Two carriers to start passenger, cargo flights to USA within 90 days

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- President Danilo Medina met Thursday in the National Palace with executives of Pawa Dominicana Airlines and Santa Barbara Airlines, which could start flight operations in the country within 90 days.

The executives said Pawa and Santa Barbara airline flights could meet the local exporters? demand with their higher capacity to transport perishables to U.S. and Caribbean markets, and increase the number of tourists visiting Dominican Republic.

The airlines will provide passenger and cargo services from Dominican Republic to New York City, and to the region known as the Caribbean Corridor: Aruba, Curacao and Puerto Rico. Also Valencia, Venezuela among others.

Venezuelan businessman Simeon Garcia Rodriguez, president and partner of the carriers headed the delegation, who in a press conference reiterated that they could start within 90 days, initially with one flight daily to New York and then two, ?in response to the Dominican Government?s interest to ensure the shipment of perishables bound to the U.S. market.?

Source: DT

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This was in DR1 news last Friday. I'm continually surprised that more people don't read it every day on the Home Page. You can also have it e-mailed to you daily, sign up on the same Home Page.

Cargo airlines for perishable products
Pawa Dominicana and Santa Barbara Airlines of Venezuela received backing from the Presidency yesterday, Thursday 22 August for their efforts to become a leading transporter of fresh produce. The companies aim to fill the void left after American Airlines stopped its New York-Santo Domingo flights. The companies expect to begin operations in 60-90 days.

Executives Simeon Garcia Rodriguez, Rita Dolores Herrera de Ramirez, Nelson de Jesus Torres, Armando Cuello Ortiz and Jeremy Cape of Pawa and SBA met with the President. Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo and the director of the Dominican Civil Aviation Institute, Alejandro Herrera also participated in the meeting with President Medina, representing the government. Herrera said that the government would expedite processes for the inspection certification and training required for the airlines to start operations locally.

Pawa used to operate in the Dominican Republic.

L?neas a?reas cubrir?n rutas entre RD, Nueva York y el Caribe | Presidencia de la Rep?blica Dominicana

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't know anything about civil aviation laws, but can an airline (Santa Barbara) have a route between two foreign countries (DR-US) without ever touching its home country (Venezuela) in any leg of the trip? Is Santa Barbara going to be given status of dominican airline, or fly using the dominican flag?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Any airline can fly to and from any country as long as the permissions have been granted.
It could also be a sub-charter operating under a Dominican AOC which would then automatically grant Dominican permission.

Jan 9, 2004
As to PAWA, this seems like the umpteenth time this airline has been resurrected after ceasing operations.

PAWA Dominicana suspends operations, strands passengers | World Airline News

Hopefully this time if/when they go belly up they will only be stranding fruits and vegetables.....but it sounds like they will carry passengers New York-SDQ/SDQ-New York.

I do hope they have other aircraft as the DC-9 they have/use has not been made since the early eighties.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Reminds me of...[video=youtube;wA6pv0Hhl0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA6pv0Hhl0I[/video]