Ufffff Jodenorte, electric bill gone nuts

Tallman1680

On Vacation
Oct 7, 2006
DR has the most expensive electrical services in the world is .63 cents per kilowatt compare to the US wich is .7 cents per kilowatt.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
notice .63 < .7
what are you trying to say that american electricity is cheaper than DR?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I have to check my con ed bill but I think in NYC, its about .12 - .15 cents a kilowatt. .63 cents a kilowatt in the DR is outrageous to say the least.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The poster seems to be a little confused as to the actual costs of electricity here. If if were in fact .63 cents per kilowatt hour that would be RD$20.79 per kilowatt hour.

Though I'll admit that electricity here is expensive I will state that it hasn't reached 20 pesos per.

But then again hang in there and give the distributors a chance and who knows what limits can be reached.

Rick

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Tamborista, are you sure about your rate in NYC?

FPL (Florida) charges $.092/KWH. It is half your cost!

In any case, however you look at it, DR still has for sure the most expensive electricity cost i have seen ever.

It is going to be cheaper soon to run a planta on biodiesel than living on the grid!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Just looking at electricity on the global scale we can see that China just raised their rates;
IndustryWeek : China Raises Electricity Prices
This means that Chinese people are paying a little over 6 cents a kwh.

This article gives an idea as to the costs around the US and who pays the most. Check it out;
CNMI ELECTRICITY RATES HIGHEST IN U.S. - September 4, 2006

If you really would like to find out what is happening I would suggest this link;
Energy Information Administration - EIA - Official Energy Statistics from the U.S. Government
Electric Power Annual - Net Generation by Energy Source by Type of Producer

Nice map of the US with costs per state but is from 1999 here;
Electricity Retail Price Fact Sheet
Map doesn?t show US possessions with their costs.

Rick

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one month on and....

so the electricity bill arrived.
from PP electricidad, or whatever they are called.
we switched off computer for the night and most of the day; used little of water heater as there was little or none water to be heated; fridge was as full as it gets; no air con, just one fan, on only at night. i thought to myself, boy, oh boy, i will save soooooo much.
bill arrived. a month ago we used 214 kilo wats (or whatever it is called). this month - 187. the difference in the bill: 134 pesos.
f***ing joke.
:tired:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
NOt quite correct there.

We pay 6.87 per KWH for the first 200 and then 7.46 over that.
So....the math is

187 X 6.87 = 1,284.69

She is with Puerto Plata de Electricidad, a private company and we rarely go without power.

YOur other point though is even more important, she saved even more....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanx god for small blessings

i know we reduced the bill. what pains me is that a month ago computer was on most of the time, downloading. washing machine was on all the time due to the fact that we had water, which cannot be said about lthis month.
yet still we only saved 134 pesos. exacly 9% off the previous bill.

last night coraaplata delivered some water after mas o menos a MONTH without giving us this pleasure. a month of buying after by a truck. water is included in out rent but of course there is no chance we get the monies back from the landlord...

i think i am going slightly grey... ;)