Ultimate Betrayal of A National Hero

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This sad story made the news because Claudio Caama?o was a national hero.
Makes one wonder how many other people this has happened to, and whether I or one of my loved ones could be next.

Claudio Caamano dies after traffic accident
Down in history for upholding the right to Constitutional presidency of former President Juan Bosch, 79-year old Claudio Caamano Grullon died in the early hours of this morning, Tuesday 22 March 2016 from injuries suffered in a traffic accent on the San Cristobal-Bani highway Pizarrete crossing on Sunday, 20 March 2016. The accident occurred when another vehicle crashed into Caamano's vehicle to avoid hitting a motorcycle driver. He was accompanied by his daughter Claudia and a four-year old grandchild who were both unhurt.
During the accident, one of his ribs punctured his lung. He also suffered a broken shoulder. He was being treated in the intensive care unit at the Centro Medico UCE in Santo Domingo. His son, Claudio Caamano Velez is running for deputy in the May 2016 election.
Relatives had criticized the fact that although the accident occurred at 5pm, Caamano was not admitted to a hospital until 10pm, which may have reduced his chances of survival. The family said that several hospitals they visited were full or said they did not have the facilities to treat the patient.
The family visited Centro Medico Aguasvivas in Bani, and Cedimat, Plaza de la Salud and Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo. They complained that the 911 system is no good if it picks up a patient but there is no hospital to treat him adequately.
http://eldia.com.do/claudio-caamano-sufre-accidente-de-transito-tiene-cuatro-costillas-rotas/
http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/201...ullon-dos-dias-sufrir-accidente-transito.html
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/sucesos/claudio-caamano-en-cuidados-intensivos-DE3107511
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=216482911734374&story_fbid=351725304876800

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This could have been anyone. The fact that it is news is only because Caama?o was one of the Constitutionalists during the 60s.

I suspect that places like Cedimat and Clinica Abreu did not want him because of the poor condition of the patient...physically, not monetarilly.
They would gain millions in rewards if they could have save such a "National Hero" .....the publicity alone would have been worth any costs involved.

HB

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The problem is also the lack of chest drains and ER staff who know how to use them. The story resonated with me too as I was in the same situation with a punctured lung only by a bullet rather than a rib. I was turned away from 2 clinics and the public hospital in San Pedro de Macoris as well as the clinic in Juan Dolio as they could not do chest drains nor a tracheotomy. One clinic could do the tracheotomy but not the chest drains and I made it to Plaza de la Salud for the chest drains with literally seconds to spare. There really is a dire need for emergency rooms in all hospitals to be trained in standard emergency medicine as I am sure there are hundreds of cases like this every year.

Matilda

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
I am surprised to read that Cedimat and Clinica Abreu did not accept the patient who could pay for their services.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think lack of qualified medical staff is a massive issue, and why we see so many people wandering around without limbs as well. And might be why so many people will not go to hospital unless they are carried there.

I remember when you got shot Matilda, sounds silly to say you are a lucky lady given the circumstances, but as you say 3 clinics later and seconds to spare.
That there was no one who could carry out a tracheotomy AT THE PUBLIC HOSPITAL is alarming, to say the least.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
listin run a story on a sorry state of ICU in DR and the fact that there are so few beds/spaces available:
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...bote-de-pacientes-en-centros-de-salud-no-para

in a way, i understand the position of those hospitals: a patient in a critical state arrives but hospital A has no room/equipment/staff to treat the person so they send them to hospital B. what good would it be just to admit that patient and then let them die? it's another story that every hospital should have enough room/equipment/staff to treat emergencies as they come.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The clinic who did the tracheotomy did it in the wrong place. Yes it saved my life but they cut through my vocal chords.Another issue was that Plaza de la Salud needed a 30,000 peso deposit even though we had insurance or they would not insert the chest drains. Remember you need access to immediate cash to go to an emergency room. This was 10 years ago so I am sure the price has gone up now. They do have an ATM outside the ER.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
79 years old. What underlying health issues does he have? The general level of health care in this country is low. You can find good care if you look ahead of time
He might not have lived no matter where he was , however, the delay in providing care was.most likely lethal. In a first world country he had a chance, here, not so much. Condolences to the family.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The clinic who did the tracheotomy did it in the wrong place. Yes it saved my life but they cut through my vocal chords.Another issue was that Plaza de la Salud needed a 30,000 peso deposit even though we had insurance or they would not insert the chest drains. Remember you need access to immediate cash to go to an emergency room. This was 10 years ago so I am sure the price has gone up now. They do have an ATM outside the ER.

I'm sure that happened to you but I must say they've never asked me cash in any ER and if I have to pay a difference they accept my card. This would be Corazones Unidos or Abel Gonzalez.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
inability to do a tracheotomy is difficult to believe. EMS providers in the US have this as routine training.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
does not sound like not having room, equipment or staff. These are routine emergency medical procedures. You admit the patient, stabilize them and then move them to a more appropiate facility. Its plain incompetence

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'm sure that happened to you but I must say they've never asked me cash in any ER and if I have to pay a difference they accept my card. This would be Corazones Unidos or Abel Gonzalez.

yeah, but then, have you ever arrived to emergency unconscious and bleeding like a slaughtered animal?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In a discussion on social media between Dominicans one mentioned being asked for RD$80,000 at 11pm to be accepted as a patient in a critical condition.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In a discussion on social media between Dominicans one mentioned being asked for RD$80,000 at 11pm to be accepted as a patient in a critical condition.

I think it was JDJones who told me that Clinica Abreu requires 70-80,000 peso deposit from every patient upon admittance, insurance or not. Supposedly unused balance is refunded.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It is very sad, the hospitals here and the staff which resemble the same abilities we see across the country. Not much difference between a nurse at a reputable(lol)
hospital and a muchacha or a cashier at Jumbo.
I had a operation here where the nurse supporting the doctor, had no clue where the instruments were or how to use them.
Add the fact she spent most of her time texting on the smartphone, handling instruments with here bare hands while texting on a dirty phone. They only put
gloves on once they contaminated the instruments etc. I would guess the DR has one of the worst medical systems in Latin America

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Certainly it varies. I had blood work done at Clinica Union Medica on Wednesday and the nurse/technician taking the blood, put on latex gloves, wiped the insertion spot with alcohol , poked me in the correct spot, and carried out the whole procedure in the same manner as I've had a hundred times in Canada. My wife has gall bladder surgery coming up and it will be done with an orthoscopic procedure by Dr Miguel Marte, a surgeon she has had a prior surgery with.
My Cardiologist at Union Medica is Dr Johnny Cabrera Tavarez who was trained in Habana Cuba and seems very knowledgeable and professional, and I have a lot of experience dealing with Cardiologists from several countries.
I agree 100% about most of the nurses, and cleaning staff as well. The emergency rooms are for the most parts breeding grounds for diseases.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
I am surprised to read that Cedimat and Clinica Abreu did not accept the patient who could pay for their services.
I once went to clinca abreu because I couldn't **** and I needed a cathader. I have human a platinum coverage. After I was initially admitted the er nurse came in and asked me who my doctor was affiliated with. I told her that he is affiliated with a clinic about 45 minutes away. She told me I needed to leave and go there. She was saying it with an attitude so I left without arguing. I wasn't going to let her near my member at that point. Knowing I wasn't going to make it to my doctors clinic in time, I walked a block away and found another clinic and the nurse took care of it like a professional.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Certainly it varies. I had blood work done at Clinica Union Medica on Wednesday and the nurse/technician taking the blood, put on latex gloves, wiped the insertion spot with alcohol , poked me in the correct spot, and carried out the whole procedure in the same manner as I've had a hundred times in Canada. My wife has gall bladder surgery coming up and it will be done with an orthoscopic procedure by Dr Miguel Marte, a surgeon she has had a prior surgery with.
My Cardiologist at Union Medica is Dr Johnny Cabrera Tavarez who was trained in Habana Cuba and seems very knowledgeable and professional, and I have a lot of experience dealing with Cardiologists from several countries.
I agree 100% about most of the nurses, and cleaning staff as well. The emergency rooms are for the most parts breeding grounds for diseases.

I also had a good experience at Clinica Union Medica. It was a holiday and I had to go to the emergency room. Granted my needs were basic but I was somewhat impressed.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
wow, Matilda you are lucky to be alive as I am sure you realize. Did the botched tracheotomy damage your vocal cords?