Trying to live in rural areas for 3 months on 26000 pesos by camping. Can it be done?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
before you go you better make a mental note of basics prices: bread, eggs, plantains, chicken and so on. some things are not all that cheap when you add them up. 4k a month is durable for dominicans because they are dominicans. they have extended families, they live with the help of each other and sometimes off each other. you will be alone. you have no where to store food, you'll have to buy smaller portions.

you speak spanish, great. do you speak french? it will help you in communication with haitian communities too.

if sleeping in secluded areas (beach, forest) gets rough and you sense danger then get out of harms way and stay close to people. farms, villages, bateys. you have three months, you may easily spend a week or longer in one location if you find a great place.

Jan 16, 2013
I can't speak any french. Not a word! I don't plan on going any farther west than areas to the north of Pico Duarte so I doubt I will encounter very much french.

I planned my journey to cover areas that are not heavily populated like cites but also avoiding remote places so that all my basic needs are available at all times. I am considering bringing my warm, but lightweight jacket because I am suseptible to the cold environment, even 10 degree weather and I cool down too fast sometimes! I plan to hang out a lot at altitudes that are fresh, hopefully lower in bacteria exposure and mosquitos, but that also involve really cold mornings (low teens and even high single digits)

Sunday morning this week in Toronto and in the hills near Jarabacoa were actually about the same because we started the day at 9 degrees in Toronto and that is typically what I will be getting every day in those highlands.

before you go you better make a mental note of basics prices: bread, eggs, plantains, chicken and so on. some things are not all that cheap when you add them up. 4k a month is durable for dominicans because they are dominicans. they have extended families, they live with the help of each other and sometimes off each other. you will be alone. you have no where to store food, you'll have to buy smaller portions.

you speak spanish, great. do you speak french? it will help you in communication with haitian communities too.

if sleeping in secluded areas (beach, forest) gets rough and you sense danger then get out of harms way and stay close to people. farms, villages, bateys. you have three months, you may easily spend a week or longer in one location if you find a great place.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2013
Your adventure sounds great. I am jealous. Please take photos and post them here upon your return.

Thanks. I will be sure to share my photos. Besides, the vast majority of places I plan to go to have no photos up on Google Earth. People will apreciate more and want to visit the mountains area when they see how great they look!

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I went up Pico Duarte a couple of years ago. It was a really cool trip. There are some amazing spots in those mountains. It can get quite cool up there after the sun goes down, near freezing.

Jan 16, 2013
I went up Pico Duarte a couple of years ago. It was a really cool trip. There are some amazing spots in those mountains. It can get quite cool up there after the sun goes down, near freezing.

Yes I learned about that. Even moderatly high elevation areas like Jarabacoa (500m) get chilly at night. I will be closer to 900m much of the time so I will really feel a chill! I am actually bringing my coat to the country because mornings will be that chilly! Positive in all this is that mosquitos are minimized by that environment.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can't speak any french. Not a word! I don't plan on going any farther west than areas to the north of Pico Duarte so I doubt I will encounter very much french.

I planned my journey to cover areas that are not heavily populated like cites but also avoiding remote places so that all my basic needs are available at all times. I am considering bringing my warm, but lightweight jacket because I am suseptible to the cold environment, even 10 degree weather and I cool down too fast sometimes! I plan to hang out a lot at altitudes that are fresh, hopefully lower in bacteria exposure and mosquitos, but that also involve really cold mornings (low teens and even high single digits)

Sunday morning this week in Toronto and in the hills near Jarabacoa were actually about the same because we started the day at 9 degrees in Toronto and that is typically what I will be getting every day in those highlands.

In the Jarabacoa area 99% of any Haitian you come in contact with will speak Spanish and many actually speak some English. Typical temperature, other than way up on Pico Duarte will be in the middle to high teens during the night and 20-24 during the day. Why not stay in a hostal and explore during the day to find out whether an area is safe. I wouldn't camp anywhere but there certainly are farmers that are safe to stay with.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Best of luck on your "Dominican Adventure!"
Take good notes, and write a travel book about the DR when you are done.
You might consider a local cell phone to have with you for any emergencies.
You can call for help if you need it.
Best not to wear any jewelry, or expensive watches, or cameras while you are living here.
You will have the opportunity to learn a "New Language" here in the DR!
They had 500 years on an island to transform "Spanish" into "Dominicanish"!
The more remote the village, the more "Unique" the language!
You can buy almost anything you need for "illnesses" at any pharmacy.
Please keep us up-to-date on your adventure.
Cris Colon

Jan 16, 2013
The "dominicanish" part is funny! I hope I don't have too much difficulty like when I used to live in eastern rural Colombia because I barely understood anything in their "colombish"! lol.

Best of luck on your "Dominican Adventure!"
Take good notes, and write a travel book about the DR when you are done.
You might consider a local cell phone to have with you for any emergencies.
You can call for help if you need it.
Best not to wear any jewelry, or expensive watches, or cameras while you are living here.
You will have the opportunity to learn a "New Language" here in the DR!
They had 500 years on an island to transform "Spanish" into "Dominicanish"!
The more remote the village, the more "Unique" the language!
You can buy almost anything you need for "illnesses" at any pharmacy.
Please keep us up-to-date on your adventure.
Cris Colon

Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for the weather. I am glad it won't be too cold. One time when living in Santo Domingo, I met a haitian woman and knew right away because her spanish was not nearly at my level yet and she did not speak english yet. She told me she actually used to live in Quebec, Canada. I am sure I will meet many really interesting and great people during my stay. I look forward to meeting the farmers and getting to know the local lifestyle. I like mountains a lot and that is mostly what I will see where I am going.

In the Jarabacoa area 99% of any Haitian you come in contact with will speak Spanish and many actually speak some English. Typical temperature, other than way up on Pico Duarte will be in the middle to high teens during the night and 20-24 during the day. Why not stay in a hostal and explore during the day to find out whether an area is safe. I wouldn't camp anywhere but there certainly are farmers that are safe to stay with.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
My 2pence. I haven't read into many of the replies and so I apologies if this has already been said.
The problem with what you are talking about doing in your OP is that there are not many people wandering this country, hiking and camping and so you stick out like a sore thumb. Everywhere you go you have your belongings on display, advertised to anyone who will see you, which will include those opportunists. Although Doms don't see many people backpacking around they will understand that you are and so have ALL your belongings on you, and so will understand that you will have your bank cards on you which could cause you a brief kidnap to the local ATM in some sleepy village you hope to experience. It happens.
It isn't very easy getting around without transport also, there are plenty of links on public transport but you will be doing a hell of a lot of waiting around, arriving in a town late and then trying to make your way out of town without drawing attention.
You want to spend time up in the mountains, in the smaller villages, you know how bored you are going to be, how much money you will need just so you can sit around outside some colmado and have a drink just to pass the time. There is absolutely nothing to do in these small villages and transport out to any point of interest will cost you.
You might also want to consider where you will be leaving your kit while you head off on a sightseeing trip, I wouldn't trust anyone and I wouldn't have enough confidence no one was watching me stash it.

Camping is romantic and Camping the Caribbean even more so as an idea, but you need to understand that around you are people who are ruthless in what they will do if there is a payday at the end of it, and just as much in rural areas. People in general are used to a more gentle pace of life, but the violent nature here makes it so much more of an undertaking than say Europe, that must be taken onboard because I get the impression you think you can judge this place by previous experiences when infact you will very much be a fish out of water.

At least have back up funds to get you into a hotel once you realize what you are doing and how other worldly the hiking/camping thing is here. There is a very very good reason the sides of the roads on this pretty country are not lined with students taking a time out to explore.

Saying all this there are ranches everywhere that will put you up, for a price, and your budget will not stretch to that, out of every 10 people you ask to do you a good turn here, possibly 1 or 2 will oblige, get your wallet out for the rest.

A wonderful idea, but not such a great reality imo.

Good luck!

Jan 16, 2013
Thanks a lot for all your points. I will try to be careful in selecting which parts of the country I go so it can be more enjoyable and safe.

My 2pence. I haven't read into many of the replies and so I apologies if this has already been said.
The problem with what you are talking about doing in your OP is that there are not many people wandering this country, hiking and camping and so you stick out like a sore thumb. Everywhere you go you have your belongings on display, advertised to anyone who will see you, which will include those opportunists. Although Doms don't see many people backpacking around they will understand that you are and so have ALL your belongings on you, and so will understand that you will have your bank cards on you which could cause you a brief kidnap to the local ATM in some sleepy village you hope to experience. It happens.
It isn't very easy getting around without transport also, there are plenty of links on public transport but you will be doing a hell of a lot of waiting around, arriving in a town late and then trying to make your way out of town without drawing attention.
You want to spend time up in the mountains, in the smaller villages, you know how bored you are going to be, how much money you will need just so you can sit around outside some colmado and have a drink just to pass the time. There is absolutely nothing to do in these small villages and transport out to any point of interest will cost you.
You might also want to consider where you will be leaving your kit while you head off on a sightseeing trip, I wouldn't trust anyone and I wouldn't have enough confidence no one was watching me stash it.

Camping is romantic and Camping the Caribbean even more so as an idea, but you need to understand that around you are people who are ruthless in what they will do if there is a payday at the end of it, and just as much in rural areas. People in general are used to a more gentle pace of life, but the violent nature here makes it so much more of an undertaking than say Europe, that must be taken onboard because I get the impression you think you can judge this place by previous experiences when infact you will very much be a fish out of water.

At least have back up funds to get you into a hotel once you realize what you are doing and how other worldly the hiking/camping thing is here. There is a very very good reason the sides of the roads on this pretty country are not lined with students taking a time out to explore.

Saying all this there are ranches everywhere that will put you up, for a price, and your budget will not stretch to that, out of every 10 people you ask to do you a good turn here, possibly 1 or 2 will oblige, get your wallet out for the rest.

Good luck!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Bordom might be as much of a problem as safety, but I do wish you all the luck and look forward to reading your reports.

Actually, I have just been thinking back and 3 or 4 years ago there were two girls who did the back packing thing (although as I remember only a week or two) and wrote a report on here. Maybe if you did a bit of searching or maybe if a moderator helped you search (search function on here is a bit dyslexic) you could find that thread and get an idea.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We need a "Sticky" here called "Ask Anna".
"Anna C" can find anything,EVER Posted on DR1!
Sometimes to the chagrin of the poster!!
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, find "Anna C" and ask her for help.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
My Spanish is not good but whenever I have stayed in the campo with a Dominican speaking person I have had no problem with boredom. There is always something going on and many times you can help with practical items. Most areas the gaguas pass along main roads at least every 2 hours in daylight hours and go to the nearest main town. Locals know the approx times and mostly the gaguas can be hailed down. So its a wait under a shady tree with a book or Kindle , a bottle of water, and perchance fresh coconut fruit etc. and watch the world go by - with small binoculars you can view much birdlife - DR has many species of birds.
Take care with spiders they have nasty bites and do not fall asleep.

yapask1

Good luck!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To the OP, if you find yourself on the southern coast [west of Santo Domingo] in March or April drop me a PM. You're welcome to camp on our property while we're there, nothing but Dominicans around you, and a short walk to the beach.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
My Spanish is not good but whenever I have stayed in the campo with a Dominican speaking person I have had no problem with boredom. There is always something going on and many times you can help with practical items.

Hmmm, I disagree 100% Infact although a lovely picture is painted by your post I doubt it is something you have experienced. Campo is mind bendingly boring if you don't have work to do or a project to work on. And if your Spanish is poor then you have little chance in being able to help with anything practical other than clearing brash for someone who will probably turn you away anyway not understanding why someone would work for free.

Most areas the gaguas pass along main roads at least every 2 hours in daylight hours and go to the nearest main town. Locals know the approx times and mostly the gaguas can be hailed down.

Guaguas don't operate like this up in the hills.

So its a wait under a shady tree with a book or Kindle

Yip, bring a bit more attention to yourself displaying what to the average Dominican will be an ipad.

Our experiences are a little different lets say:cross-eye

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sounds like a interesting adventure. Would make a interesting blog if your able. Be safe and most of all be smart.

Jan 16, 2013
To the OP, if you find yourself on the southern coast [west of Santo Domingo] in March or April drop me a PM. You're welcome to camp on our property while we're there, nothing but Dominicans around you, and a short walk to the beach.

Thanks a lot. I was studying the sw too. I will be going around during march and april so I may find myself there. I will mention it if I do end up in that part of the country.

My Spanish is not good but whenever I have stayed in the campo with a Dominican speaking person I have had no problem with boredom. There is always something going on and many times you can help with practical items. Most areas the gaguas pass along main roads at least every 2 hours in daylight hours and go to the nearest main town. Locals know the approx times and mostly the gaguas can be hailed down. So its a wait under a shady tree with a book or Kindle , a bottle of water, and perchance fresh coconut fruit etc. and watch the world go by - with small binoculars you can view much birdlife - DR has many species of birds.
Take care with spiders they have nasty bites and do not fall asleep.

yapask1

thanks for your positive input. I will not being going anywhere whith any eletronic devices aecept for a camera that fits in a pocket. When I wait for the bus, I literally do nothing till it gets there. that won't be an issue because I plan to only use the guagua on ocasion when I change regions, while I plan to walk anywhere I go within one region.