Uber Experiences

Silent Bob

Oct 1, 2020
USA
How does Uber work in the DR?

Do you pay through the app?

Is it reliable?

Do they always require more than the quoted price?

Any tips or experiences would be welcome. I will be primarily in Perto Plata with some time in Sosua.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Works just like the US except the cars might be older and often very small.
But it only works in Santiago and Santo Domingo as far as I know, and they block most airports

Reactions: Silent Bob

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It hasn't happened to me yet in SD, but I've heard of drivers wanting to charge more than the app registers.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I've used UBER a lot in Santo Domingo and all cars have been new or close to it. You can pay via the app or in cash. I've never had a problem and it's about 1/2 price from of the local taxis. I have never had a problem or been asked to pay different than what was quoted.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
A trick uber drivers use here is they show you a screen capture of a higher fee ride, watch out for it and only pay what your app registers as the fee.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
How does Uber work in the DR?

Do you pay through the app?

Is it reliable?

Do they always require more than the quoted price?

Any tips or experiences would be welcome. I will be primarily in Perto Plata with some time in Sosua.

Used it a lot in POP with very good experiences. Even used it to the airport. I'm now in the Sosua/Cabarete area and almost never see uber cars available here

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I've used UBER in Santo Domingo to great success and satisfaction. The cars are usually clean in very good condition with A/C. On occasions a small Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris will grace me but always clean and in good condition. I've never been charged different than what the app shows. I was once asked by a driver if I could do him the favor of paying in cash as opposed to through the app and I did. I did not ask him why but I suppose he was in need of the funds immediately. All things considered I would rate UBER service here in DR with high marks.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I hear there is Uber in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata and since recent in Punta Cana. Does anyone know how that is going in Punta Cana ?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Recently used “only” Uber for two days in the Capital. The Ubers I rode in were ALL very clean, ALL immediately available within minutes, ALL courteous drivers, ALL with working AC and was never once asked to pay more than what was on the app...

I’ll NEVER use Apollo Taxi again...

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Recently used “only” Uber for two days in the Capital. The Ubers I rode in were ALL very clean, ALL immediately available within minutes, ALL courteous drivers, ALL with working AC and was never once asked to pay more than what was on the app...

I’ll NEVER use Apollo Taxi again...
My experiences in the capital are also all positive just the airport trips being tricky.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've used UBER in Santo Domingo to great success and satisfaction. The cars are usually clean in very good condition with A/C. On occasions, a small Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris will grace me but always clean and in good condition. I've never been charged differently than what the app shows. I was once asked by a driver if I could do him the favor of paying in cash as opposed to through the app and I did. I did not ask him why but I suppose he was in need of the funds immediately. All things considered, I would rate UBER service here in DR with high marks.

Same here. Only two cases where the vehicle/driver did not match the app. Venezuelans driving someone else's car.

Reactions: aarhus

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I've used UBER in Santo Domingo to great success and satisfaction. The cars are usually clean in very good condition with A/C. On occasions a small Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris will grace me but always clean and in good condition. I've never been charged different than what the app shows. I was once asked by a driver if I could do him the favor of paying in cash as opposed to through the app and I did. I did not ask him why but I suppose he was in need of the funds immediately. All things considered I would rate UBER service here in DR with high marks.

I agree but it is worth pointing out that the bar is about as low as it can get here. uber competes with taxistas who often don't know there way around even central Santo Domingo, drive unsafe vehicles in extremely unsafe ways, and who rarely quote fair rates unless you confirm with a dispatcher or have a baseline. Indriver is a lower cost alternative to uber if you don't mind negotiating with the drivers.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
An added benefit of UBER and the others like Lyft is you can see your progress on a map on your cellular which allows you to be informed the minute the driver deviates from the assigned route.