Typical Interaction With A Dominican

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
come on a nice lady serving at your place...u gotta bring something with you...dont have to ask offer her more than you think/ is it her day off? costume??? 50-75$ is fine make her happy...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So far I have been pretty lucky. In those instances where I needed to negotiate for work to be performed, I found already having a price in mind to be helpful.

I don't fault the locals for trying to get as much as they can and as mentioned above, I tend to believe that in a lot of cases their desire to maximize their income results in unrealistic expectations and initial quotes on their part. Then, in order to save face, they often choose to accept nothing and walk away rather than admit or be shown the error of their ways.

By starting the discussion at a price that is reasonable to you, lots of time can be saved and both parties can decide immediately if continued dialogue is warranted.

I can think of lots of situations at home, where you will be taken advantage of you if you haven't done your homework before purchasing: hearing aids, furnaces/ACs, snow removal services, insurance, financial investments, cars etc.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Then, in order to save face, they often choose to accept nothing and walk away rather than admit or be shown the error of their ways.

You do bring up a good point that there is no negotiations with these nuts. In most other cultures where they start ridiculously high (Thailand, Israel, Jewelery stores in the US, most places...) it is in order to begin negotiations and you can end up paying 10 percent of the initial quote. But IT IS DIFFERENT HERE. These guys won't negotiate and just walk away - either cheat you big time or no deal at all. And usually they will try to avoid giving what you paid for anyway, so no matter what you spend you won't get what you were looking for. I love the general statements about the DR in reply to specific instances. Like people steal everywhere. Yes, but not everyone steals everywhere. OK, now let's hear about the one Dominican who hasn't stolen from someone ... YET.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How about Gringos that become "Dominicanized" that steal from other Gringos, that is a thread of it's own.

I once rented a condo from a Gringo owner, and he doubled the electric usage for my monthly stay. I stayed in the same complex 9 -10 more times and every subsequent stay was 1/2 or less.

He no longer posts on dr1:surprised

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You do bring up a good point that there is no negotiations with these nuts. In most other cultures where they start ridiculously high (Thailand, Israel, Jewelery stores in the US, most places...) it is in order to begin negotiations and you can end up paying 10 percent of the initial quote. But IT IS DIFFERENT HERE. These guys won't negotiate and just walk away - either cheat you big time or no deal at all. And usually they will try to avoid giving what you paid for anyway, so no matter what you spend you won't get what you were looking for. I love the general statements about the DR in reply to specific instances. Like people steal everywhere. Yes, but not everyone steals everywhere. OK, now let's hear about the one Dominican who hasn't stolen from someone ... YET.

my buddy went to a furniture store in La Vega, and saw a living room set he loved. he got a hold of the owner, and they negotiated a price of 63,000 for the whole shooting match. he told the guy he would be back the following day with the cash.

the next day he got back there with the corn, but the owner was not there. the floor manager told him that the price was 70 large. my buddy told him that he had negotiated a price of 63 with the owner. he suggested to the floor manager to call the owner to verify the agreement.

the manager firmly informed him that when the owner was not present, he made the rules, and the price was now 70 large. so, he lost the store a sale, because my buddy was not going to pay the 70, on principle. these guys are strange cats.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
How about Gringos that become "Dominicanized" that steal from other Gringos, that is a thread of it's own.

I once rented a condo from a Gringo owner, and he doubled the electric usage for my monthly stay. I stayed in the same complex 9 -10 more times and every subsequent stay was 1/2 or less.

He no longer posts on dr1:surprised

Just Paying it forward. I think when you are in the culture, it is you versus it. Usually the culture will win. Or maybe this person is in the DR because his morals/values match. The Gringos tend to fit into 2 categories, scammers and suckers. Pretty much the same categories as the Dominicans are in.

Apr 7, 2014
If you give the average Dominican the chance to do the right thing, be honest or even remotely reasonable then you will always end up let down. I truely believe these people have no concept of the real meaning of respect, morality, honesty, they are a difficult people to live among. Not all, but a fukcing huge majority are absolute wasters in life and couldn't last 2 seconds anywhere else amongst a respectable society.
I've given up with them, odds against lotto on who your dealing with, and I can count good experiences over 10 years on 1 hand.

Even this is questionable. In my experience, the wrong thing is not merely immoral or illegal, it is "what is counterproductive, non-productive or unconstructive". You can tell people a very efficient way to proceed and it would work for as long as you stick to the pattern but they wont do it. Something internal inside them tells them to behave and decide counter to what works and has been known to work. They do it the country you came from because it works/worked and will work. But places like here, the people attempt a task using no logic or common sense and hope it works with no actual investment, effort or intensity on their part.

It does come down to respect for your existence. How many times have you guys like myself made the effort only to met with less than the minimum reciprocation? You clearly understand they cannot do 50/50, nor 70/30 in most cases it will be 80/20(which is dangerously skewed to me). But you get people who offer you 95/05 and then get self-righteous about the worth. How can you be worth anything if you just demonstrate to me that you need ME to do EVERYTHING? If I have to do everything then I get first dibs on all proceeds and you get the remnants, or what is better known as scraps.

The problem is NOT the people because once they land in Canada, the US, or Europe they can adapt to the order of things. So it has to the culture of laissez faire mediocracy that is the standard in the developing world.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just Paying it forward. I think when you are in the culture, it is you versus it. Usually the culture will win. Or maybe this person is in the DR because his morals/values match. The Gringos tend to fit into 2 categories, scammers and suckers. Pretty much the same categories as the Dominicans are in.

i think the whole world fits into the scammers and suckers framework. the problem arises when the scammers far outweigh all other types of people. the problem with scamming is that it depends upon taking the easiest way out, and that does not last forever. the problem with people here is that they have a keen sense of smelling out kindly people, and they invariably mistake kindness for weakness.

Apr 7, 2014
i think the whole world fits into the scammers and suckers framework. the problem arises when the scammers far outweigh all other types of people. the problem with scamming is that it depends upon taking the easiest way out, and that does not last forever. the problem with people here is that they have a keen sense of smelling out kindly people, and they invariably mistake kindness for weakness.

The archetype of "Kindness for Weakness" deserves a taxonomy all its own.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The archetype of "Kindness for Weakness" deserves a taxonomy all its own.

it is very simple, and can be easily proven, empirically. here?s how..

go into a chica bar. open a pack of cigarettes, and set it down on a table. invariably, one of them will ask you for a smoke. her friends will be watching the outcome. you give one to her, and two minutes later another will crawl over, asking for one. they will all come over, one by one, until you have an empty pack.

in certain societies, some of the girls would have been too embarrassed to ask for one, because they would have thought that you had already done your share by giving away four. it does not work that way here. the fact that you gave them away means you are a pendejo, and pendejos must be exploited, or you have failed to do your national duty.

Apr 7, 2014
it is very simple, and can be easily proven, empirically. here?s how..

go into a chica bar. open a pack of cigarettes, and set it down on a table. invariably, one of them will ask you for a smoke. her friends will be watching the outcome. you give one to her, and two minutes later another will crawl over, asking for one. they will all come over, one by one, until you have an empty pack.

in certain societies, some of the girls would have been too embarrassed to ask for one, because they would have thought that you had already done your share by giving away four. it does not work that way here. the fact that you gave them away means you are a pendejo, and pendejos must be exploited, or you have failed to do your national duty.

95/5% isnt good enough. It must be 99/1% with you conceding all you have with no reciprocation at all...and you should be glad to have had been hustled too.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would take the same approach with a small twist. I say no thanks and then mention I have another option that is much more reasonable.
They usually come back with a price match. Then I tell them if that would have been their original price I would have gladly hired them. However I now know that they will try and over charge me at any chance and I prefer to deal with people that quote me an honest price on first request.

Let them realize they screwed up. May not make a difference but at least I tried.

Perhaps she thought she was being gamed by the OP so returned the favour.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Perhaps she thought she was being gamed by the OP so returned the favour.

Very clever. I ask what she is being paid and I was playing her. You are consistent Bob, you show all characteristics of the Dominicans. No one has assimilated more than you, you found where you belong.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The word of the month "Taxonomy"...I like it.
Gorgon you are correct. The chicas have it down to an exact science. They come over to you and usually start with a complement ... oh nice shirt, shoes etc. Than the light banter. The smart ones will even recommend a nice restaurant that you should go to( which they have never been), its all nice cordial,enjoyable, conversation. They ask for a beer and I of course comply. At this time all the seagulls watching flyover and ask for a beer and some get pushy.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
The word of the month "Taxonomy"...I like it.

Actually that might be interesting. We could classify the different behaviors individually. It sounds like we have Chica at the bar done. I'll give the latin name in brackets
How about:
Dominican on Politics (Politicus Stupidus)
Dominicana on relationship (Relationshipus stupidus)
Dominican on immigration (Evilus retardus)
Dominican on Business (doublecrossus illogicus)

Sure we can come up with more. Feel free to define.
Please don't just put "see Bob Saunders" that won't be productive.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
When I bought my business cards here they included a blow job!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Actually SEVERAL!!!!!!!

I got a punch card, buy 7 get one free, but the "FREE" one is really not free.
It's two for one, and they charge you double, LOL!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have been here awhile and the Dominican mentality still amazes me. For every honest, respectable, hardworking Dominican, there are 100 who would rob you blind and then go to church. No remorse. I have seen it with all classes and the only difference is the way they do it. There are some really good, honest people here but after you have been burned a couple of times it doesn't matter. I myself have tried to help people out but in end realized I was being taken. It only took a couple of times for me to learn my lesson. And when you do catch them in a lie it is always someone's fault or they do their best to turn the situation back on you. Now I just sit back and watch the show, I never ever get involved or volunteer any assistance unless it is something I truly want to do without being asked.