Two Canadians being held in Jail in Higuey charged with assault? Wedding Party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I did notice that in the midst of all the anguish the suspects' family were able to pass along the possibility that the "bad guys" were from Montreal with Russian origins.
There are still some in Canada who see nothing but "bad guys" when they look at Qu?bec.
I don't know.....
But I sure did roll my eyes really hard.
In the context of the article I found it to be a clich?.
I hope nobody takes offence....It's just an observation.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
For those that have never been Quebec offers incredible foods in numerous great restaurants, fantastic Maple sugar, lots of good looking women, first class medical facilities and the high pitched sound of whining you can hear all the way to Vancouver.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Those who live in the DR need to familiarize themselves with Dominican Laws. You are guilty until proven innocent. Both parties involved are thrown in jail until police sort out the circumstances. They will be set free once they investigate and interrogate witnesses.

You can`t be held for over 48 hours without being presented before a judge for an arraigment. If you`ve been held for over 48 hours they have to set you free!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
You can`t be held for over 48 hours without being presented before a judge for an arraigment. If you`ve been held for over 48 hours they have to set you free!

What is the purpose of being held for 48 hours? They are gathering evidence, otherwise how can they charge someone if there's no proof.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
On an assault charge? I don't think so. Maybe on robbery, or murder or indirect violation but an assault? I doubt it, but I'll respect your knowledge on this place and come to a conclusion my experience has not been carried out lawfully, or under corrupt circumstance and the lawyers, police and judges just lied to me.

Who and where is the victim? What is the victim`s situation? Wounds and injures curable before 15 days are "a instancia privada", which means that there`s the need of a victim pressing charges to keep the action going.
Prosecutors can press charges, even without the victim`s interest, in cases like rape or murder.

There doesn`t seem to be anything that shows that this case could go somewhere.

bilko

Aug 5, 2011
Who and where is the victim? What is the victim`s situation? Wounds and injures curable before 15 days are "a instancia privada", which means that there`s the need of a victim pressing charges to keep the action going.
Prosecutors can press charges, even without the victim`s interest, in cases like rape or murder.

There doesn`t seem to be anything that shows that this case could go somewhere.[/Q

The father claims they had a "Mickey Mouse Trial" and were convicted.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The article says that they were taken to a trial in which they were not represented. First of all, it couldn`t possibly have been a trial. It takes, at least, a few months for a case to go to trial. They must be talking about an arraignment. Next, I seriously doubt that they were not represented in court. Everyone is represented in court. There`s free state lawyers for that!

Notice that I`m not saying that there`s justice in the D.R. I`m just saying that it`s not possible for someone to be arraigned without a lawyer. Yes, even in the DR!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The article says that they were taken to a trial in which they were not represented. First of all, it couldn`t possibly have been a trial. It takes, at least, a few months for a case to go to trial. They must be talking about an arraignment. Next, I seriously doubt that they were not represented in court. Everyone is represented in court. There`s free state lawyers for that!

Notice that I`m not saying that there`s justice in the D.R. I`m just saying that it`s not possible for someone to be arraigned without a lawyer. Yes, even in the DR!

Exactly. It looks like they were charged(with assault) not convicted which would occur after the trial if found guilty.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
What is the purpose of being held for 48 hours? They are gathering evidence, otherwise how can they charge someone if there's no proof.

The 48 hours is a time limit set as a control or limit to Police or prosecutor abuse. It`s the time before which the prosecutor has to present the suspect before a jugde for an arraignment hearing. This is because, before the current Code, people could be arrested and held for months, even for minor things, with no info on their status and no hope for a trial.

In the arraigment hearing the judge has to check if there were any violations during the arrest, if there are hints or "scintillas" that indicate the person could have participated in the crime, if there are grounds to hold an investigation, etc.

An arraignment is a temporary disposition in which a suspect is held during an investigation. The type of arraigment is imposed according to the type of crime and the attachments that the suspect could have in the country.
If the person has family, business in the DR, they could get bail, or have to come periodically to the prosecutor`s office to sign a record book, for a set period of time (among other things). If the person has no attachments to the DR, or it`s considered that they could posibly escape and not be present for trial , they could be held on "Prision Preventiva" for 3 months and up to a year.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

Hmm I know I complain about lazy no good cops here on my island but than again you wont be in jail unless someone is killed.. You can beat up your wife, hit a motoconcho for fun with your truck, have some good old fights and you wont be put in jail before a conviction.. Off course this is a small island so you cant run and hide..

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
For those that have never been Quebec offers incredible foods in numerous great restaurants, fantastic Maple sugar, lots of good looking women, first class medical facilities and the high pitched sound of whining you can hear all the way to Vancouver.

Hmm whats the catch? As Canadian men go to DR for women when they have lots of good looking women in Quebec?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hmm whats the catch? As Canadian men go to DR for women when they have lots of good looking women in Quebec?

Old French Canadian men go to the DR looking for young Dominican women. Many Canadians go to the DR because it is warm and the people friendly - rum is cheap and they can catch direct flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.