Tryp by Wyndham hotel in Palenque, San Cristobal

Alejandra

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2016
Tryp-Wyndham-en-Palenque-Presidencia-1024x572.png

On Saturday, 19 November 2022, President Luis Abinader was in Palenque, San Cristóbal, half an hour west of Santo Domingo to visit the site of the first internationally-branded hotel in San Cristóbal province. The Ministry of Tourism has been investing to improve beachfront infrastructure in the area. Construction of the property is well advanced with an opening expected for March 2023.

This is the first investment by Tryp By Wyndham (formerly known as just Tryp) in the Dominican Republic. Tryp is a brand of independently-owned hotels that Wyndham acquired in 2010 and has rebranded.

Tourism Minister David Collado spoke of the good times the Dominican tourism industry is experiencing. He spoke of an occupancy rate of 85% and 83,000 hotel rooms nationwide with expectations the year will close with a record 7.2 million arrivals. He said that vacation property sales...

Continue reading...

• Love
Reactions: AlterEgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Pretty soon AE's house will be in the city.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
That is a funny old area to build a hotel in. Don't get me wrong, I do like Palenque but I can't quite see that the area will appeal to tourists. I guess maybe the fact that it is a condo type property will appeal to locals from SD who want a beachfront getaway.

Reactions: JD Jones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That is a funny old area to build a hotel in. Don't get me wrong, I do like Palenque but I can't quite see that the area will appeal to tourists. I guess maybe the fact that it is a condo type property will appeal to locals from SD who want a beachfront getaway.

We’ve been trying to figure out where this is being built. If you go there, you know that there is already a condo community that has been in development for about 10 years, right on the beach, called Coconut Paradise. Back then we tried to sell our big property to buy one of the planned houses, but it wasn’t meant to be. They did build several condo buildings that are occupied. At first I thought maybe they bought CP, especially since someone named Montas was an owner.
That property backs up to a community of houses that’s been there a long time. I’m now thinking this complex must be on the other side/Nizao side of those houses. It’s a pristine beach area with no road access, that continues until the Nizao River.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yesterday we had lunch at Playa Palenque, down the western end called Cocolandia by the locals. The hotel is being built between the Coconut Paradise residential complex and Cocolandia.

It was quiet and almost deserted, we were the only customers at our favorite place. Next section over there were two occupied tables. One person swimming in entire beach. It was hot, which surprised us, because it was cooler at our house.
5199722D-7739-4BE5-8AE0-D7439AB46D27.jpeg

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I bet business will pick up for these guys once the hotel is up and running.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I bet business will pick up for these guys once the hotel is up and running.

I hope so. They built a large metal building that will temporarily house all the beach restaurants while they raze all the buildings (restaurants and restrooms) on Cocolandia and rebuild new facilities. We just hope they don’t cram them into the building and then take 10 years to build what’s promised.