Try to convince me that what I'm doing is wrong...

R

rabble rouser

Re: You are correct

no tom, our government's kickbacks, oops i mean subsidies, have been allocated to quebecois hotel/golf course developments for the next four years. apparently this has left our government employees with so much free time they now offer travel advice via the internet.

S

Sarah

Here's the key...

"I'm willing to take the risk. The benefits of things going the way I hope outweigh the consequences of things going wrong. It's worth the risk to me."

Move forward!

D

D

Re: Try to convince me that what I'm doing is wron

My Dominican husband and I have been married for 4 1/2 years and have a beautiful 7 month old daughter. We met while I was on vacation in Juan Dolio and married 6 months later when I returned for another visit. My family was also not very accepting at first - same problem of being too traditional and "What will people think?" They were also worried that all he wanted was Canadian citizenship. They have now completely accepted him into the family and think he's a great person - sometimes I think they even like him more than me! ;-) Good luck and follow your own heart. After all, your parents made their own decisions about who to marry and so should you!

M

Mercedes

Just to be clear

The reason Dominican people like to come to study in the U.S. is indeed the fact that the USA is the great Emporium and everybody is proud to get a diploma from an American University. It's not because they don't have to study as hard or harder to get a good degree back home. Another reason is, because when you get a degree from a foreign university it's most of the times not valid in the U.S. unless you pass your test here to apply your degree. It's much easier for you to use your USA university degree in D.R. than the other way around.

Regards,

Mercedes

M

missy

justin

Hey, I don't really know what it is that you want...if it is reasons to not be with the person, I can give you some, and if it's reasons to be...I can give you them too!!! I met a Dominican man last year and have had similar trouble with my dad.
Some of the horror stories I received last year after posting a similar question would amaze you. One person I talked with had been with their mate for 7 years, had finalized the papers and had them brought to US, one year one year later the dominican ran off with another person in the US never to be heard from again...This is not the only case I personally heard of this...

Reasons not to:
it may be only money that they want. Maybe they just want out of DR. Chances are, there is some type of alterior motive
How do you know that this person does not have the same relationshiop with others? Are you the first?? Are you the last?? How will you make a relationship work from all those mmiles away? Can you trust in her?? Have you tried to see if others know her, or her reputation?? Be very careful. Are you the one always calling her?? Is she putting just as much effort and money into this as you?? I know money might not make a difference to you, but if it is a cornerstone to your relatioonship even on one end, be careful, castles built on sand always eventually crumble.....

Sorry to be the barer of that bad news, but it is not even 1% of the bad news I heard....

On the positive side, maybe it is true love, and if that's the case, more power to you....I hope it works out. Just proceed with caution...a lot of people experience the same thing and when it all pans out...it ends up just being some sort of wurlwind vacatiion romance...I hope for your sake this is not the case.

I have not yet decided the fate of my own situation. I chose to step back for a while.. But the case is a bit different then that of many of those I've heard. The man I was interested in paid for everything while I was there, would not let me pay for cabs, food, drinks, etc..Even still, he is the one that calls me, and if I call him, he hangs up and calls me back, and not because I ask...So I doubt that he is in it for the money... Juist be careful. And best of luck, I hope it does become everything you dream of and more.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

T

Tom

My "pet peeve" made clear

I'm always complaining about these stupid "DC" headers and the above message certainly shows why.

Without going back and reading (Still doesn't help me) all the messages in the string, does the above "DC" have any meaning or useful information for anyone?

Rafael, I'm not trying to single you out, just asking what is the purpose of your header?

Tom

S

Sarah

Re: My "pet peeve" made clear

Tom,

I'm just wondering how do you have your Preferences set? Mine is set at the default, Mixed Threaded, and DCs really don't bother me. However, when set at any type of Chronological setting, I can understand your irritation.

Sarah