Uber to Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The other day I took Uber from Las Americas airport into Santo Domingo. It worked very well. There isn’t the issue of it having to be secret anymore to avoid harassment from the other taxis. And the tariff is also the same as for other taxis. So I was thinking. Does anyone on the forum know if it’s possible to go with Uber from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas. And what’s the difference between UberX and Uber Comfort ?

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Can't answer your question, but how much was the fare from the Las Americas airport to Santo Domingo?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The other day I took Uber from Las Americas airport into Santo Domingo. It worked very well. There isn’t the issue of it having to be secret anymore to avoid harassment from the other taxis. And the tariff is also the same as for other taxis. So I was thinking. Does anyone on the forum know if it’s possible to go with Uber from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas. And what’s the difference between UberX and Uber Comfort ?

I didn’t realize that was possible. The taxi mafia is aware?

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I didn’t realize that was possible. The taxi mafia is aware?
I was just told I should check Uber and that Uber now operates in Las Terrenas. Seems hard to believe. But I think at Las Americas airport they fixed it by charging same tariffs. In Las Terrenas the taxis has the highest tariffs I have seen in the DR.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Just over RD 1,700 pesos.

Basically US$ 30 then. I'm pleased they have sorted this out, for a long time Uber was charging a crazy low price to go to the airport and it was causing problems as drivers were refusing to take people. If they are now charging the same as the other taxis then it's fair. And US$ 30 from the airport to the city has always been the price.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

A taxi from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas normally comes in at over US$ 150 mainly because of the tolls. If you did take an Uber, I suspect they would want to go "off piste" and negotiate a fare with you outside the app - bear in mind the driver will need to come back again after dropping you, so paying double the gas and double the tolls.

To get to Las Terrenas from the airport I would recommend that you get a taxi to the Asotrapusa stop (close to the airport) and then get the Asotrapusa service to Las Terrenas which takes about 2 hours from there and costs RD$ 500 (under US$ 10) per person. All of their buses are the 70 seaters and have AC. A lot of people from Las Terrenas use this to get to and from the airport, every time I've used that service it has a lot of people getting on and off at the stop near the airport with suitcases.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Ubers Business Model is and has always been to Come in at a LOW Price, Get People used to the Idea of their Service, undercut the Taxi Mafia Prices, and then BECOME the new Taxi Mafia ..

this word " fair " does not mean what you think it means .

Reactions: JD Jones

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I think they've probably done what they did in Punta Cana/ Bavaro and agreed that Uber will charge the same fares as local taxis.
What we did was get to know the Uber driver then get his # and negotiate with him directly. Quite a savings from Uber posted rates or the taxi mafia.

Reactions: JD Jones

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I am coming to DR soon and I'll take Uber from SDQ airport to downtown SDQ, I was quoted $28.50 USD one way... Gonna be interesting that Taxi mafis will be pissed

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am coming to DR soon and I'll take Uber from SDQ airport to downtown SDQ, I was quoted $28.50 USD one way... Gonna be interesting that Taxi mafis will be pissed
They won't care. UBER's are using the same rates as Taxi's now. They work in harmony now.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Basically US$ 30 then. I'm pleased they have sorted this out, for a long time Uber was charging a crazy low price to go to the airport and it was causing problems as drivers were refusing to take people. If they are now charging the same as the other taxis then it's fair. And US$ 30 from the airport to the city has always been the price.
That’s probably why it’s working now. I remember when I once paid Uber under a 1,000 and it was back then you had to tell them you were on the second floor and make sure the other taxis didn’t see it. Stupid. I stopped using Uber then. It was really a pleasant surprise this time.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
A taxi from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas normally comes in at over US$ 150 mainly because of the tolls. If you did take an Uber, I suspect they would want to go "off piste" and negotiate a fare with you outside the app - bear in mind the driver will need to come back again after dropping you, so paying double the gas and double the tolls.

To get to Las Terrenas from the airport I would recommend that you get a taxi to the Asotrapusa stop (close to the airport) and then get the Asotrapusa service to Las Terrenas which takes about 2 hours from there and costs RD$ 500 (under US$ 10) per person. All of their buses are the 70 seaters and have AC. A lot of people from Las Terrenas use this to get to and from the airport, every time I've used that service it has a lot of people getting on and off at the stop near the airport with suitcases.
I am in Santo Domingo already. Not sure yet if I take the Las Terrenas bus, the Caribe Tours bus to Sanchez and then taxi or taxi all the way. Even considering renting car with a friend and she drives it back after 2-3 days.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I finally did get to Las Terrenas. I took the bus from behind Plaza Lama at Duarte in Santo Domingo. 500 pesos and taxi to the station and in Las Terrenas where both 400. An opportunity to see some of the real DR on the way. Not going to be an advanced economy any time soon. I don’t understand the need for some posters to push this narrative.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I just did a search on the Uber app and it says a bit more than a hundred from where I am staying to the bus station in Las Terrenas. I hear it’s not working and it won’t with prices that much lower.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I finally did get to Las Terrenas. I took the bus from behind Plaza Lama at Duarte in Santo Domingo. 500 pesos and taxi to the station and in Las Terrenas where both 400. An opportunity to see some of the real DR on the way. Not going to be an advanced economy any time soon. I don’t understand the need for some posters to push this narrative.
Agreed. Well, there are members who have significant investment here. It behooves them to push the best outcome, while knowing it's simply not so.