Type of Bird

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
I have been told it's called a Guacko. Im thinking it maybe a Palmchat.

The loudest most annoying squak squak squak squak then a bunch of gurgling.

Everytime I go to record it, it silences.

I also have been told their incessant squaking is a rain predictor.

I looked up usual methods to to be rid of birds. Any thoughts or comments and suggestions?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Palmchat is cigua palmera, the national bird - dulus dominicus.
Guaco - according to a quick Google search - is one of the names for the laughing falcon Herpetotheres cachinnans or black-crowned night heron Nycticorax nycticorax but not sure if they are common in the DR or indeed if there is another bird known as guaco in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
are you sure it's a bird ??

those little frogs make a sound -- an irritating one - and shut up when you approach

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
50/50 what you are hearing is a tree frog. Although they are most vocal at night it is not unheard of to hear them during the day. If you don't hear the chorus at night then as you suspect, it could be a bird. Frogs are pretty active during rainy periods because there is standing water to lay eggs in.

Limpkins are loud and make noise at night. The mockingbirds can be raucous and persistent. Of course there is also the Dominican Woodpecker. Most of the smaller song birds including the palmchat are tweeters & flutters.Most birds are heard from dawn to dusk only.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've seen a larger black bird that looks like a smaller crow that is loud with caw-caw-caw and then makes other sounds like a Mockingbird.

Recently these birds have been harassing our two cats, so I figure a nest is close by..

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

I looked up usual methods to to be rid of birds. Any thoughts or comments and suggestions?

Could it be that they said it was a maco, instead of guacko.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Okay, all great thoughts. I will post a luve recording....I woukd be amazed if it were a frog and not a bird...

We have many frogs and birds out and about at any given moment.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Maybe golondrina (?) It is, supposedly, a rain predicter..... but cant say what noise it makes.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

I may be going out on a limb (yes, intended), but there is a bird family "Grackle" with numerous members which can be found all over N.A. and S.A.
Their call is annoying and they can mimic like mockingbirds do.
If you were able to get a picture of the bird it would be much easier to identify.
As for getting rid of them, if it's only one or two, a cat or dog that likes to hunt should work.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Okay, all great thoughts. I will post a luve recording....I woukd be amazed if it were a frog and not a bird...

We have many frogs and birds out and about at any given moment.

What made me think 'grog' was when you said it stops at any movement near it --

That's what they do.... they spook easily