Uber finally good to go on the north coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNsoota

Sep 26, 2020
MN
I’m here for a couple more days, wanted to ask if anyone has successful Uber stories while on the north coast to share?

The house I’m renting is two minutes from El Batey beach. I opened my Uber app, punched in La Catalina restaurant (El Cupey) and it’s coming back at only DOP 515.77. Legit? Or too good to be true?

Appreciate any feedback with recent Uber transactions on the North. Thank you!

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
My daughter uses Uber all the time the last 3 years (in Puerto Plata), never had any complaint. Mind you it was always for short rides (in pop itself or just outside pop). I heard stories from people who wanted to take an uber from pop to santiago/santo domingo and when the driver came, he wanted more money then the app would show etc. But for short distances, we never had problems.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think Uber generally works well for short trips. For longer ones, Uber doesn't pay the drivers nearly enough. The whole model of Uber is that the driver is constantly getting new fares, so as soon as he drops in one location another customer will be around the corner. For longer journeys, this won't work, a driver from Puerto Plata going to Las Terrenas will want to get back to Puerto Plata afterwards, so the fare has to cover him for going there and back. So I would always recommend Uber for short inter-city hops, and either use Caribe Tours (with headphones on) on longer journeys, or use a trusted known driver.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I’m here for a couple more days, wanted to ask if anyone has successful Uber stories while on the north coast to share?

The house I’m renting is two minutes from El Batey beach. I opened my Uber app, punched in La Catalina restaurant (El Cupey) and it’s coming back at only DOP 515.77. Legit? Or too good to be true?

Where is EL Batey beach?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The house I’m renting is two minutes from El Batey beach.

If the sand is 180 degrees and there's one cafe up on the cliff, that's Playa Alicia.

Does anyone know if they ever replaced the missing glass fence in the park?

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua

I have had a number of clients from Lifestyles Cofresi use Uber to get to Playa Sosua. Many delays as drivers are not always available in Puerto Plata.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Oh, I thought Uber was not available here in Puerto Plata because of all the regular taxis attacking Uber drivers (and clients). I have a friend that tried Uber a while back, but he had to stop doing that because he was always threatened by the regular taxis, so he got to a point where it wasn't worth it anymore. For his safety and his client's safety.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I've used Uber many times in Puerto Plata with nary a problem. I think the issue is at the airport, not so much around town.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If the sand is 180 degrees and there's one cafe up on the cliff, that's Playa Alicia.

Does anyone know if they ever replaced the missing glass fence in the park?
yes that sand ... best to go there in early morning.....

MNsoota

Sep 26, 2020
MN
Where is EL Batey beach?
Ha, I meant el batey sosua.

Oh, I thought Uber was not available here in Puerto Plata because of all the regular taxis attacking Uber drivers (and clients). I have a friend that tried Uber a while back, but he had to stop doing that because he was always threatened by the regular taxis, so he got to a point where it wasn't worth it anymore. For his safety and his client's safety.
This was my thinking too Kricke87. The mafioso regular taxi drivers were fighting to keep Uber out.. I appreciate the feedback. Will give Uber a go on a fairly short taxi ride tomorrow. Thank you, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.