Truck water vs colmado water...

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
2 drops per liter of everyday household bleach in any water will completely disinfect it and make it safe to drink. That works out to 2 milliliters per 20 liter jug. if you do this you will NEVER get sick from the water here,even tap water.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I buy Agua Crystal. Most expensive of all the bottled water brands (60-65 pesos per 5-gallon botellon, depending on the seller), but brought in from SD and one of the cleanest waters there can be. Pelicano is another good one.

Crystal belongs to Mercasid, a DR food conglomerate.
http://www.mercasid.com.do/emp_crystal.html

This is the only water we buy. Planeta Azul is another good one.

Jan 7, 2016
Our condo here only buys from Alaska and Sakura and they keep a supply for the residents to purchase on-site, so it's available 24/7 via the Security Guard. I give the guy 30 pesos to schlep the stuff from the rack to my unit. Beats lifting the stuff myself and definitely beats running to the store to buy it all the time.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not a big fan of corporate anything. I know that profits tend to trump responsible decision making sometimes. The more people who handle your bottled water before you get your hands on it the more opportunities there is for funny business. Buy direct from the company of your choice. Have their truck deliver it to you. If you need a rack to hold the bottles in your house or apt, they will give you one. If you are really concerned, visit the bottling plant and look for yourself. Find out which company supplies the largest resorts in your area and use them if you don't have your own preference.

Everyone living here should have at least a weeks worth of drinking water on hand for each person in the home all the time. If a storm blows through or there is a strike that last thing you need to worry about is water. Food, personal safety and a whole lot of other factors will come into play in such circumstances.

I have twenty bottles and the truck comes to replenish every two weeks. It's cheap, convenient, no lifting and hassle free. In times of difficulty, I may be hungry, but I have lots to drink and no you can't have any of it. Get and maintain your own supply of drinking water.

If you are experiencing stomach issues it's probably not the bottled water. Keep you mouth shut in the shower and strop eating salads in the restaurants.

You can go weeks without eating, but only three or four days without water. Less when its hot.

May 29, 2006
drink coke

I would not be surprized if within the next 20 years, more ppl die and get sick from drinking soda than contaminated water. It's certainly the case in the US. Making clean water is relatively easy... but that's another thread..

Jul 28, 2014
Considering La Novia only drinks bottled water, it seems that's the way to go. I have to laugh though, when she watches me drink tap water and she rolls her eyes...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have never bought water off a truck, but they come by all the time with a distinctive horn blowing. Yesterday I asked our maid if she drinks the water from the trucks. Her answer was a firm yes, even has her favorite seller - shared his name and assured me his water is sweet. ??

We use well water for cooking when it's something boiled a long time, bathing and laundry. Coffee, etc comes from the bottle. Water we drink is put into Brita pitcher in fridge.

Very few here have wells. Water comes from city a few times a week, you can always tell when it does because all the laundry is out

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Truck water is for bathing and cleaning. Bottled (colmado) water is for drinking and cooking.

May 29, 2006
I'm not a big fan of corporate anything. I know that profits tend to trump responsible decision making sometimes. The more people who handle your bottled water before you get your hands on it the more opportunities there is for funny business. Buy direct from the company of your choice. Have their truck deliver it to you. If you need a rack to hold the bottles in your house or apt, they will give you one. If you are really concerned, visit the bottling plant and look for yourself. Find out which company supplies the largest resorts in your area and use them if you don't have your own preference.

Everyone living here should have at least a weeks worth of drinking water on hand for each person in the home all the time. If a storm blows through or there is a strike that last thing you need to worry about is water. Food, personal safety and a whole lot of other factors will come into play in such circumstances.

I have twenty bottles and the truck comes to replenish every two weeks. It's cheap, convenient, no lifting and hassle free. In times of difficulty, I may be hungry, but I have lots to drink and no you can't have any of it. Get and maintain your own supply of drinking water.

If you are experiencing stomach issues it's probably not the bottled water. Keep you mouth shut in the shower and strop eating salads in the restaurants.

You can go weeks without eating, but only three or four days without water. Less when its hot.

Getting a rack might be a good idea. I've got my esposa's sister's family and her dad all next to us. In all, around twelve ppl to supply clean water to, and another twelve in the apts next to us we can sell the surplus to.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
i repeat, truck water is not safe for drinking, regardless of how they are marketing it.

Since values, integrity and principles are a lost art in Dominican society and business, I would also recommend filtering the filtered water bought from colmados no matter what the brand.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
here in SD I have used Villar Bro. bottled water for years, never a problem. Can even take your own bottles to their facility and run them through the process yourself. and Its only 25rd done that way, 35rd to your door,

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Truck water is for bathing and cleaning. Bottled (colmado) water is for drinking and cooking.

I?m slightly confused here, as to if the discussion is about trucks selling full botellones, or trucks carrying a large water tank full of drinking water? The latter I have never even seen, we have once or twice purchased full botellones from a truck, and weren?t happy with the quality.

99 % of the time we buy the botellones from a local plant, never issues with quality, 25 pesos per 5 gallon tank. My wife is very strict about the sealing, and with them, we know there are no issues...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
A lot of differing opinions on the quality of bottled water. Has anybody ever had their favorite water lab-tested?

May 29, 2006
I?m slightly confused here, as to if the discussion is about trucks selling full botellones, or trucks carrying a large water tank full of drinking water? The latter I have never even seen, we have once or twice purchased full botellones from a truck, and weren?t happy with the quality.

99 % of the time we buy the botellones from a local plant, never issues with quality, 25 pesos per 5 gallon tank. My wife is very strict about the sealing, and with them, we know there are no issues...

I see now that the potable water trucks are not as common as I thought. There are at least two companies in my neighborhood that refill the bottles from a stainless steel tank that start around 7:30 AM with the looped recording and some music. Along with the potable trucks, some sell water for tinacos out of the plastic 1000 liter caged cubes. Those trucks are always beat to hell pick ups that just blare their horns. The other trucks are those Japanese flatbeds.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I see now that the potable water trucks are not as common as I thought. There are at least two companies in my neighborhood that refill the bottles from a stainless steel tank that start around 7:30 AM with the looped recording and some music. Along with the potable trucks, some sell water for tinacos out of the plastic 1000 liter caged cubes. Those trucks are always beat to hell pick ups that just blare their horns. The other trucks are those Japanese flatbeds.

But what did those caged cubes carry when they were new? I met a guy locally who bought one that he was assurd had only carried cooking oil, but he was unable to clean it enuff to keep fish alive, and he knew fish, on like Der Fish who has never been able to keep a fish alive for a week in a home aquarium.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
be nice if they had a water detector...sort of like a pen device for phony money....
and how does one purify city water???

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Remember, this is a lawless society. You could be served something poisonous that kills you and there will be nobody at fault here.
Always assume you are being lied to and use your own common sense as to the safety of the item or situation.

Here we go again.

A simple conversation on WATER safety is quickly turned into an indictment of an entire country. The more things change..."A lawless society" with which strangely the poster appears to be voluntarily affiliated for years.

ooops...Something tells me *I* am at fault, for pointing out that a water thread shouldn't be turned into an insulting indictment of an entire country. My apologies.