Uber Experiences

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I like INDRIVER. I first check fare on Uber, on Excelente Taxi and then use INDRIVER. Excelente Taxi app is also good and fares are very reasonable.

I like your technique. I too use uber as a baseline. When it's competitive I go with it. When it's not I will use indriver. I prefer the convenience of registered credit cards with uber and uber's customer service policies.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Hola.
Been using uber in the capital for 4 yrs now never had a problem .... I think it very safe.... works the same as usa... It's way been than dealing with jose of is trying to swindle you at every turn..

Reactions: arturo
Feb 7, 2007
I like your technique. I too use uber as a baseline. When it's competitive I go with it. When it's not I will use indriver. I prefer the convenience of registered credit cards with uber and uber's customer service policies.

I haven't used Uber in DR for more than a year...maybe two. Do they still charge by minute so your trip will cost more if you are stuck in a traffic jam? Or is the quoted rate the one you will pay, no matter what ?

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I haven't used Uber in DR for more than a year...maybe two. Do they still charge by minute so your trip will cost more if you are stuck in a traffic jam? Or is the quoted rate the one you will pay, no matter what ?
AFAIK it's always been the quoted base fare plus extra for transit time if there's a delay.
The idea behind UBER is they go from point to point nonstop so if they sit in a traffic jam they're still consuming time and fuel.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

If you paid more than the quoted rate you got ripped off.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If you paid more than the quoted rate you got ripped off.

Just to be clear, these apps give you an estimated cost and the extra cost for waiting, stuck in traffic, etc are calculated by the app and a total presented when the trip is finished.
Paying more than the amount calculated by the app is one's own personal decision.
I always allow the trip to be charged to my card, and I frequently will give a small tip as well. I have had numerous cordial conversations with UBER drivers and understand their dissatisfaction at times.
A driver lucky enough to jump from one fare to another can make fairly good money. The ones who make trips to locations where no new or return fare is available can really cut into profits.

Reactions: Mr Deal HD
Feb 7, 2007
My question was, does Uber show you (before the trip) an estimate or the final cost? I know in many countries Uber is required by law to post final rate at the time of contracting, which can not later change. INDRIVER, EXCELENTE TAXI etc show you final rate. If the driver is unlucky to get stuck in traffic while taking you to your destination, that's not your financial problem. So what I want to know, is now Uber DR the same, or do they'd till show you and estimated rate and calculate the final rate once you get off the car ?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
My question was, does Uber show you (before the trip) an estimate or the final cost? I know in many countries Uber is required by law to post final rate at the time of contracting, which can not later change. INDRIVER, EXCELENTE TAXI etc show you final rate. If the driver is unlucky to get stuck in traffic while taking you to your destination, that's not your financial problem. So what I want to know, is now Uber DR the same, or do they'd till show you and estimated rate and calculate the final rate once you get off the car ?
I always thought it was the final cost, but I've been caught in some pretty impressive traffic jams that ended up increasing the cost and the driver had no input into the calculation. It was based on planned vs. actual time and distance consumed.
And let's not forget UBER is a lot like Google maps: it will give you the shortest distance route, but there are other routes that are longer but much faster. That bumps the price a little as well.
But all things considered, we're talking about a couple of dollars difference when you're running around the city.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

I have never paid more than the price I was quoted from the app a the time of booking. Last week I was caught in late afternoon traffic for at least 30 minutes and my fare was still the same as I was quoted.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have never paid more than the price I was quoted from the app a the time of booking. Last week I was caught in late afternoon traffic for at least 30 minutes and my fare was still the same as I was quoted.

YMMV.. :LOL:

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Need to go from Santo Domingo MetroBus station to La Romana airport to catch a late evening flight. Do UBER drivers have permission to drive during curfew hours?
Or anyone can recommend a reliable taxi driver in Santo Domingo or La Romana?

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Need to go from Santo Domingo MetroBus station to La Romana airport to catch a late evening flight. Do UBER drivers have permission to drive during curfew hours?
Are you taking into account you should be in the airport 2 hours early?

Reactions: Michael DR

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Anyone knows the answer to my original question?

Good morning Bred,

I can tell you that there are many taxi and UBER drivers who have the required permission to offer transportation service during the curfew.

I can't tell you if the driver you hire has that permission, and if you ask a driver if he has permission they will probably tell you they do whether they do or not.

Most drivers will want an arm and a leg to drive from Santo Domingo to La Romana at night.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend one.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Anyone knows the answer to my original question?

The drivers who have permission have a huge certificate taped to the windshield on the inside which has the permission on it. On the passenger side. You can't miss it. How anyone could think it's safe to expect drivers to block out half their windshield with such a massive piece of paper is beyond me, but hey ho we are in DR.

I have been told that the police will stop the vehicle if it has two people in, even with that permission, as the permission is only for the driver. You would be OK as you are allowed to go to and from the airport for a flight, but they would want to see your flight ticket as proof.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The drivers who have permission have a huge certificate taped to the windshield on the inside which has the permission on it. On the passenger side. You can't miss it. How anyone could think it's safe to expect drivers to block out half their windshield with such a massive piece of paper is beyond me, but hey ho we are in DR.

I have been told that the police will stop the vehicle if it has two people in, even with that permission, as the permission is only for the driver. You would be OK as you are allowed to go to and from the airport for a flight, but they would want to see your flight ticket as proof.

That's by personal choice. They are not required to tape it to the windshield.

Feb 7, 2007

I know a driver who has the permission, if you are interested i can pass you his whatsapp number. He is reliable.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

No UBER doesn't. I asked an UBER driver and he said they are done at curfew hours. He told me to contact INDRIVER.