Uber to Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I finally did get to Las Terrenas. I took the bus from behind Plaza Lama at Duarte in Santo Domingo. 500 pesos and taxi to the station and in Las Terrenas where both 400. An opportunity to see some of the real DR on the way. Not going to be an advanced economy any time soon. I don’t understand the need for some posters to push this narrative.
Aarhus, maybe start a thread why based on your bus ride you think the economy will not be advanced any time soon. Interested in hearing but would it be off topic for this thread.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
What we did was get to know the Uber driver then get his # and negotiate with him directly. Quite a savings from Uber posted rates or the taxi mafia.

Uber drivers are not rich people most are struggling to make ends meet. And Uber is not expensive in DR. I just can't understand people coming from rich countries to poor ones and then trying to nickel and dime everyone here the second they arrive

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Uber drivers are not rich people most are struggling to make ends meet. And Uber is not expensive in DR. I just can't understand people coming from rich countries to poor ones and then trying to nickel and dime everyone here the second they arrive
I can’t understand negotiating with the Uber driver and paying outside the platform. To me the whole point is using the platform of Uber for convenience and security.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I can’t understand negotiating with the Uber driver and paying outside the platform. To me the whole point is using the platform of Uber for convenience and security.
Lately when I've taken Ubers, it's because the fare is too low and they want cash. Numerous times this year they cancel the uber and make it cash only for a higher fee.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Jan 8, 2009 22,457 5,309 113 South Coast

The other day I took Uber from Las Americas airport into Santo Domingo. It worked very well. There isn’t the issue of it having to be secret anymore to avoid harassment from the other taxis. And the tariff is also the same as for other taxis. So I was thinking. Does anyone on the forum know if it’s possible to go with Uber from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas. And what’s the difference between UberX and Uber Comfort ?
I didn’t realize that was possible. The taxi mafia is aware?

Why would anyone take a Uber from any airport in the DR at the same price as a regular taxi? You need to go on the app, order the Uber, wait what could be Dominican time for the Uber, see it when it arrives, who knows what shape the car is, etc, etc. Instead of getting in a real taxi that is there to take immediately and go. Also luggage, airport taxis have room for plenty of luggage, Uber who knows?

That is why the Taxi mafia could care less. They are there ready to serve, can't say the same for Uber. When Uber was half price it was a different story, but now who needs them from any airport............

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Jan 8, 2009 22,457 5,309 113 South Coast

I didn’t realize that was possible. The taxi mafia is aware?

Why would anyone take a Uber from any airport in the DR at the same price as a regular taxi? You need to go on the app, order the Uber, wait what could be Dominican time for the Uber, see it when it arrives, who knows what shape the car is, etc, etc. Instead of getting in a real taxi that is there to take immediately and go. Also luggage, airport taxis have room for plenty of luggage, Uber who knows?

That is why the Taxi mafia could care less. They are there ready to serve, can't say the same for Uber. When Uber was half price it was a different story, but now who needs them from any airport............
It turns out it hasn’t worked out for Uber in Las Terrenas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With Uber you are always dealing with drivers that want more money. Could only lead to aggravation when they decide to ask for more, or just cancel you out. Maybe in SD it works a bit, but other places and certainly not leaving from airports you are at your own risk with these guys..........

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
With Uber you are always dealing with drivers that want more money. Could only lead to aggravation when they decide to ask for more, or just cancel you out. Maybe in SD it works a bit, but other places and certainly not leaving from airports you are at your own risk with these guys..........
It's pretty much the same in SD Metro. I'm quoted 750 by uber to go to San Isidro and the drivers want 1300. On the way back, I said eff uber and went with a taxi for 1000.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It's pretty much the same in SD Metro. I'm quoted 750 by uber to go to San Isidro and the drivers want 1300. On the way back, I said eff uber and went with a taxi for 1000.
I use Uber because of the convenience and security. If the Uber driver wants to work offline then I might as well go with a normal taxi service.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Aarhus, maybe start a thread why based on your bus ride you think the economy will not be advanced any time soon. Interested in hearing but would it be off topic for this thread.
I will think about that. Maybe not worth it. All I see from going with the bus is extreme poverty but if you just read dr1 you would think it’s a booming developing economy and society. I also walked around the Colonial Zone the other day. It was a complete dump.

• Wow
Reactions: NanSanPedro and XQT

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
So from what I am hearing in Las Terrenas the established taxis put a stop to Uber operating there. Not sure exactly how.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
You pay the scale of the countries economy, relative to the services you desire.

You won't get thanks or appreciation by overpaying, they just think you are a foreign idiot.
As it is Dominicans overcharge gringos whenever they can, obviously you are from a rich country and can afford overpaying.
If you don't speak Spanish or know the culture, good luck mother Maria Theresa.

Wether using taxis or Uber know your regular tariff.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I don't nickel and dime them. I get their direct number so that they don't have to pay uber a commission. My wife uses the Uber rate as the guideline so that no one gets greedy. I have never tried to negotiate the price. I guess I should have been more clear in my previous response.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Uber is expensive in the DR when the drivers want to charge the same rate as local taxi drivers. When the drivers accept the fare in the app, it's a reasonable price, comparable with the experience in most other countries where Uber operates.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Uber is expensive in the DR when the drivers want to charge the same rate as local taxi drivers. When the drivers accept the fare in the app, it's a reasonable price, comparable with the experience in most other countries where Uber operates.
One of the most positive things about the DR from my perspective is its openness towards a service like Uber. And there are a couple of others. Indriver and Didi I think. In Santo Domingo it helped me a lot. I will see if it eventually will work in Las Terrenas.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
It's not remotely a complete dump. There are some less than pristine areas outside of El Conde, but for the most part it's fine.
I found El Conde to be especially in bad shape. With all the supposed plans for renovating the colonial zone some years ago I don’t see what happened. If anything it looks worse.