U.S. bill requires air travelers to be vaccinated against Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Only a matter of time when the World shrinks........................And this is from our Dominican Today and concerns all Dominicans..................................

SUBMITTED BY CONGRESSMAN RITCHIE TORRES

For the 15th district in the Bronx, Congressman Ritchie Torres submitted a bill to Congress that seeks that only fully vaccinated passengers can travel by plane in the United States.
The proposal would require vaccination before boarding a domestic or international flight. In addition, it would establish exemptions for children who are not eligible for the vaccine, with a “valid” medical excuse.
Also, to international travelers who “may not have the same access” to vaccines.
The Bronx rep is pushing President Joe Biden’s administration to pass the measure, as history tells us that “vaccination mandates are the best hope for breaking the cycle of infectious diseases.”
According to Hoy (Today), the Delta variant has caused a setback of the pandemic in the U.S. territory, causing a significant increase in deaths and transmissions of the virus.
From the beginning of the pandemic until the night of last Thursday, August 12, in the U.S., 37,167,888 were reported infected; 635,901 were deceased, and 30,090,395 were recovered.
Of this amount in the state of NY, 2,257,089 are infected; 54,404 dead and 2,093,454 recovered.
In addition, in the Big Apple, there are 981,518 infected and 33,636 deaths.
Thousands of DOMINICANS in the USA have died from Covid-19, and tens of thousands have been infected.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jan 9, 2004
Only a matter of time when the World shrinks........................And this is from our Dominican Today and concerns all Dominicans..................................

SUBMITTED BY CONGRESSMAN RITCHIE TORRES

For the 15th district in the Bronx, Congressman Ritchie Torres submitted a bill to Congress that seeks that only fully vaccinated passengers can travel by plane in the United States.
The proposal would require vaccination before boarding a domestic or international flight. In addition, it would establish exemptions for children who are not eligible for the vaccine, with a “valid” medical excuse.
Also, to international travelers who “may not have the same access” to vaccines.
The Bronx rep is pushing President Joe Biden’s administration to pass the measure, as history tells us that “vaccination mandates are the best hope for breaking the cycle of infectious diseases.”
According to Hoy (Today), the Delta variant has caused a setback of the pandemic in the U.S. territory, causing a significant increase in deaths and transmissions of the virus.
From the beginning of the pandemic until the night of last Thursday, August 12, in the U.S., 37,167,888 were reported infected; 635,901 were deceased, and 30,090,395 were recovered.
Of this amount in the state of NY, 2,257,089 are infected; 54,404 dead and 2,093,454 recovered.
In addition, in the Big Apple, there are 981,518 infected and 33,636 deaths.
Thousands of DOMINICANS in the USA have died from Covid-19, and tens of thousands have been infected.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If allowed, as it may involve banned political discussions, it belongs in the Vaccine Passport thread.

That having been said, this bill will meet the same circular file fate as a similarly filed bill did last year.

Next.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
Precisely due to the travel restrictions currently imposed on Sinovac, Turkey just announced they'll be offering a fourth shot to those who want to travel - 4th meaning a second Pfizer jab after completing the two dose Sinovac protocol. So they become the first country to authorize four vaccine shots. Will the DR follow suit?

Turkey offering extra Pfizer shots for those wanting to travel

Turkey has administered 83 million vaccines against COVID-19, mainly Sinovac's Coronavac and the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. In the first weeks, it was exclusively using the Chinese vaccine, which has not been approved in some Western countries.

Last month, authorities started giving a third dose to health workers and people aged over 50, as studies showed that the antibodies triggered by Sinovac's vaccine decline after around six months.

More than six million of those booster doses have been administered, and the ministry said on Monday that people who had been given a booster dose of Pfizer could receive a second Pfizer shot if needed for travel.

Reactions: Se fue la luz

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Turkey decision seems to have little to nothing to do with public health.

It's a travel related decision..... no regard for health effects.

Reactions: Tonchi

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I cannot predict if the bill in the OP will pass, nor can I predict how soon two Pfizer shots will be allowed in the DR after two Si No Vac shots.

They are both possibilities. What is a fact is that CV19 is now endemic in the world. Neither vaccinations nor restrictions will eliminate CV19.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cannot be worse than not getting any vaccine and dying.................
With Delta Bravo India do we know yet if that if more than 5 out of 1,000 cases (my personal estimate extrapolated on the number of people actually infected) will die? Or is it simply more contagious causing more deaths because of that alone?

OwnRules

Dec 26, 2002
twitter.com
The Turkey decision seems to have little to nothing to do with public health.

It's a travel related decision..... no regard for health effects.
Indeed - spent a bit of time translating Turkish Twitter, and the health minister himself said there are no current medical reason to recommend a second Pfizer shot after the booster. He's (rightly IMO) getting quite a bit of clapback.

Here is his tweet explaining the decision: Dr. Fahrenttin Koca

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With Delta Bravo India do we know yet if that if more than 5 out of 1,000 cases (my personal estimate extrapolated on the number of people actually infected) will die? Or is it simply more contagious causing more deaths because of that alone?
You did get vaccinated with Sinovac, did you not? Any problems to date?

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Only a matter of time when the World shrinks........................And this is from our Dominican Today …..
Good I hope vaccines are mandatory on all flights. Wear a mask, get the jab, gimme 6’ plz

Feb 7, 2007
Precisely due to the travel restrictions currently imposed on Sinovac, Turkey just announced they'll be offering a fourth shot to those who want to travel - 4th meaning a second Pfizer jab after completing the two dose Sinovac protocol. So they become the first country to authorize four vaccine shots. Will the DR follow suit?

Turkey offering extra Pfizer shots for those wanting to travel
They are not the first country. Uruguay had already been administering 2 Pfizer shots on top of two Sinovac and Sinopharm shots.

Feb 7, 2007
I have had two Sinovac shots and one Pfizer shot and already have been told to have my second Pfizer shot and then I will be given a new vaccination card to carry with me .Yes I am well over 50 , may travel and am in La Romana,
I got a new vaccination card for the 3rd (1st Pfeizer) shot.

Who did tell you you can get 2nd Pfizer shot? I would definitely be interested.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Reuters News This could be a serious development for people in the Dominican Republic

Exclusive: U.S. developing plan to require foreign visitors to be vaccinated, official says​

WASHINGTON, Aug 4 (Reuters) - The Biden administration is developing a plan to require nearly all foreign visitors to the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as part of eventually lifting travel restrictions that bar much of the world from entering the United States, a White House official told Reuters on Wednesday

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002

I have 2 shots of Sinovac already (May & June). I have my dominican card, all good here. However France won't recognize it, and now they have a "French covid passport" (Pass Sanitaire). I'll have to travel to France in a couple of months, so I am loking into other options. Here in Las Terrenas, I can easily get my 3rd dose of Pfizer "the Booster". But I don't know if they would give me a 4th Pfizer dose. I also don't know if it's reasonable to get so much vaccine shots. So for those DR1ers getting a 3rd & 4th Pzifer dose after 2 Sinovacs, pls share your experience. Thanks in advance!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010

I had my first Pfizer shot at Multiplaza in La Romana about 6 weeks ago and they wrote the date and pfizer on the back of my existing card and told me there that I would have a new card after my second Pfizer shot I think I will go on Wednesday or Thursday .. They are extremely helpful people there .I assume that you speak spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.