in response to some events back in October of 1937?

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Did the Haitian authorities not allow the rightful passage of trucks (previously agreed to within bilateral trade agreements), earlier this week in response to some events back in October of 1937?

I responded to a much broader question that included the phrase "can anyone mention a time..." My response to this new and much more focused question is that it seems likely to me that the trucking blockade contemplates at least some events that happened since 1937.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have to admit that the Haitian Immigration guys can be heavy handed. On my last trip to okap in August of 2019 (12 hours+ on Caribe Tours), we got stopped probably 45 minutes into Haiti for a full luggage inspection. It easily took an hour and a half. Total waste of time. This was after we had a full luggage inspection at the Dajabon border crossing.

It's also why I won't go back unless absolutely necessary. Caribe Tours is a great bus line but 12+ hours for a 6 hour normal ride (375 km) is absurd.

Of course we don't know the details and may never know the truth as to why they refused to allow entry to the truck.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
what a P.I.T.A. for a developing country like the D.R. to have such a downtrodden and someways despicable neighbor.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Nonsense. This tick for tack crap at the border
has been going since I moved down here in 2012.
Not surprised by some of the comments though.
Ah yes, lol, the struggle continues 😄:LOL::ROFLMAO: